• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

PvP Arena (Reworked) Feedback

Ebeondi Asi

You also lose less points if you have a very weak fighting force for PvP defense I am using one Bronze Spearfighter. and deleted my St Basil tossed the city defense towers too. I have some City % due to a few sets with bits of city defense and Terracotta Army, plus Carousels. but nothing else for city or PvP defense. not needed at all. ((The only City Defense that works well is Collect on Time))
The weak defense does not lower the attackers score, so (as I mentioned before here, it is a win win. (since most of the time defenders lose. I can beat defenses with 1000 + percent defense three Era up LOL)
So IMO there is no point in adding to defense in PvP. Also because I only get 120 to 205 per loss max five times a day, and win over 430 to 525 each time endlessly

Pericles the Lion

I think that the best strategy is to accept 5 daily defeats while battling enough to achieve a net gain of 3300 points (100K/month) per day. Small investment of time, no city space wasted on putting up an anemic defense and staying in the #51-500 bracket has been easy.

Aethelcatt VIII

Only your first 5 defensive battles each day count against you (or for you if you win). After that, they don't even show up on your log. Since you pretty much always lose them all, who attacks you first 5 times is largely irrelevant. You lose less points for folks fighting down 1 age and more for folks fighting up one1-3 ages, but it's not enough to worry about.
This game definitely seems to be stacked against the defenders. There is another player I keep running into the last couple of days, and we routinely beat each other when attacking, but neither of us has won one fight while defending. I guess that's because (1) people tend to have more attacking boost that defending boost, and (2) the AI running the defense is just not all that smart.

Pericles the Lion

This game definitely seems to be stacked against the defenders. There is another player I keep running into the last couple of days, and we routinely beat each other when attacking, but neither of us has won one fight while defending. I guess that's because (1) people tend to have more attacking boost that defending boost, and (2) the AI running the defense is just not all that smart.
Agreed. Before PvP there was little incentive to boost city defense. Motivated buildings and GBs can't be plundered. That, and "collect on time" removes the need for big city defense. Nothing has changed with the introduction of PvP. Make the rewards really worth the effort AND increase the penalty for losing on defense and I will start boosting my defense. Until then, meh.

Aethelcatt VIII

Agreed. Before PvP there was little incentive to boost city defense. Motivated buildings and GBs can't be plundered. That, and "collect on time" removes the need for big city defense. Nothing has changed with the introduction of PvP. Make the rewards really worth the effort AND increase the penalty for losing on defense and I will start boosting my defense. Until then, meh.
True that. I look at the buildings in my city and I see very few that can be plundered on a typical day and I would actually care much about. If someone wants to go through all the trouble to steal an eight-hour supply production of a witch doctor, be my guest.

Still, I don't particularly like getting attacked, even though most of the attackers evidently do it just for the points and don't plunder. So I do like to put up a decent defense to help persuade them to try elsewhere. You know, like that old story goes, I don't need to run faster than the bear; I just need to run faster than the guy next to me. :-D

Then again, a decent defense may also help attract the attackers looking for points... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Joeyjojojo

Then again, a decent defense may also help attract the attackers looking for points... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm sure there are still some players who are trying to get points, but most of them are using GBG to do it (and GvG)--farming neighbors just doesn't pay much.

I tried the PvP feature for a bit. It isn't hard to get to 100k points in a month but it is rather tedious, and really not worth it to me. I'm likely going to ignore it completely going forward. Big swing and a miss imo, based on the apparent effort that went into it. Rewards are not terrible if you're newer and in the building-things-up phase, but hardly worth the effort for longer time players (some of whom will certainly be all over this, but not likely for the rewards). A special building that is only available here and is on par with SoH or the Art Exhibition would change things up for me...at least until I got one.

I do like that if you get kicked for inactivity you don't have to deal with that bouncing exclamation point. Making this feature easier to ignore is the best thing about it. I wish they'd do the same for the cultural settlements when none are active.

Aethelcatt VIII

I'm sure there are still some players who are trying to get points, but most of them are using GBG to do it (and GvG)--farming neighbors just doesn't pay much.

I tried the PvP feature for a bit. It isn't hard to get to 100k points in a month but it is rather tedious, and really not worth it to me. I'm likely going to ignore it completely going forward. Big swing and a miss imo, based on the apparent effort that went into it. Rewards are not terrible if you're newer and in the building-things-up phase, but hardly worth the effort for longer time players (some of whom will certainly be all over this, but not likely for the rewards). A special building that is only available here and is on par with SoH or the Art Exhibition would change things up for me...at least until I got one.

I do like that if you get kicked for inactivity you don't have to deal with that bouncing exclamation point. Making this feature easier to ignore is the best thing about it. I wish they'd do the same for the cultural settlements when none are active.
"Tedious" is indeed the word. After you fight the same guy nine times on the same day as I did yesterday (or seven time as I did today), you know exactly what units you'll be facing the next time and you would put out exactly the right kind of units to defeat them; the rest of it is all simply going through the motion.

ant..

"Tedious" is indeed the word. After you fight the same guy nine times on the same day as I did yesterday (or seven time as I did today), you know exactly what units you'll be facing the next time and you would put out exactly the right kind of units to defeat them; the rest of it is all simply going through the motion.
So, why not attack the opponent at the top? Mine are all AI and change their weapons every time. I mean, if you are looking for a challenge instead of just "going through the motion"

Pericles the Lion

So, why not attack the opponent at the top? Mine are all AI and change their weapons every time. I mean, if you are looking for a challenge instead of just "going through the motion"
I'm in CA. The top opponent is always AI. Most of the time PE or ME which has me fighting with CA troops on the PE map against boosted troops. If I get to choose an Indy opponent they invariably have advanced era (PME) troops. I have not once been matched against an Indy opponent with Indy troops. I don't mind a challenge but I'm bringing a knife to a gunfight.

Aethelcatt VIII

I do when I see one I feel I can take on. But if the guy is from two eras ahead of me and has >100% attack and defense boosts, nah, that's too much of a challenge.

ant..

I do when I see one I feel I can take on. But if the guy is from two eras ahead of me and has >100% attack and defense boosts, nah, that's too much of a challenge.
You are the one calling it tedious, which implies you want a challenge. Get stronger. I'm in OF, the opponent at the top is either Mars or Asteroid. some of them i can't beat, so i wait for the refresh button. Others, i can beat most of the time. It is never tedious because I refuse to settle for the easy wins of my own age. We all know we can beat them, since we can beat everyone in our 'hood. If you can't do that, you need to do some pushups.

ant..

I'm in CA. The top opponent is always AI. Most of the time PE or ME which has me fighting with CA troops on the PE map against boosted troops. If I get to choose an Indy opponent they invariably have advanced era (PME) troops. I have not once been matched against an Indy opponent with Indy troops. I don't mind a challenge but I'm bringing a knife to a gunfight.
Get a gun.

ant..

I deleted my army and dropped from the 50's to the 130's in global ranking. Didn't check the points lost, but around 50-60 thousand.

Ebeondi Asi

You forget you gain points from a successful defense.
The main problem is the cost of owning a "successful defense" 1,000D is not enough, plus you need at least 750A to go with it. And then you will still lose at least half the fights, (and the five loss limit comes into play you will lose five anyway..LOL)
And the space needed to carry that big city defense is large. (the only bit that sort of is free is from Terracotta Army)
To own such a huge City (PvP) defense takes a that space away from fighting attack.defense. or FP production.
To some it may be worthwhile. For status, for prestige?? To me (since protecting my actual city is meaningless as I just am not getting plundered.. attacked sure. plundered never.) the way to play is to maximize what creates value. and PvP is so tiny in the whole, it just does not make sense to build up defense for it. (since City defense is also basically meaningless if one collects on time)
Now if a player already had a huge city defense, then yes it makes sense to keep it as it helps PvP.
But for me and many others who ignored/dropped City defense. PvP is not a reason to start now.

Last edited:

Pericles the Lion

I deleted my army and dropped from the 50's to the 130's in global ranking. Didn't check the points lost, but around 50-60 thousand.
Thanks for the news. I just earned Crystal and then deleted my army and restarted. Lost 55K points, dropping from #83 to #199. Still comfortably in the #51-#500 bracket.

OGITH

now if Only WE can SEE the Battles in the PVP Arena LOG to SEE How the People Lost to our Defending Units :D

Ebeondi Asi

I am glad the losers can't see how they lost.. LOL
I am beating players three Era ahead with big defense.. I do not want them to know my secrets for winning.