• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

PvP fun or harassment

Starman52

I am not a PvP player - although our guild does participate in the guild battlegrounds. Yet I am constantly being attacked by players who are in PvP. For a player who chooses not to be in PvP and is repeatedly attacked by way more powerful players, this is just harassment and should not be permitted. Heck, I play another game that is a strictly battle quest game and even there you are not forced to participate in PvP is you don't want to, they have specific areas for players who want to do PvP, go there and you are fair game. If that type of game can do this why in the world can't FoE???

Agent327

Once you have researched Militairy Tactics you are in PvP. So you are not forced at all. You have chosen to be in it.

Emberguard

Not every game out there allows you to choose when you’re attacked. You’re either playing or you’re not. FoE was designed as a city based war game. In war you don’t get to choose when your opponent is ready to attack. In war you take what you have and try to turn it to your advantage to win. You have to prepare your city to either cope with the losses or find a way to counter those attacks.

Tip: anything motivated can’t be plundered. So once you start getting event buildings you’ll be able to get plunderproof resources

Also keep in mind you get to make progress on your productions when you’re not on the computer. Most games that require you to log in do so because you can’t make progress when you’re logged out

Last edited:

UP ONLINE

PVP is a main part of the game a great way to get goods from others i get plundered some time its no big deal key keep track of the time and collect them in a timely manor OR you will be PLUNDERED
of activate a city shield !

DevaCat

Go to the Guides section and check out "Understanding why you are being attacked and plundered, and what to do about it" if you would like to learn how to reduce your frustration. It can be dealt with.

This game does not segregate pvp and non-pvp players except for the case of players who remain in Iron Age and don't research Military Tactics who are thus sheltered from pvp attacks. If they stay there they of course will miss out on the rest of the game.

Starman52

Okay, thanks for the good advice. I will check out the thread mentioned above. We play another game which is specifically a dungeon plundering game and is a multi-player game, the game is entirely about fighting. Even with that game, you go to specific areas on the map only if you want to do PvP, and are immune to PvP otherwise, it's really not difficult as a dev to set it up like that, so what's the big deal. Granted, in several war games we've played you can lose all your goods and troops by being attacked, whereas in FoE that is not the case thank goodness or FoE would lose a lot of revenue by new players being victimized by much larger players.

We've been playing for a while and have observed maybe a little better than 50% rate of new players who actually stay with playing FoE. Perhaps those numbers should tell the people something.

DevaCat

Okay, thanks for the good advice. I will check out the thread mentioned above. We play another game which is specifically a dungeon plundering game and is a multi-player game, the game is entirely about fighting. Even with that game, you go to specific areas on the map only if you want to do PvP, and are immune to PvP otherwise, it's really not difficult as a dev to set it up like that, so what's the big deal. Granted, in several war games we've played you can lose all your goods and troops by being attacked, whereas in FoE that is not the case thank goodness or FoE would lose a lot of revenue by new players being victimized by much larger players.

We've been playing for a while and have observed maybe a little better than 50% rate of new players who actually stay with playing FoE. Perhaps those numbers should tell the people something.
I'm sure Inno has a very good idea about what's happening with new player retention, better than any wag any of us can come up with. It's their game and their livelihood. Players leave for a number of reasons -- gameplay too slow for their tastes, discovering a strategy game isn't what they were looking for, friends leaving to play some other game. Some leave because they feel victimized, instead of learning the game and how to deal with it. If any of this was impacting Inno's bottom line you can be sure they would make changes.

It hasn't, and they won't. The big deal as you put it is that Inno decided at the game's inception to not segregate pvp in the manner of that other game you described. They are having a long successful run with the game as designed, and that tells me something.

Emberguard

Granted, in several war games we've played you can lose all your goods and troops by being attacked, whereas in FoE that is not the case thank goodness or FoE would lose a lot of revenue by new players being victimized by much larger players.
If that were the case I'd expect a far better developed defending army system

That won't necessarily point just to plundering though. You're assuming that those who leave and were plundered wouldn't have left anyway if plundering never existed once game difficulty increases past Colonial Age. Plus many players have multiple cities. So you'd need to factor that into who's actually leaving and who's just closing down a side city.

If it is plundering then you've got some questions to ask such as who's the target market and are the advertisements bringing in the correct audience? The whole purpose of the city is war and supporting those efforts while you go through the ages. There's no way around that without turning it into an entirely different game. And if you did you risk not just losing the players you have but also weakening the product in the process.

Out of the players I've talked to the main recurring theme I've noticed is those who quit either aren't really interested in this kind of game or don't have a grasp on game mechanics. Because once you sit down with someone and talk them through strategies on how to improve city layout or make a strong economy they generally have a much better interest in the game unless they just don't want a war game at all.

There's also another thing that would have a significant impact on player retention: the current global crisis. You're naturally going to have a shift between new players coming in and going out based on how peoples schedules change from that. FoE isn't exactly designed to have you looking at it all day every day non-stop

Starman52

Both comments are valid and there isn't any way to actually be certain of why people coming to the game decide to leave. The war games that we've played are certainly that, war games. Strategy games are much slower as the gameplay is different than an actual war game, and anyone who likes first-person shooters will be bored silly by any strategy game. These are certainly valid points and the bottom line is money. Inno doesn't do their games out of the goodness of their hearts it's all about money. As long as they are making money they will continue to remain the same and most devs won't change things anyway, as they have their own concepts and don't really care what players think or would like to see, if we don't like it go somewhere else.

I would bet that each of you who have commented in favor of plundering, are no doubt at a level where you no longer are, eh LOL!!!

A company can also decide that a game they produce is not going to be profitable for much longer and ignore players inputs, so it isn't necessarily a correct position to say that they won't change something because it is successful, it can also be due to a phase-out process. Just saying :)

CommanderCool1234

Out of the players I've talked to the main recurring theme I've noticed is those who quit either aren't really interested in this kind of game or don't have a grasp on game mechanics. Because once you sit down with someone and talk them through strategies on how to improve city layout or make a strong economy they generally have a much better interest in the game unless they just don't want a war game at all.
I have to say I completely agree with this statment, once you acually start understanding the game it becomes much more fun.

CommanderCool1234

A company can also decide that a game they produce is not going to be profitable for much longer and ignore players inputs, so it isn't necessarily a correct position to say that they won't change something because it is successful, it can also be due to a phase-out process. Just saying :)
What makes you think forge of empires is dying, it makes tons of money a year and they are still working hard to make events so why would they do that if they were going to shut it down.

Just An Observer

One does not play FoE as much as one works it when properly done. There is always something to do! The more you do the better for your cause.

Lady Gato

Again, it is your choice which game you play. I do not like the car chases or the shoot em up games. So I don't play those games. Why do people start to play FOE and then don't like the basic concept and decide to complain about it instead of quitting? Come on people!

ArrowsOfTime

Not every game out there allows you to choose when you’re attacked. You’re either playing or you’re not. FoE was designed as a city based war game. In war you don’t get to choose when your opponent is ready to attack. In war you take what you have and try to turn it to your advantage to win. You have to prepare your city to either cope with the losses or find a way to counter those attacks.

Tip: anything motivated can’t be plundered. So once you start getting event buildings you’ll be able to get plunderproof resources

Also keep in mind you get to make progress on your productions when you’re not on the computer. Most games that require you to log in do so because you can’t make progress when you’re logged out
what, anything with aids cant be taken, HOW, i plunder more than anyman alive and i have never had that prob,

DevaCat

Aw, now you know those people don't just complain. First they play for a couple of weeks (or days if ambitious) and then create a forum account, where their first post is in the Ideas section! :D

@Starman52, that comment isn't aimed at you btw. I've just gotten a little jaded(?), less understanding of people who play the game for a short time and want to change it into something it is not. I don't see Inno ignoring player inputs as you put it, quite the contrary -- there have been a number of player requests which have recently been added to the game. But suggesting that not making your suggested change might be due to a "phase-out process" is stretching it a bit far don't you think?

As far as being at a level where I am no longer being plundered -- lol, I'm not sure that level actually exists. Last neighborhood rotation I got attacked and plundered repeatedly by a long-term camper. What made it sweeter was that it was the second rotation with this guy -- that's right, four weeks in a row dealing with him. I mean, who plunders an unmotivated SoK? I had some things down that weren't plunder proof, and now they are.

Now I might consider that player to be a bully (or at least a jerk), but he is simply playing his game, which is to be a big fish in a small pond. I can't change what he does, nor would I ask Inno to change the game to suit my needs. What I can do is to change up my game to make his actions a non-issue, which I have done. You will have to decide for yourself how to deal with the issue.

Emberguard

As far as being at a level where I am no longer being plundered -- lol, I'm not sure that level actually exists
really would boil down to what you value most and if you’re prepared to make deliberate steps towards plunderproof no matter what the cost is. Won’t necessarily be optimal but that doesn’t mean it couldn’t be done by removing all goods buiidlings, special productions, sets, using only motivatable buildings and using the Antiques Dealer to get anything you can afford

Starman52

All good points (AND I AM STILL PLAYING) but I would like to correct one misconception, I never said Inno was phasing out FoE I just said that it's not always a valid argument to say something is making money but COULD be phased out if the long term payoffs weren't worth the cost. I am impressed that some of you actually have access to Inno's books to know how much they are making :)

I am taking some of the steps to heart that many of you have shared to help me to be in a better position to (at least) not make my city as much of a target - there are always bigger fish LOL