• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Quarantine + summer might be the worst thing ever.

Farfle the smelly

For the next week it’s going to be 110. And I don’t even live in Vegas. That means the little semblance of peace I receive from taking a walk during quarantine is no more.

It’s utterly disgusting outside. I watered my plants and immediately came inside to shower. Humidity is at about 80% (suppose to rain). There’s only so many times I can mentally visit the Viking settlement before I want to throw my phone across the room.

Anybody have some good distractions? Mine aren’t working...

Last edited:

Lady Gato

Ummm it is 95% humidity here. Our a/c isn't working right. I have had two different a/c companies out here working on it. But I have several fans, heavy curtains on the windows, film on the windows, and at least I don't have to wear a fur coat like my cat and dog. :)

DevaCat

Heh, I'll trade you our 115 for your 110 (I'm not in Vegas either), but you can keep that humidity thanks! We have been setting record overnight lows, last few have been around 92.

With low humidity here a shower or garden hose helps. There I dunno. Binge watch any movie with a mountain and glacier in it while sticking your head in and out of the freezer? Eiger Sanction. Vertical Limit. Frozen? (Lol, watch out for ear worms!)

Lady Gato

At this moment it is pouring down rain here. And we desperately needed rain. But it is thundering and lightning so no walk for me either.

Lady Gato

Never thought of that - yes lightning is a noun and a verb. And I have a scared 110 lb catahoula leopard who isn't real happy that it is happening.

Farfle the smelly

Heh, I'll trade you our 115 for your 110 (I'm not in Vegas either), but you can keep that humidity thanks! We have been setting record overnight lows, last few have been around 92.

With low humidity here a shower or garden hose helps. There I dunno. Binge watch any movie with a mountain and glacier in it while sticking your head in and out of the freezer? Eiger Sanction. Vertical Limit. Frozen? (Lol, watch out for ear worms!)

Hehe, I had green otter pops for breakfast today, speaking of. I felt like I was 12 years old again. And then I went outside. Meh.

Lady Gato

Hehe, I had green otter pops for breakfast today, speaking of. I felt like I was 12 years old again. And then I went outside. Meh.
Glad you are feeling better. We had a busy day here -- propane delivery truck delivered propane, farrier came to take care of our horse's hooves, I actually had a doctor visit at my house (who knew they still do that?), the pest control guy came to do his monthly service and hubby changed the universal joint in his truck. My dog ended up hoarse from barking and slept most of the afternoon away after all the visitors. Luckily our humidity was only 60% today.

DevaCat

I'm still trying to figure out what a catahoula leopard is?

Meanwhile, here in hell-- the Valley of the Sun, we are heading for another record high. It's been running about 11 degrees hotter than normal and records have been dropping right and left. Had some lightning last night, but only blowing dust. :(

Farfle the smelly

I'm still trying to figure out what a catahoula leopard is?

Meanwhile, here in hell-- the Valley of the Sun, we are heading for another record high. It's been running about 11 degrees hotter than normal and records have been dropping right and left. Had some lightning last night, but only blowing dust. :(
Yuck! I always think about the poor animals that are stuck in this heat. And then I think about the homeless stuck in this heat. And then I get super angry and reiterate how much I loathe summer entirely. Being a winter girl, this is anathema to my soul.

Nicholas002

Yuck! I always think about the poor animals that are stuck in this heat. And then I think about the homeless stuck in this heat. And then I get super angry and reiterate how much I loathe summer entirely. Being a winter girl, this is anathema to my soul.
Fall is my favorite season for several reasons, not the least of which is the awesome weather.
Speaking of Fall, i am ready for the next event :)

Lady Gato

Yes, @Farfle the smelly I have a horse or rather my husband has a horse. My horse I sold years ago so I had $ for college. @DevaCat a catahoula leopard is the state dog of Louisiana. I have a posted a pic of him when he was about a year old. He's bigger now. About 110-120 lb. Probably he will fill out and end up at 130-140 lb. And yes he is an inside dog with the benefits of our half air conditioned house. His best friend is our siamese cat who is only 7 lb. Winter here lasts about 1.5 to 2 months. Fall lasts about 1.5 - 2 weeks. LOL. We start having spring usually in February. Blue got his name from his eyes which are both crystal blue.

blue.JPGblue.JPG

DevaCat

Thanks for that link @Glaun. You know, I keep forgetting there's a guy named Google who can answer stuff like that. :D @Lady Gato, he's a good looking boy. I was kind of thinking "catahoula leopard" was your pet name for a big dog who wants to be a lap cat when it's thundering outside! Looks like I wasn't too far off! Siamese are great with dogs; my Mom had one whose buddy was a big old Rottweiler.

My desert cat, Deva, is a (mostly) Russian Blue shelter rescue. She likes to watch lightning through the windows, doesn't mind getting rained on (which rarely happens anyway) and doesn't freak at thunder. She does still jump when I collect the Pirate Ship, and if I happen to sneeze she flys out of the room as if she was chased by banshees. Cats can be strange lol.

Another 115 degree record here today. I can't remember what Fall is like, although it was once my favorite season I think. The heat is playing with my mind. I know when it's Spring because if we've had any rain at all wildflowers, mostly Mexican Daisies and some lupines, pop up out front much to the annoyance of my neighbors who prefer their sterile gravel yards. Winter is a couple of weeks when we flirt with 32 or the very rare upper 20s. It seems like it's always Summer here and it lasts forever. Anyone with the means or good sense goes away from here right now!

And yeah, this is the karma I have to go through so that I can rub it in about our good weather when everyone else is complaining about subzero temps, snow, sleet, ice. Snow and ice, sigh.

Farfle the smelly

Yes, @Farfle the smelly I have a horse or rather my husband has a horse. My horse I sold years ago so I had $ for college. @DevaCat a catahoula leopard is the state dog of Louisiana. I have a posted a pic of him when he was about a year old. He's bigger now. About 110-120 lb. Probably he will fill out and end up at 130-140 lb. And yes he is an inside dog with the benefits of our half air conditioned house. His best friend is our siamese cat who is only 7 lb. Winter here lasts about 1.5 to 2 months. Fall lasts about 1.5 - 2 weeks. LOL. We start having spring usually in February. Blue got his name from his eyes which are both crystal blue.

140lb is a BIG boy. I love that his bestie is cat. <3