• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

QUEST OVERVIEW

• Thread starter DeletedUser29247
  • Start date

DeletedUser28832

I keep the window scrolled down, and the 2 RQs always stay at the bottom, with the rarely used Story quest above, invisible. :)

I don't know how you're doing that. As soon as I complete a RQ and collect the reward, then the quests re-sort again. Invariably, the hidden storyline is right back in view.

DeletedUser

I don't know how you're doing that. As soon as I complete a RQ and collect the reward, then the quests re-sort again. Invariably, the hidden storyline is right back in view.
Maybe I have a magic interface? Seriously, I don't know how mine doesn't scroll back up, but it doesn't. Maybe I'm subconsciously scrolling down as I open it? If so, it might be something that comes with repeated use. Like muscle memory.

DeletedUser30943

This is a mockup of what I was thinking, using the UBQ as an example.
upload_2017-9-12_16-0-7.png
Once the quest was complete, "Collect" would go where "Abort" is now, and "Repeat" could go where "Pay" is now.

Even ignoring my editing hack job, this would probably need a bit of prettying up, but the idea is that it puts the Abort and Collect buttons in a consistent position and, in most cases, removes vertical space from every quest. The only time it might conceivably add vertical space is if there were multiple rewards. Even then, though, I doubt it would add much.

DeletedUser28832

This is a mockup of what I was thinking, using the UBQ as an example.
View attachment 7257
Once the quest was complete, "Collect" would go where "Abort" is now, and "Repeat" could go where "Pay" is now.

Even ignoring my editing hack job, this would probably need a bit of prettying up, but the idea is that it puts the Abort and Collect buttons in a consistent position and, in most cases, removes vertical space from every quest. The only time it might conceivably add vertical space is if there were multiple rewards. Even then, though, I doubt it would add much.

Makes sense to optimize the space with points of interaction instead of spreading them (buttons, etc..) around the UI. My problem collecting today was not the discrete quest boxes, but instead how the boxes behaved. One storyline and 2 RQ's were open. Once I completed an RQ, they 3 spots re-sorted and invariably now I was looking at 1 RQ and the storyline that I didn't want. That sorting , by itself, really slowed things down.

DeletedUser30943

Makes sense to optimize the space with points of interaction instead of spreading them (buttons, etc..) around the UI. My problem collecting today was not the discrete quest boxes, but instead how the boxes behaved. One storyline and 2 RQ's were open. Once I completed an RQ, they 3 spots re-sorted and invariably now I was looking at 1 RQ and the storyline that I didn't want. That sorting , by itself, really slowed things down.
Yeah, there were complaints about that in the beta thread as well. The solution a lot of people proposed was to have new quests come in at the top. I think someone else suggested putting RQs on their own tab.

DeletedUser28832

Yeah, there were complaints about that in the beta thread as well. The solution a lot of people proposed was to have new quests come in at the top. I think someone else suggested putting RQs on their own tab.

I'd say, RQ/SQ/BQ are in a tab separate from storyline. Then lock the quests into the 1-2-3 spaces. They don't move up or down. They just abort/cycle through the available quests.

DeletedUser12620

This new quest update allows me to cycle twice as fast on my worlds and takes about one minute to cycle to the quest I want and spend let's say forge points, supplies, and coins!

DeletedUser30312

I've used it a bit, and it's not too bad. The biggest problem seems to be how it places a new quest at the bottom, and a quest that's ready to complete gets bumped to the top. Maybe if new quests went in at the top it'd be more convenient, though I don't know how that'd affect people at the end of the quest line.

DeletedUser28832

I've used it a bit, and it's not too bad. The biggest problem seems to be how it places a new quest at the bottom, and a quest that's ready to complete gets bumped to the top. Maybe if new quests went in at the top it'd be more convenient, though I don't know how that'd affect people at the end of the quest line.

Yup. When you have 2 or more recurring quests lines open, every time you complete a quest the 'tiles' get re-sorted. On a PC it's tolerable (sort of), but on a tablet or worse phone, its so slow and cumbersome (to me) that it rules out using those apps to play the gain (or at least collect quests).

DawnLight the Just

they change things for the better i like the new quest overview tbh
An example of an improvement would be like -- If a quest says "Collect 200 of each good from your present age", at present it just says 845. I have no idea which goods I still need and how much of each. An improvement would tell me exactly how many of each good I have so I know what to work towards.

DeletedUser28021

Much faster is an overstatement. I've used the old interfaces on both mobile and PC, and the mobile was somewhat faster, but that was negated to some extent by the fact that I had lag on mobile that I did not have on PC. The new interface is faster on PC, not slower. I can blow through the abort cycle in about 1/4 the time it took before on PC, with less hand movement. If you were used to mostly using the mobile quest interface, you probably wouldn't notice that the new one is faster on PC, but it is. I am actually thinking about reviving some of my cities now that questing is faster.

Interesting. I've consistently had worse lag on desktop, at least when both are using the same network connection. Once when I was on vacation, using hotel wifi, the desktop lag - for everything, not just turning in quests - was so bad that the game was unplayable, but I was able to keep up with collections, mopo, and GE via a not-very-large-screened Android phone. The battery drained real fast, but I could play. My iPhone (acquired a bit later) was adequate even when connecting via cellular.

DeletedUser28021

Maybe I have a magic interface? Seriously, I don't know how mine doesn't scroll back up, but it doesn't. Maybe I'm subconsciously scrolling down as I open it? If so, it might be something that comes with repeated use. Like muscle memory.

Might be a diffrence between web browsers. But also I think behaviour has changed since the new interface first came out, even while I always used the same Safari. Now when I complete an abortable quest, its replacement moves from the top of the scrollign window to the bottom, but the window automatically scrolls to it. Whereas I distinctly remember scrolling manually right after I noticed the new interface. Maybe I was simply moving too fast - scrolling manually before the auto scroll could take over. There is a noticeable pause between collecting, new quest being drawn, and then the window autoscrolling to the new one.

DeletedUser28021

I just started reading the comments about the changes in the Quest Overview. Up to page 2. Will finish reading later to see what everyone has to say. It detracts from the game when you see windows all over the screen. I for one, like a cleaner UI. Must admit that was a genius idea to organize events and quests into their own separate windows. You have to be careful in choosing the colors you use. For instance, I find the window harsh on the eyes when I go to donate fps to Great Buildings. The way the screen was displayed before the change was much easier on the eyes.

A little birdie told me, or was it a crow? Less clutter and beautiful surroundings help your creativity grow.​

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I didn't find the old interface ugly, and I don't find the new interface beautiful.

And even if I did, if you give me a choice between poor function and ugly appearance, I take the good function every time.

lemur

I don't believe the Abort button was always in the same place between quests under that system.

Yes, it definitely was. I would know — given how often I selected it and how accustomed my wrist became to flicking the mouse back and forth. :)

In any event, even for someone like you who's mastered the old cycle, the time between quests has now been reduced.

My experience tells me that's not true — for the reasons I mentioned already: elaborate moving graphics and buttons scattered in different locations.

I agree that having the Abort button in exactly the same place between quests would be enormously helpful.

I chose the option of turning it off permanently. So that's a moot point for me now.

lemur

This evening there was a long delay of more than ten minutes before the quest system loaded and became active. Meanwhile, my shrines and supply production buildings reached their 24-hour cycle, and I had to collect everything without the benefit of completing recurring quests.

InnoGames encourages players to build villages on multiple worlds, but then they create barriers to moving smoothly from one world to the next.

A longstanding problem with InnoGames seems to be their disinterest in making the game suitable for people with real lives. Their business model is actually based on enticing game addiction. Inno is your friendly cyberhood pusher. For example, that's why the Taverns have only 16 chairs, rather than something similar in size to the number of friends that most players have. It's a feature that rewards those who interrupt their real lives more often to log in.

Similarly, the quest redesign was apparently created to include more quests with more short-duration tasks that entice players to never leave their computers. In other words, the redesign is another tool for game addiction.

Last edited:

lemur

They didn't refer to daily challenges directly but they were very clear about why they did this and why it was needed.

I have seen those "daily challenges" on Beta, and they're only "needed" to entice game addiction. Like so much of what InnoGames does with its product these days, it's a cynical move that disregards the integrity of the game, that disregards the welfare of the players, and seeks instead to maximize profit over all other values. A gaming addict is the kind of player most likely to spend real money to play — because addiction interferes with rational thought. For players with a healthy balance between real life and internet gaming, Forge of Empires has plenty of quests already — especially since InnoGames began running back-to-back events throughout the year.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Meanwhile, my shrines and supply production buildings reached their 24-hour cycle, and I had to collect everything without the benefit of completing recurring quests.
This makes no sense. You collect enough to fulfill one quest, collect it, cycle to it again, repeat. Why would you have to collect it all without completing the quests?
A longstanding problem with InnoGames seems to be their disinterest in making the game suitable for people with real lives. Their business model is actually based on enticing game addiction.
Surely not! A company that is interested in people constantly using their product? Unheard of!
It's a feature that rewards those who interrupt their real lives more often to log in.
And there's no other company that rewards frequent customers, is there? Not airlines, or restaurants, or grocery stores...oh, wait...all those and more do exactly that!
it's a cynical move that disregards the integrity of the game, that disregards the welfare of the players, and seeks instead to maximize profit over all other values.
Integrity of the game is a real hoot. It's such a surreal term to use for a browser game that I am unable to even respond to such absurdity. Inno is not responsible for my welfare, nor any other player's, so that's another absurd point to make about their moves. And they are a for profit company, you realize that, right?
Forge of Empires has plenty of quests already — especially since InnoGames began running back-to-back events throughout the year.
No argument here. Simple solution, though, if your real life commitments preclude adding more quests to your daily FoE time allotment...just don't do them. There, I solved that problem for you. Waiting with baited breath for your next stream of consciousness complaint. :D

DeletedUser28970

can we change the name of this thread to: "the Mosh Pit" ?

(oh wait, that's reserved for the "Plunder Progress" thread ... just in case it lives forever)

DeletedUser28832

I have seen those "daily challenges" on Beta, and they're only "needed" to entice game addiction. Like so much of what InnoGames does with its product these days, it's a cynical move that disregards the integrity of the game, that disregards the welfare of the players, and seeks instead to maximize profit over all other values. A gaming addict is the kind of player most likely to spend real money to play — because addiction interferes with rational thought. For players with a healthy balance between real life and internet gaming, Forge of Empires has plenty of quests already — especially since InnoGames began running back-to-back events throughout the year.

Really have to agree with you. I expect I'll ignore the daily challenge and focus on predictable returns from recurring quests on a 24 hour cycle. I'd rather guarantee (Colonial Age with CF) 2-3 FP packs, 600-900 medals, 150-180 goods, and BP's for a 5% chance of 1 good item. (Unless it's an SoK. World stops for shots at SoK's :)