• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Question

nsiebold

My city has been stuck in the tech tree for a couple of months now because I need Arctic Future goods. I have kept posting trades for the goods that I need and even switched Guilds to see if that would help. Nope! No one from outside of my Guild was even taking my trades, so now I'm thinking that this world is out of AF goods or that people have them and are just saving them for other uses (like GVG, GE, contests, etc.)

Emberguard

Have you looked through the market at what trades are available? If you need goods try taking some trades as well.

Also what ages are your friends in? Are they of an age where they’d even be generating Arctic Future goods?

Johnny B. Goode

If you're stuck in the tech tree due to a lack of the required goods, I'm sorry but that's on you, not on other players. If it was the campaign map, it could be that you're not in that age yet, but in the tech tree you have to be at least in the same or higher age as the goods required. So if you haven't made provisions for that in developing your city, then you have a playing style issue and not a bare market issue. You most likely rushed the ages and are now paying for it.

nsiebold

If you're stuck in the tech tree due to a lack of the required goods, I'm sorry but that's on you, not on other players. If it was the campaign map, it could be that you're not in that age yet, but in the tech tree you have to be at least in the same or higher age as the goods required. So if you haven't made provisions for that in developing your city, then you have a playing style issue and not a bare market issue. You most likely rushed the ages and are now paying for it.

My city is in OF (I didn't think I needed to say that, but here we are).

BruteForceAttack

Have you tried to post unfair trades? e.g. 1:1 Ocean to AF? or Try and post 2:1 FE to AF (these will get picked up real quick). You can also post in-game Global chat and someone may have it..

nsiebold

so you rushed the age. What's the point of this response besides confirming what SL said?
I didn't rush anything...I have been growing my city for 8+ years. If anything I have been going slower than molasses trying to run uphill.

Last edited:

nsiebold

but in the tech tree you have to be at least in the same or higher age as the goods required. .
FYI, some technologies in OF require AF goods.

So if you haven't made provisions for that in developing your city, then you have a playing style issue and not a bare market issue
I did have a stockpile of AF goods but I used them all up by searching for Promethium.

You most likely rushed the ages and are now paying for it.
See above.

nsiebold

I don't care you played this game since this game was created. If you run into a situation you short of goods in tech tree from your last age, you rushed the age.

seems like nothing but bad planning to me. especially after 8 years+ of playing
If you did all the planning ahead that you suggest, you would never actually build a building. Plus, planning too far ahead takes the fun out of playing a GAME. Would you play a game of chess after planning out all the moves and counter moves and determining a winner? Even football coaches only plan for at least four plays after 1st down.

This reminds me of the episode of Star Trek TOS where the crew beams down to a planet and gets caught up in a war that is totally computer simulated, complete with simulated damage and simulated casualties (but actual deaths).

icarusethan

If you did all the planning ahead that you suggest, you would never actually build a building.
i don't know the logic that leads into this statement but okay.
Plus, planning too far ahead takes the fun out of playing a GAME.
I think a lot of people in this forum gonna disagree.
Even football coaches only plan for at least four plays after 1st down.
if i have to use foot reference, i would say stockpiling your goods before you age up is like telling your o line how/who to block, and since you don't like doing that, you struggle as a team just like my lovely giants

Vger

I didn't rush anything...I have been growing my city for 8+ years. If anything I have been going slower than molasses trying to run uphill.
Just curious....It looks like you have 13 cities. Which one are you stuck in? Arvahall maybe?
Just looking at the stats and GB's in your higher ranked cities, I can't help thinking....WTF are you doing in OF in any of them?
If foestats is accurate, your highest level GB in those 13 cities is a level 14 Zeus. Is that right? If so....that explains a lot.

Maybe stop trying to juggle 13 cities? That's nuts. And you don't seem to be doing a very good job of it.

Johnny B. Goode

FYI, some technologies in OF require AF goods.
No kidding. Seems like my statement contained that bit of wisdom...at least to most folks.
I did have a stockpile of AF goods but I used them all up by searching for Promethium.
Yeah, I have a city in VF, so that lame excuse isn't going to fly here. This is just another self-confessed instance of poor planning.
Would you play a game of chess after planning out all the moves and counter moves and determining a winner?
Have you ever played chess against a really good player? Planning out moves and counter moves is the essence of the game.
Even football coaches only plan for at least four plays after 1st down.
Demonstrably wrong. In fact, some coaches script the first 15 or more plays they're going to run in a game. Coaches in fact spend their entire work existence planning for every possible situation in a game. During the season, teams have backup players simulate the upcoming opponent (called a scout team) to get the first team ready for their opponent's in-game tendencies.

I play all kinds of games. Computer games. Board games. Card games. Unless a game relies entirely on luck, planning and looking ahead is essential to playing any game well. And the key to actually enjoying the game. For example, I have a city that has gone through OF without running short of AF or OF goods. I have also always made sure I had enough of the special goods. As a result, I was able to get from FE to VF in an enjoyable manner. Never thought the game was unfair, or that I was the victim of other players not posting trades. I took my time in AF and built up enough of both AF goods and Promethium to last me through the next two ages. And when I did recently run a little short on Promethium, I was able to easily go to the Arctic Harbor and send the ship out for more without worrying about having enough goods. No stress. No running to the market to frantically search for trades. Just set it and wait for it to come back. Most players would say that my way is more fun than stressing over running out of goods due to not planning. But, as @RazorbackPirate would say, you do you.

Emberguard

Would you play a game of chess after planning out all the moves and counter moves and determining a winner?
well.... that's precisely what champions at chess do during their matches. Case in point:

You don't "have" to plan ahead. But your ability to do so on the fly will determine your options available and degree of success. If you don't want to plan ahead that's fine. If that's what you find fun don't plan. But that will mean you're relying on your ability to:
(1) produce goods in your city
(2) find players to trade with

If you did all the planning ahead that you suggest, you would never actually build a building
The problem isn't how far you plan ahead. It's how quickly you can take action. If your plan is holding you back from accomplishing anything then it needs reevaluating