• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Random number generator feature

Doc Gonzo...

I’m posting here before the idea/proposal thread. It’s less work to get shredded here than the formal idea thread.

At the behest of some, ah...“constructive” criticism, I’ve taken on more of a lead role in gbg. Myself and 2 other guild mates have started offering fp rewards to increase participation. These FPS will be awarded to a pool of people who qualify (I.e. exceed ‘x’ amount of fights/nego) and 3 will be chosen via a random number generator. Would a feature like this be fairly easy to implement in the game? I’m completely illiterate when it comes to coding and such, so I have no idea how hard or easy this would be for the devs to implement. I would imagine one would start a thread, and the generator would automatically post the winners, showing complete transparency. Lastly, is this something any other guild would even use? I’m not sure how prevalent a RNG is, if at all within peoples guilds.

Ok, fire away and thanks in advance for feedback

RazorbackPirate

Let me understand this. You came up with an idea that you want to try with your guild, so now you want Inno to expend resources to make your idea work?

Kek.

BruteForceAttack

I’m posting here before the idea/proposal thread. It’s less work to get shredded here than the formal idea thread.

At the behest of some, ah...“constructive” criticism, I’ve taken on more of a lead role in gbg. Myself and 2 other guild mates have started offering fp rewards to increase participation. These FPS will be awarded to a pool of people who qualify (I.e. exceed ‘x’ amount of fights/nego) and 3 will be chosen via a random number generator. Would a feature like this be fairly easy to implement in the game? I’m completely illiterate when it comes to coding and such, so I have no idea how hard or easy this would be for the devs to implement. I would imagine one would start a thread, and the generator would automatically post the winners, showing complete transparency. Lastly, is this something any other guild would even use? I’m not sure how prevalent a RNG is, if at all within peoples guilds.

Ok, fire away and thanks in advance for feedback

Google "random number generator", specify min and max values and click generate. why ask inno :)

Doc Gonzo...

Baffled? Really? You must baffle easily. I thought this would be the place to ask a couple questions. To be clear:

1) Admittedly I don’t know how difficult or how many resources it would take implement (was looking for feedback, which I received I suppose, in a way consistent with these forums), only if
2) Any other guild would use such a function

I found many RNG online but nothing that was postable for transparency reasons I.e. my brother and a couple friends and in my guild, it may look a little shady if one ore more win multiple weeks in a row. In any event, thank you Capitan, that looks like it would work just fine.

Algona

Baffled? Really? You must baffle easily. I thought this would be the place to ask a couple questions. To be clear:

1) Admittedly I don’t know how difficult or how many resources it would take implement (was looking for feedback, which I received I suppose, in a way consistent with these forums), only if
2) Any other guild would use such a function

I found many RNG online but nothing that was postable for transparency reasons I.e. my brother and a couple friends and in my guild, it may look a little shady if one ore more win multiple weeks in a row. In any event, thank you Capitan, that looks like it would work just fine.

I think it's not an unreasonable topic.

Could INNO provide such? Yeah, it wouldn't be technically difficult, The tough part would be in the UI.

Visualize a typical RNG as a black box with a slot. You write down two parameters, the lowest number, eg 1 and the highest number,e g 23. You put the paper into the black box and out pops your paper with a random number 1-23 written on it.

The tricky part for the feature you want is isolating the parameters and communicating them to the RNG. INNO would have to write a UI that would allow you to select a source of data, for example GBG and the range you are looking for top 10 or players with more then 20 advances or such.

But to make this work for more then just GBG they have to identify as many possible 'contests' as possible.

There;s a lot of potential contests out there.

Nothing is technically difficult about such, but the UI would take some time, identifying the potential contests a lot more time.

And as a side note, lots of player don;t trust the INNO RNG.

I can;t see INN putting in a lot of time and effort on this. Ithink the feature would be cool, but INNO doesn;t want cool, they want folk playing their game.

----------

Random advice make of it what you will.

I've run incentive contests for years, I'm running a weekly contest now that can award up to 500 FP if folks meet or exceed Guild Requirements.

This particular contest a Guildie has to have Aided me to qualify. So I pull up Event History and see how many Aids I received from the Guild, flip to google and type in 'random number 1- whatever that number was'. flip back to Event History and have the name of the winner.

Same generally should work for GBG except you'll want 3 numbers for the three places.

Since I am sole provider of prizes, I don't care about transparency. I wonder how I would react if someone said I was 'cheating'? Laugh at them for being moronically stupid?

i do use this as my disclaimer:

I’m sole arbiter, judge, sponsor and distributor of prizes. yada yada, I reserve the right to give away more prizes. Prizes will be granted through this thread to the GB or GBs of the winners’ choices.

Any questions?

Doc Gonzo...

Thanks for the insight Algona. When searching for this topic I did see that people are skeptical of Innos randomness. I’ve seen it myself but chalked it up to bad luck...

Looks like your incentives are working, y’all are kicking our butt in M world this week in gbg. We’re a *very* distant 2nd.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Algona

Thanks, Different world. The KM Guild hasn't needed incentives for years..

I wasn't clear about the RNG.

I think the INNO RNG works fine, but lots of players will blame it. I wouldn't want a contest, something to engender good spirits and raise morale and such to be from INNO necasue it will give folk a reason to gripe.