• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Submitted Rearrange Land Expansions in Reconstruction Mode

Phlox The Flowery

Would really like the ability to move around the land expansions when reconstructing the city layout. Maybe your expansions were good on your previous layout but on your new layout you want them in a slightly different configuration? Maybe have it as a separate selection option when picking up single or all items.

Ironrooster

I like the idea. When the map was expanded recently, It would have been really useful to rearrange the expansions. I had a plan for the edge expansions that has been disrupted with the expanded map. Eventually, I'll get it done, but it would be faster and easier if I could move expansions.

Johnny B. Goode

Absolutely not! This is a game where you deal with your choices...or start a new city to do things differently. The ability to move expansions would be a fundamental change to the game that would negate much of the city building strategy aspect. No different from the ability to rotate buildings, which is definitely not something the developers will consider as it has always been on the Do Not Suggest List.

Pericles the Lion

I like the idea. When the map was expanded recently, It would have been really useful to rearrange the expansions. I had a plan for the edge expansions that has been disrupted with the expanded map. Eventually, I'll get it done, but it would be faster and easier if I could move expansions.
you could restrict yourself simply by refusing to use the new feature rather than restricting others. As someone else mentioned, the map change that occurred is a pretty good reason itself for enabling this.
If memory serves me, when the grid was expanded earlier this year additional space for expansions was added to the existing grid (which remained unchanged). Any plans that a player had for expanding with the original grid can still be implemented.

The Lady Redneck

To me this would make the game easier. And take away much of the challenge. It is becoming a brainless wonder as it is. As things that at one time would have gone straight to the DNSL list are now part of the game. But then it does encourage those who do just want to pay cash and click a button. And we know that the only thing that matters now is just that. I voted no, but I still think that this will be passed eventually.

Last edited:

RazorbackPirate

you could restrict yourself simply by refusing to use the new feature rather than restricting others.
No one is restricting others, we're all restricted now. Voting no means to keep the restriction in place. It is a vote to keep things as is. No one is hurt by keeping things as is.

Worst case, this is a temporary issue. As you get more expansions, fill in the blanks and fix the problem. Like the grid expansion. You want expansions in some of the new areas? Age up and place them in the new areas.

Long term game, long term choices, long term solution.

Ironrooster

If memory serves me, when the grid was expanded earlier this year additional space for expansions was added to the existing grid (which remained unchanged). Any plans that a player had for expanding with the original grid can still be implemented.
Except they were added all around the existing grid not added on to the bottom right and left. So planning implemented for the upper right and left edges was disrupted because the original edge expansions were no longer the edge expansions.

Sure, over time more expansions can be added and everything redone to get back to the original plan. But it would be nice to rearrange the existing expansions to avoid that hassle.

The whole point of having a reconstruction capability is so you can re-arrange the whole city. That really should include the expansions as well. Rearranging without using reconstruction is possible, but it's not a challenge it's a hassle. The challenge is in planning your city.

Johnny B. Goode

Except they were added all around the existing grid not added on to the bottom right and left. So planning implemented for the upper right and left edges was disrupted because the original edge expansions were no longer the edge expansions.
This makes no sense. The only way changing the existing grid could disrupt planning would be if they took away part of the grid, not added to it. Any configuration you had planned before the grid expansion can still be accomplished. If anything, you have more options than before, not less.
Sure, over time more expansions can be added and everything redone to get back to the original plan. But it would be nice to rearrange the existing expansions to avoid that hassle.
Again, no sense. An expanded grid in no way prevents any previous plan from being implemented.
The whole point of having a reconstruction capability is so you can re-arrange the whole city. That really should include the expansions as well. Rearranging without using reconstruction is possible, but it's not a challenge it's a hassle. The challenge is in planning your city.
And you can still rearrange the whole city. You just can't return previously developed land to wilderness, which is what is basically being asked for with this idea. Oh, and many of us rearranged our cities for years without Reconstruction Mode without too much trouble. Not that your comment here makes any sense, because whether or not this idea is ever implemented, no one is proposing doing away with Reconstruction Mode.

Sharmon the Impaler

The programmers in here will realize that this would not be trivial to implement. A class would need to be added for the new possible states for expansions and this will touch many aspects on the game. This includes holding the status after you exit reconstruction but don’t complete it. Expansions = 0 , Expansions = not zero and Expansions is less than 0 (new status that expansions still exist to place to bring it back to Expansions = 0). This will be a lot of work.

Graviton

Kinda off topic, but how much work it would take to implement something ain't our problem. From our perspective as players, a good idea is a good idea and a bad idea is a bad idea and that's all I think we should be concerned with. How easy or difficult it is to implement is entirely Inno's problem. If it's too resource-intensive they can reject it. I voted 'no' but not because of the impact it might have on Inno's workload.

Johnny B. Goode

Kinda off topic, but how much work it would take to implement something ain't our problem. From our perspective as players, a good idea is a good idea and a bad idea is a bad idea and that's all I think we should be concerned with. How easy or difficult it is to implement is entirely Inno's problem. If it's too resource-intensive they can reject it. I voted 'no' but not because of the impact it might have on Inno's workload.
I disagree with this. Although it is ultimately up to Inno whether or not any change is worth the effort, it is certainly a consideration for players, too, when voting on a proposed change. Players should take all factors about an idea into consideration when deciding if it is worth supporting. And that includes both the relative difficulty of implementing it, as well as how it will affect game balance. And while we can't be as precise in our estimation of those two factors as the developers and programmers at Inno are, we can make educated guesses, and I for one appreciate when someone with more knowledge on the programming aspect weighs in, as @Sharmon the Impaler did.