• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Reconstruction Mode Feedback

• Thread starter DeletedUser4770
  • Start date
Well, this is going to be another "Thanks, but..." comment. I honestly don't see the PROBLEM with that since this is a FEEDBACK thread, which means the developers want FEEDBACK on what players like and/or dislike about this new feature.

Anyway.... First of all thanks for all the time that went into this. I was one who proposed a city reconstruction and planning mode, and while it isn't exactly what I envisioned, it gets the job done quite well. I read through this thread and saw a couple of great suggestions. I also have a couple of my own.

- While in this mode, I noticed that the move feature doesn't function like the regular building move mode. In regular construction, you can swap buildings around when they highlight as blue. This is a lot faster then putting everything into storage or finding an empty spot in order to just swap a few buildings around. If you could simply implement the exact same move mechanic in THIS mode, that would be great.

- As a corollary to that, and this might take more work than it's worth. If you could give the option when you click a building down in an occupied (red) area, where there are two or more items (road pieces for instance) that it would ask you "Do you want to move the current items in this location to storage?" that would make the whole process that much faster. It took me several minutes JUST to move all my roads to storage. If I could just take a GB and use it to "STAMP" over large sections of the city in order to place multiple items into storage, that would save a great deal of time.

- I saw a couple of suggestion for allowing you to sell and/or delete your buildings if you find you just aren't going to have enough space. That's a great addition, and i have an idea for a way to implement that. If you get your city as you want, but you still have one or two buildings left in storage when you click "Save" there could be a dialog that comes up asking you what you want to do with each remaining building, with the option to either Sell or Delete (or return to Reconstruction mode).

- I also liked the idea of being able to save an "interim" or "in progress" Reconstruction. As people have said, reorganizing a city takes a great deal of time. I just tried to work on my Goods Buildings area today, and couldn't get it finished in the 20-30 minutes I had before i had to leave this morning. So I had to just revert and redid it later. There needs to be a "Hold" feature that saves a partially Reconstructed city. You can have the game prompt you next time you come back (or if you try to edit your city in any fashion) that tells you you have a current city Reconstruction in process, and asked whether you want to continue or discard it.

- Lastly, in my proposal for this type of mode, I suggested a flat layout for rearranging as it makes it MUCH easier to see and plan your roadways. I saw even here a couple of people that mentioned they would LOVE that option. I understand if that's simply beyond the scope of the current game engine, but I just thought I'd throw it out there again.

Thanks again for a great new feature. I'm sure we will all enjoy seeing the beautifully laid out cities of our friends. With a few more tweaks, you can make the process just a bit less "painful". Go FOE development team!

Last edited:

DeletedUser3882

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!
So much fun!! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!

We are moving things around all over the place without developing any real skills or utilizing any strategery at all!!!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

DeletedUser3882

seagal-death-stare.gif

This is how I rearrange my city. True Story

And still do...

RazorbackPirate

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!
So much fun!! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!

We are moving things around all over the place without developing any real skills or utilizing any strategery at all!!!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!
Lot's of posts on the guild threads about getting deep into a re-construct, then running out of room with more buildings to place. Lot's of folks just reverting back for now.

This won't replace FoE City Planner for me, but it will speed things up when it's time to go live with a new design. I wish I needed one right now. It's fun to play with, though.

DeletedUser

It took me several minutes JUST to move all my roads to storage. If I could just take a GB and use it to "STAMP" over large sections of the city in order to place multiple items into storage, that would save a great deal of time.
You can click and drag on PC to store multiple buildings/roads.

So far I have not made any changes yet but am liking this feature I think that it will be a great help especially when going into a new age with buildings that take more space than the previous age and when like me right now I need to redo things to make my city more streamlined than it is.

I just posted here a little bit ago but it is not here WTF!!!! I have been playing with this new feature for awhile since I got home and I am liking it my city needs a major overhaul and I think that this is just what I need to do it.

DeletedUser32906

I absolutely am loving this! Was able to not only add three more Estates but also place my oldest roads where visible to drive my nephew crazy

DeletedUser29318

I don't have the reconstruction mode in my city. The video mention to click on the crane in build mode ....I don't have a crane in any of my cities and completed the mathematics. Does anyone else have this problem

RazorbackPirate

I don't have the reconstruction mode in my city. The video mention to click on the crane in build mode ....I don't have a crane in any of my cities and completed the mathematics. Does anyone else have this problem
It should appear after a reload/refresh

nicholas.aw

I'm pissed off! Sorry for the rise in temper. You see, I spent more than 2 hours reconstructing my city and when I click on 'SAVE', the PC (or rather Google Chrome froze). When I restarted - nothing changed, it was my old city. So, I tried reconstructing all over again (for the second time!) Spent 3 hours and again when I click on 'SAVE', it was deja vu. Chrome froze and now I'm still stuck with my old city. Don't really mind though but what pissed me off was wasting more than 5 hours for nothing!

Unless, I get real help from the Manager or whoever, I shall give up the idea of reconstructing!

DeletedUser36240

It seems like a good concept. I haven't saved any changes I made in it, but I did use it to reposition some items to see how much space I would free up and if it was worth it. I learned early in my trials that you don't want to put everything away at once, but instead do portions at a time. This makes it a little easier to go through your items and get like buildings closer (i.e. two-lane road buildings). That being said, it would take me a lot of downtime to actually put the function to a permanent use.

DeletedUser31440

Where are you on the tech tree, it unlocks on one of the last Iron Age techs.

DeletedUser

I've already rearranged 3 of my 4 cities with this feature and it works very well. Of course, as has been mentioned, having the 'move' function work like normal would be nice. And it would also be nice to be able to sell buildings/roads during the process, but I understand why that would be problematic.

DeletedUser36240

I've already rearranged 3 of my 4 cities with this feature and it works very well. Of course, as has been mentioned, having the 'move' function work like normal would be nice. And it would also be nice to be able to sell buildings/roads during the process, but I understand why that would be problematic.
I wouldn't mind having an option to buy too. It would help to put the roads you might not have enough for in place while building.

RazorbackPirate

I'm pissed off! Sorry for the rise in temper. You see, I spent more than 2 hours reconstructing my city and when I click on 'SAVE', the PC (or rather Google Chrome froze). When I restarted - nothing changed, it was my old city. So, I tried reconstructing all over again (for the second time!) Spent 3 hours and again when I click on 'SAVE', it was deja vu. Chrome froze and now I'm still stuck with my old city. Don't really mind though but what pissed me off was wasting more than 5 hours for nothing!

Unless, I get real help from the Manager or whoever, I shall give up the idea of reconstructing!
Sounds like a connectivity problem. Sounds like you're losing connection to the server when your city is idle for a few hours as you're in Reconstruct Mode. Do you find yourself having to refresh your browser when FoE has been sitting idle in Chrome for a while? I do at times. I've collected buildings before, refreshed my browser and have had to collect all over again.