• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Reconstruction Mode Feedback

• Thread starter DeletedUser4770
  • Start date

DeletedUser26481

A UI suggestion: close the interface if the CANCEL button at the top is clicked. Currently it is inactive and it's not clear how to go back to the game with no changes. In the world of standard UI design CANCEL is usually used for that function, not REVERT. Thanks and good job.

DeletedUser35139

Don't know if this has been offered on the other comments because...TL:DR

Suggestion...when you enter construction mode, the buildings 'flatten'. They are just appropriate sized, slightly opaque, single color squares, obviously with the name of what it is. This would great assist in placing objects exactly where you want them, *especially* roads.

And without reading, I know this has been suggested, so I'll also ask for the 'sell everything in queue' option, with a list of what I am about to sell, and what I'm getting for it.

But honestly, for the other readers, if you are ahead of the curve, you are only re-organizing on tech or size improvements. Sell a couple of things first to make room, just like you did before you had this tool. Then this tool works pretty well.

Graviton

I'm pissed off! Sorry for the rise in temper. You see, I spent more than 2 hours reconstructing my city and when I click on 'SAVE', the PC (or rather Google Chrome froze). When I restarted - nothing changed, it was my old city. So, I tried reconstructing all over again (for the second time!) Spent 3 hours and again when I click on 'SAVE', it was deja vu. Chrome froze and now I'm still stuck with my old city. Don't really mind though but what pissed me off was wasting more than 5 hours for nothing!

Unless, I get real help from the Manager or whoever, I shall give up the idea of reconstructing!

Don't try to do the entire city at once. Do a section at a time. Just like any other work done on a computer, frequently saving it is the key.

nicholas.aw

Sounds like a connectivity problem. Sounds like you're losing connection to the server when your city is idle for a few hours as you're in Reconstruct Mode. Do you find yourself having to refresh your browser when FoE has been sitting idle in Chrome for a while? I do at times. I've collected buildings before, refreshed my browser and have had to collect all over again.

Thanks for the advice. At times, I've just gotta learn the hard way. My fault for being too eagerly ambitious. I reconstructed the whole city twice and failed. Spend about 5 hours in all - really unproductive time. The moral of the story: Do a little bit at a time / Little drops of water make a mighty ocean.

My new city is up and about. Still not completely happy with it. I think it still need a little tweaking here and there. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

DeletedUser27889

I got to use this in beta and was eagerly anticipating this here. Here I have a much, much larger and more convoluted city with multiple sets.

Unfortunately it didn't go well for me, I spent greater than 2 hours using it but at the end I appeared to have more left over roads then I could place in the empty section I was able to make with this. This shouldn't happen so I most likely had a square open somewhere but after another 45 minutes of trying to find it I gave up and reverted. This is a great feature however some pretty basic changes would make it much more useable:

1) Ability to delete things without leaving reconstruction mode.
2) Ability to save as a draft without applying to city so one doesn't need 3 or so hours at once where they can't play the game, check messages etc.
3) a 2D view so you can find missing squares as the see through building function does not work well and you can't put a temp city into planner to find them.
4)Ability to tell if something will/wont have a road connection or set connection before saving.

And if possible a way to access inventory while using this though that would only be a less needed perk.

Overall I think the delete ability is the most needed. Not only would my own problem have not happened if I could just delete the extra roads in reconstruction but even when everything goes well you still need to make a to be deleted pile somewhere. In beta I've had to move single roads so I could put 2x1 decos where the roads where so I could delete the decos, put back the roads and *fix* what I had to do in this mode in order to get it to save.

As is though it's still much better than the nothing we had in game before it.

DeletedUser27889

^ As an addendum to my last post if this happens to you take a screen shot of your city then exit reconstruction, delete some roads or things you now know you be be deleting anyway and use the screen shot to put it how you want it.

I took the screen grab but didn't go about trying to redo it until today. It doesn't go as quick as using the 2D planner as a reference but it doesn't take much longer and you can still get the city you designed. It's a work around to not having a delete or draft save option.

DeletedUser8428

In the current iteration, at all times, you have a single city - that one that is visible to others. While you are in reconstruction mode, your visible city is still viable, is still aid-able, your production continues, etc. There's no need for Inno to provide anything but cache for the items you are working on in recon mode. So you want to be able to save a draft version of your city ... now Inno has to provide space and mechanisms to store a second version with different visible buildings, different storage, different options. And, once they do that, how long before the whiny hordes start complaining that they want to be able to save multiple draft versions because they don't know which is better? And how long does Inno have to save the extra versions? Indefinitely?

I would not expect that to get far ..

DeletedUser35509

I like it! It is exactly as is was propagated. Already saved bunch of space with just me getting a clearer look at what space I have once I could actually SEE what space I had, lol. Maybe y’all could plan on adding a feature where when you entered Recondtuction Mode FoE would automatically give you different “blueprints” for your city which you could chose from. Different generated layouts which the computer thought would give you the most space. Of course I would give the player the option if they wanted to use that blueprint or do it manually like it is right. I don’t know much time it would take for y’all to get this down, but I think it’s a good idea.

DeletedUser8428

I like it! It is exactly as is was propagated. Already saved bunch of space with just me getting a clearer look at what space I have once I could actually SEE what space I had, lol. Maybe y’all could plan on adding a feature where when you entered Recondtuction Mode FoE would automatically give you different “blueprints” for your city which you could chose from. Different generated layouts which the computer thought would give you the most space. Of course I would give the player the option if they wanted to use that blueprint or do it manually like it is right. I don’t know much time it would take for y’all to get this down, but I think it’s a good idea.

Uh. No. If you want the game to do all the thinking for you, there are plenty of other online games that you can choose from.

Last edited by a moderator:

RazorbackPirate

No. This is an Easy button and I cannot support this idea. FoE is a strategy game. Good city design skills is one of those strategies. You may need a computer algorithm to help you be a more competitive player, but I don't want the computer playing your game for you so you can become a competent player.

Learn to play the game, continue to suck at it, or quit.

DeletedUser35509

No. This is an Easy button and I cannot support this idea. FoE is a strategy game. Good city design skills is one of those strategies. You may need a computer algorithm to help you be a more competitive player, but I don't want the computer playing your game for you so you can become a competent player.

Learn to play the game, continue to suck at it, or quit.
Thank you for your opinion... I do not really understand you lashback at me (or others whom you think “suck”) for this comment, but to be honest, but I’m glad you shared this opionion, which is the main use of this forum(not that I care much for your opionion, but do not condone you for it). You may consider yourself experienced at this game, which I am not going to debate, but this idea I proposed is more for people whom are playing as a game, people whom are inexperienced and might need that help from a algorithm. I work for a a department in a company where it is my job to help people find easier ways of doing things, not to judge those people for being able or not being able to be “competent”. This is a way for people to clear space in their city, not to feel “competent”. I understand why you would feel this way, but you must also think for others not just yourself. Again, thank you for our opinions; share those opinions. Just don’t judge people by telling them they are conpetent, incompetent, or suck st it. This forum should be to help people grow. Many thanks for your opionion.

DeletedUser35509

Uh. No. If you want the game to do all the thinking for you, there are plenty of other online games that you can choose from.
Like in a response I sent to another whom shared your opinion. Some people might need that help, not saying that I do.

DeletedUser8428

Like in a response I sent to another whom shared your opinion. Some people might need that help, not saying that I do.
Gabe, the issue is that inexperienced players keep asking for "features" to make the game more automatic and it's not uncommon for them to reference other games and say they want this game to be as easy as those.

There are quite a few players here who've spent a fair amount of time learning how play FOE. Its depressing to watch this game get "easier" so that newer players don't actually have to learn how to play, they can log in, click a few buttons and the game will play itself.

I work in healthcare software systems, and one of our jobs is to help people learn how to efficiently use the systems we have to their best advantage, which is not the same as easier.

DeletedUser35509

I
Gabe, the issue is that inexperienced players keep asking for "features" to make the game more automatic and it's not uncommon for them to reference other games and say they want this game to be as easy as those.

There are quite a few players here who've spent a fair amount of time learning how play FOE. Its depressing to watch this game get "easier" so that newer players don't actually have to learn how to play, they can log in, click a few buttons and the game will play itself.

I work in healthcare software systems, and one of our jobs is to help people learn how to efficiently use the systems we have to their best advantage, which is not the same as easier.
I completely understand. I just find it hard to receive such negative feedback on one of my first posts. I myself had had learn things mostly by myself and this forum, I see, can be such a help for people.

DeletedUser8428

I

I completely understand. I just find it hard to receive such negative feedback on one of my first posts. I myself had had learn things mostly by myself and this forum, I see, can be such a help for people.
This can be a tough forum. So -

- ask questions
- develop a thick skin
- friend people on your world that are way ahead of you. Some of the best tips and assistance I ever got was from players in the top 10 who accepted my friend invitations and then answered my questions when I messaged them.
- remember that MOST suggestions were thought of long before you. If you do a search without results, ask the group if it's ever been suggested before.

DeletedUser3882

TL/DR (again :) )

I just find it hard to receive such negative feedback on one of my first posts. I myself had had learn things mostly by myself and this forum, I see, can be such a help for people.

I’m bored so here’s a not so quick translation for @RazorbackPirate ’s comment.

I think the biggest (well, a couple) shocker to your idea is that it’s just not feasible in that it really only makes sense for the Stone Age tutorial. You’ve been through that and should know that there’s not much to it. Being that the mode is locked behind tech at the end of Iron Age (cannot access it until then) there are WAAAAAAY too many variables available in the game even at that “early” point. What kind of “template” (can’t refer to it as blueprints as that is already taken ingame) would even be offered that makes even the simplest of sense?!? There are various strategies players employ, even at the earliest of ages, and any template you can come up with may mean any given/most player(s) may not have the requisite population, coin or supply in stock, tech researched for a given building, etc... Regardless of playstyle, tech for multiple expansions have been unlocked at this point, and as RM doesn’t remotely touch those, players have the choice to expand in a variety of ways. The only template offered could only be based on the default city layout, no expansions included, no diamond buildings, nor special event/GE rewarded buildings as we’re adding even more variables to the mix. Even the first expansion placed deems all this null. I could go on for a “default/base line” city template, but that’s enough to start and worthy of a separate discussion/proposal/debate thread. It won’t get far.

2)If you’re implying some algorithm to take into account your “current” city layout, with all of the above and then some, and calculate a template, or choice of templates from what you have available, then I believe this would come pretty close to a bot/script that is strictly forbidden from the game. See game rules on the login page. No different than a custom program to automatically AID all of your friends/neighbors in one click. It would certainly gray the lines and one can’t reaonably expect them to ban all scripts when they’ve now provided one themselves. This wouldn’t get very far in discussion either.

This is only the tip of the iceberg of issues that would be brought up by more experienced players here and in the game if it went any further. It does not need to. The magnitude in programming this and processing power it would require for hundreds of thousands of players worldwide potentially accessing it and trying to use it could/would have irreparable affects on many other aspects of the game. We have lag issues *now* in GvG that need to be addressed.

I suggest trying out the FoE citybuilder (not officially supported so I won’t post a link but google is your friend) to use as a sandbox. Save a screenshot of what you can dream up and try to replicate in game.

The forums are helpful, yes. The forums are also rife with mundane comments/requests/proposals et al that the poster doesn’t realize how absurd it is once taking a step back and taking a second look.

Continue to grow, learn and expand your game. There are many aspects that you haven’t accessed yet and have yet to experience.

Try to construct your city *without* reconstruction mode. Try to plan ahead so you don’t even need it. Come back when you’ve hit Two lane roads, every house you unlock is a different size and/or orientation, invariably hit a brick wall, and give us an update.

@RazorbackPirate would love to hear it!

RazorbackPirate

Thank you for your opinion... I do not really understand you lash back at me (or others whom you think “suck”) for this comment, but to be honest, but I’m glad you shared this opinion, which is the main use of this forum (not that I care much for your opinion, but do not condone you for it). You may consider yourself experienced at this game, which I am not going to debate, but this idea I proposed is more for people whom are playing as a game, people whom are inexperienced and might need that help from a algorithm. I work for a a department in a company where it is my job to help people find easier ways of doing things, not to judge those people for being able or not being able to be “competent”. This is a way for people to clear space in their city, not to feel “competent”. I understand why you would feel this way, but you must also think for others not just yourself. Again, thank you for our opinions; share those opinions. Just don’t judge people by telling them they are competent, incompetent, or suck st it. This forum should be to help people grow. Many thanks for your opinion.
It's hardly a lash back.

While easy buttons are great in the real world and in your department it makes sense, you're asking for the game, to play your game. Noob, experienced, whatever. to me this is like asking for a robot to put together your puzzle for you, because putting together puzzles is hard. Maybe I just sit back and let the computer play Tetris for me so I can kick back and watch it get a perfect score for me. Perhaps I just hit a button and let the game fight all my battles for me so I can finally win in GvG. (Oh, wait, we have that.)

My experience level has nothing to do with my opinion, and I understand it's for the inexperienced player who needs help clearing space in their city. What I'm saying, is good city design is part of the strategy of the game. It is a learned skill. Those who posses it have a competitive advantage over those who don't. Learn the skill, play the game.

At what point of automation does it stop being a game and becomes watching a simulation, essentially paint by numbers? No.
TL/DR (again :) )

I suggest trying out the FoEManager, City-Planner (not officially supported so I won’t post a link but google is your friend) to use as a sandbox. Save a screenshot of what you can dream up and try to replicate in game.

Continue to grow, learn and expand your game. There are many aspects that you haven’t accessed yet and have yet to experience.

Try to construct your city *without* reconstruction mode. Try to plan ahead so you don’t even need it. Come back when you’ve hit Two lane roads, every house you unlock is a different size and/or orientation, invariably hit a brick wall, and give us an update.

@RazorbackPirate would love to hear it!
Do this. Yes, indeed. ;)

Last edited:

DeletedUser

You may consider yourself experienced at this game, which I am not going to debate, but this idea I proposed is more for people whom are playing as a game, people whom are inexperienced and might need that help from a algorithm.
If they are inexperienced, then they are at the lower eras where rearranging your city is fairly easy. Having to do it themselves, rather than let an 'algorithm' do it for them, will teach them the skills they will need when it gets harder later on. Giving them the 'easy button' of having the game figure it out for them at the lower levels will do nothing to improve their game. In fact, it will make them dependent on the game to do their thinking for them, and they will never become 'experienced'. We have enough people already who race through the ages without learning much about the game, this would only make that worse.