• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Recurring Requests broken. Possibly sometimes throttlling to force you to watch video ads

I use RQ (recurring quests) a lot, or i used to. Inno appears to sometimes throttles the quests so new ones won't load unless you close the quests window. If you watch the video ad quests start loading properly again for awhile. Then the idea ad quest cones back and if you ignore it the RQ starts throttling again. I speculate this is controlled on the server side. Some time ago inno added a delay/throttling into the RQ loading to defeat scripting abuse. My guess is inno hooked the ads into the RQ loading to punish you by not giving quests unless you watch the video ads.

But the video ads are broken, some don't give you credit for watching them, while others like the state of survival zombie game if you leave it up to get the bonus there's no discernable way to get out of the ad. I have to task swap out and kill the foe app manually to reload to bet past the ad. The ads are pointless I tried clearing all of them one time and I got the woodoku ad 6 times in a row. I'm do irritated by that ad I refuse to install woodoku. Maybe it's not so bad if you play from a browser so they can't do interactive ads and try to get you to install an app. I'm usually on Android. I filed bugs and let inno know my extreme displeasure. I'm probably going to quit playing and destroy my world. I'm going to wait a couple point releases to see if they tone down the video ads. I think this is here to stay inno has jumped the shark on foe and is trying to squeeze the last bit of blood out of it.

King Fink

mobile ads have always been broken, so it’s the fault of the advertiser that they hide the “x” not the host app. I have noticed this bug as well on iOS app, and it pops the requiring quests back up if I close the quests tab and then open it back up.

Dr Mac 100

The ads will make this game unappealing and will end INNOs greedy hold on it. They are broken and disrupt the game. The next problem is unless your phone is connected to a wf-fi, they are burning your data plan up!

mobile ads have always been broken, so it’s the fault of the advertiser that they hide the “x” not the host app. I have noticed this bug as well on iOS app, and it pops the requiring quests back up if I close the quests tab and then open it back up.
Good to know its broken on iOS too. Supports my suspicion Inno probably did the crippleware RQ feature for video ads on their servers.

...We are sorry to see you are having problems playing Forge of Empires. We are aware of the issue and it has been forwarded to our development team. ...
Support responded that they are aware that it works this way. Let's see if they fix it or not. I think its something they did on purpose.

RazorbackPirate

I've played on PC for years. It is not unusual for the RQs to hang for a bit sometimes even requiring a refresh of the game. It's always been this way long before the ads.

But sure, let's go with cripple ware, something they did no purpose 'cause screw you! Inno don't owe you squat. Paying customer or not, don't like it, pound sand!

Your argument sounds a bit dumb when I put it that way doesn't it? Stop with the nonsense. The game hangs on RQs sometimes. Always has. Get over yourself.

On another note, spoiler alert, Ghislaine didn't either.

I
I've played on PC for years. It is not unusual for the RQs to hang for a bit sometimes even requiring a refresh of the game. It's always been this way long before the ads.

But sure, let's go with cripple ware, something they did no purpose 'cause screw you! Inno don't owe you squat. Paying customer or not, don't like it, pound sand!

Your argument sounds a bit dumb when I put it that way doesn't it? Stop with the nonsense. The game hangs on RQs sometimes. Always has. Get over yourself.

On another note, spoiler alert, Ghislaine didn't either.
I've been playing for 2 or 3 years and it never has been this bad. It got suddenly worse when the video ads showed up in the RQ. Inno doesn't owe me anything and I don't have to be here either. I never buy anything in game so getting rid of me is probably desirable.

RazorbackPirate

I've been playing for 2 or 3 years and it never has been this bad. It got suddenly worse when the video ads showed up in the RQ. Inno doesn't owe me anything and I don't have to be here either. I never buy anything in game so getting rid of me is probably desirable.
Way to miss the point.

While the lag that has always been there may have gotten worse due to the ads, it is a very different scenario than Inno has deliberately slowed down RQs because of your made up reasons.

Unlike Jeffrey, not everything is a plot out to get you.

Way to miss the point.

While the lag that has always been there may have gotten worse due to the ads, it is a very different scenario than Inno has deliberately slowed down RQs because of your made up reasons.

Unlike Jeffrey, not everything is a plot out to get you.
Are you the head troll? Lol. It was more than a lag quests sometimes didn't load at all when the video ad quest was visible. Changelog for next update version 1.234 says they're changing something relating to quests.
The Quest window would stop working and not open again on occasion. We've implemented a fix and we would like to verify how it applied. Please report in the feedback thread, if you still encounter this issue!

I guess it might be possible that the throttling of quests was a coincidental bug and not deliberately throttled to induce clicking of the video ad quest.
Regardless I'll be satisfied if RQ quest loading goes back to the way they were before the video ads were introduced. But if RQ is not fixed foe goes into the dustbin and gets uninstalled, not that anyone here cares.

Uodate: Others in my guild report update to 1.234 on browsers is giving them the crappy RQ experience similar to what I've been complaining about in android version 1.233.12. But there is no 1.234.x available to me from play store im on latest version made available by inno in USA. So sounds like inno chqagelog is wrong 1.234 doesn't roll out fixes it made RQ broken on browsers too.

Darkest.Knight

Surprising, no complaints here. I usually don't watch the ads and it doesn't cause any problems; occasionally I need to close and reopen the recurring quests window but BFD.

If u have a complaint submit a ticket to make Inno aware, they'll fix it in an update.

We are indeed aware of the issue, and would ask if you encounter it to please submit a ticket. Note this is not related to the Ads.
Yes tickets filed several days ago against android version 1.233.12. Strange thing for me the issue on Android only occurs when the Video Ad Quest is in the quests window. If I clear the video ad quest the bad behavior goes away. So there appears to be an interaction between the video ads and the quest behavior on android. Too bad 1.234 was rolled out anyway with the known quest feature regressions. The other thread says quest bugginess was known to be broken on the beta server, prior to production rollout of 1.234.

Last edited:

Willy do it

Uodate: Others in my guild report update to 1.234 on browsers is giving them the crappy RQ experience similar to what I've been complaining about in android version 1.233.12. But there is no 1.234.x available to me from play store im on latest version made available by inno in USA. So sounds like inno chqagelog is wrong 1.234 doesn't roll out fixes it made RQ broken on browsers too.
This bug manifested on beta a couple of weeks ago. Appeared on live server with the update. It isn't fixed on beta, so don't expect a quick fix here.
My work around has been to close the quest box and click up to 7 times to reopen it [usually 5 times].
If I wait 3 seconds between each abort, it usually doesn't break.
Still, so annoying that I don't do as many recurring quests.

Pericles the Lion

This bug manifested on beta a couple of weeks ago. Appeared on live server with the update. It isn't fixed on beta, so don't expect a quick fix here.
My work around has been to close the quest box and click up to 7 times to reopen it [usually 5 times].
I've learned that you don't need to wait 3 seconds between aborts. Keep an eye on the slider at the right of the Quest screen. When you complete, or abort, a quest the slider moves down to the bottom then moves up slightly about a second later. If you wait for the slider to move back up before aborting the carousel works properly. It's slower than usual but at least it doesn't go blank.

DevaCat

We are indeed aware of the issue, and would ask if you encounter it to please submit a ticket. Note this is not related to the Ads.
Not related to the ads? Lololol. Sorry. It clears up for a time when I break down and watch the ad. Please tell your overlords to fix this.

RazorbackPirate

I've learned that you don't need to wait 3 seconds between aborts. Keep an eye on the slider at the right of the Quest screen. When you complete, or abort, a quest the slider moves down to the bottom then moves up slightly about a second later. If you wait for the slider to move back up before aborting the carousel works properly. It's slower than usual but at least it doesn't go blank.
This is a great tip. Thanks!

Good to know thanks. So no fixes in 1.235 probably. And if inno keeps its approximate 2 week release train cadence a vehicle with a fix can't show up until August at the earliest. Ugh. I wonder how bad things need to be for inno to have a ship stopper and not push out seemingly severe regression bugs.

Aethelcatt VIII

The "solution" I figured out, purely by accident, is to wait for the next quest to settle still completely in the window (i.e., finish the "bouncing back upon hitting the wall" animation) before clicking on the "abort" button. Probably a 1/4-second or 1/3-second wait, but definitely not three seconds.

Since I started doing this, the RQ window has not frozen up on me at all--I'm glad to report.

CDmark

I have always noticed that slider move up, good catch on connecting it to the problem. I ran some quests last night, took my time, no issue. then I went fast, and poof, the issue, it disappeared.