• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

remember the first arc?

Dursland

Remember how the first arc came to Zorskog via a blueprints contest? It was like probably 2-3 weeks in the world before they would have popped up normally.

You'd think that wouldn't be a big deal but man I remember this one guy made such a THING about it. He was posting ingame, posting in chat, filing tickets. He went NUTS, said it ruined the world lol. And that's why we can no longer win blueprints above our era.

A few years later, looking back, that was such a minor ripple in the world and made almost no difference in today's standings. The people who were first to get arc aren't at the top of GB rankings after all.

Wish I could talk to that guy again and get his hindsight but unfortunately I don't remember his name, and he's probably long quit by now.

Ebeondi Asi

And that's why we can no longer win blueprints above our era.
Reads like a myth. I have never heard any such history. I would want corroberation for some (at the time) source before I even come close to believing it to be true. Otherwise interesting comment.

Dursland

Reads like a myth. I have never heard any such history. I would want corroberation for some (at the time) source before I even come close to believing it to be true. Otherwise interesting comment.
It's now an official rule among the forum moderators to not award blueprints above the players' era when they win them in contests.

Source: I used to be a forum moderator and was on staff when said arc incident occured.

Emberguard

I have never heard any such history.
As a (former) EN Moderator, we used to give Blue Prints from any Era regardless of player Era, prior to changing what kinds of contests were on offer. Prior to becoming a Moderator I had also won Blue Prints and received advanced era blue prints. Which is why I was surprised US didn't do that when I came across a US contest as at the time I hadn't heard of that restriction.

xivarmy

As a (former) EN Moderator, we used to give Blue Prints from any Era regardless of player Era, prior to changing what kinds of contests were on offer. Prior to becoming a Moderator I had also won Blue Prints and received advanced era blue prints. Which is why I was surprised US didn't do that when I came across a US contest as at the time I hadn't heard of that restriction.
When we didn't have people running ahead to FE on day 1 anyways, it kinda did spoil a new world for a contest-arc to be the first. Back when Birka had opened it appeared there wasn't going to be a stupidity-rush at the start as the top player was hanging at LMA. Then on the 4th day while he was still in LMA, which was still the top age at the time, he dropped an arc. I quit the world pretty much immediately.

The next day apparently it got taken away as "moderator error". But having already made the mental decision to nope out of it, I didn't feel like going back.

Of course these days, there seems to be the FE-rush crew on every US world. So the fresh arc-less world experience doesn't happen anyways :p

There's now 29 worlds with arcs, a lone world without arcs should at least have the experience of having to wait til someone hits an age for the buildings from it to pop up.

Dursland

I understand Birka but in Zorskog the arc was planted when top player was in FE. He just hadn't built his yet. Which makes that guy's tirade really ridiculous. My 2-3 weeks estimate before arc would've popped up is probably overly generous.

You make a very valid point though, it does spoil things if there's no player rushing to the top.

xivarmy

I understand Birka but in Zorskog the arc was planted when top player was in FE. He just hadn't built his yet. Which makes that guy's tirade really ridiculous. My 2-3 weeks estimate before arc would've popped up is probably overly generous.

You make a very valid point though, it does spoil things if there's no player rushing to the top.
Indeed if there was a FE player already, I would've just assumed the planter got it off a lucky aid. It would be expected within days not weeks of the first FE player anyways.