• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Remembering Notre Dame

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamboking053

The Notre Dame is a substantial loss?

I live in NYC. While the Trade-towers was a shocking event, the only thing anyone really cared about was the people that died and even then it was only a short-term thing before people moved on. Felt like the news was trying to make this so much more than it was... Not like it was the Library of Alexandria. ;)

DeletedUser

The Notre Dame is a substantial loss?

I live in NYC. While the Trade-towers was a shocking event, the only thing anyone really cared about was the people that died and even then it was only a short-term thing before people moved on. Felt like the news was trying to make this so much more than it was... Not like it was the Library of Alexandria. ;)
The World Trade Towers were nothing but tall office buildings with no architectural or historical significance before 9/11. The Notre Dame Cathedral has immense significance both architecturally and historically. If there had been no casualties on 9/11, no one outside of New York would have cared about those towers. Anyone with any sense of the world around them cares about the damage to Notre Dame.

Graviton

The World Trade Towers were nothing but tall office buildings with no architectural or historical significance before 9/11.

They weren't targeted because they had no significance outside of NYC.

The Notre Dame Cathedral has immense significance both architecturally and historically. If there had been no casualties on 9/11, no one outside of New York would have cared about those towers. Anyone with any sense of the world around them cares about the damage to Notre Dame.

Okay but I think we can all relax about it. We don't need to turn FoE into a junior Facebook where everybody either tries to out-care or out-outrage each other. If we want to discuss it, fine, but enough with the flood of proposals to "honor" it somehow. It's a historic building, part of it burned up, that's tragic, let's all get along with our lives now.

DeletedUser

They weren't targeted because they had no significance outside of NYC.

Okay but I think we can all relax about it. We don't need to turn FoE into a junior Facebook where everybody either tries to out-care or out-outrage each other. If we want to discuss it, fine, but enough with the flood of proposals to "honor" it somehow. It's a historic building, part of it burned up, that's tragic, let's all get along with our lives now.
The "flood" of proposals bothers me much less than attempts to minimize the significance of what happened. Frankly, it makes me sick.

DeletedUser38090

The World Trade Towers were nothing but tall office buildings with no architectural or historical significance before 9/11.
Ah yes, the World Trade Center does not symbolize at all America's prosperity and dominance in the world economy, nor was it the tallest skyscraper in NYC for its time.

Graviton

The "flood" of proposals bothers me much less than attempts to minimize the significance of what happened. Frankly, it makes me sick.

I think there's a difference between minimizing and maintaining some proportion. In fact I'm not sure how much this can be "minimized", seeing as how nobody was harmed and it sounds like much of the artwork that was in danger was saved; it's just the structure that's been somewhat damaged. Granted, an historic structure, but still just a structure, and it's still standing. I see no reason to go around proclaiming undying support and making sure everybody who shares an online game with me knows how much I care about it. But maybe I'm funny like that.

DeletedUser

I see no reason to go around proclaiming undying support and making sure everybody knows how much I care about it
Then don't. And if any of these suggestions gets anywhere, feel free to ignore it. I don't support any of these proposals, but it's not because I'm so cynical as to say that what happened is no big deal.

Graviton

Then don't. And if any of these suggestions gets anywhere, feel free to ignore it. I don't support any of these proposals, but it's not because I'm so cynical as to say that what happened is no big deal.

Again, you're arguing against a position I never took, so I'll bow out and let you go ahead with that.

DeletedUser27392

So I know inno has made a image of it burning down

Said image should be sold is a skin for diamonds. When purchased it should add a extra worthwhile power such is fp to the gb

Earnings from first month of sales of this skin could be donated

Agent327

So I know inno has made a image of it burning down

Said image should be sold is a skin for diamonds. When purchased it should add a extra worthwhile power such is fp to the gb

Earnings from first month of sales of this skin could be donated

You can also donate yourself, but why should you? Much better if you can profit from it, right?

DeletedUser27392

Not saying I would even buy it. Just saying graphics are already created. It's way for inno to donate to a good cause and players to rennet the event in their city while also giving a gb if little value value again and making inno money is sales would continue past 1 month. Heck inno could give a portion of sales or keep it all lol it's just an idea

DeletedUser38090

, but if you keep some nails and a piece of wood connected to the death of someone that never existed you do???? :rolleyes:
I know you can be a bit mean at times, but come on. Don't spout some ahistorical flapdoodle like the Christ myth theory.

Emberguard

I know. He is as real as Santa and God greated the earth.
There is plenty of historical proof that Christ existed and was crucified outside the bible.

Whether or not you believe the bibles account of what Christ was like and who he was is another thing altogether. But all the top historians both secular and religious agree that he existed as a real person

DeletedUser38090

I know. He is as real as Santa and God greated the earth.
If the Roman historians who despised the Christians at the time knew that Jesus didn't exist, then they would have taken the opportunity to bash the Christians about believing in some non-existent person. But all of the accounts from the Roman historians didn't bash the Christians for that reason, which is one line of evidence that shows that Jesus existed.

plinker2

ok, this is starting to get off topic. Keep on the ND part of it or it will have to be closed. Thanks to all.

Agent327

ok, this is starting to get off topic. Keep on the ND part of it or it will have to be closed. Thanks to all.

This is part of the ND. It's what it is based on.

There is plenty of historical proof that Christ existed and was crucified outside the bible.

Whether or not you believe the bibles account of what Christ was like and who he was is another thing altogether. But all the top historians both secular and religious agree that he existed as a real person

I know. He was this great magician that could perform some amazing trics, just like David Copperfield. His father was even better, cause he created the earth in 7 days. Actually 6, cause the work was that much exhausting that he had to take a nap on the 7th day.

Some other interesting facts. If women could be trusted we would all still be living in Paradise and your crush on me is unhealthy, cause in the end we all descend from the same two people, so we are all family.

If the Roman historians who despised the Christians at the time knew that Jesus didn't exist, then they would have taken the opportunity to bash the Christians about believing in some non-existent person. But all of the accounts from the Roman historians didn't bash the Christians for that reason, which is one line of evidence that shows that Jesus existed.

Smart thinking. Telling them he didn't exist would sure have hit the nail. That works on every religious believe!

mamboking053

More like they symbolized greed and excess. And very few people care about which building is taller. Mostly just people playing trivia.

Greed and excess? And what, exactly, paid for the building of Notre Dame? And who ran it? A bunch of lying, thieving, corrupt pedophile priests?

I'm glad something makes you sick, but it shouldn't be the destruction of a Church that led people, for years, into folly for it's own ends. Just because it looks nice doesn't mean it's a good thing.

mamboking053

Not really. They believe it's a strong possibility and their beliefs have been wrong plenty of times. We're living in a time when the beliefs of "all the top historians- both secular and religious" are either being corrected or removed from consideration in light of new evidence.

There's more evidence that their consensus is heavily influenced by political and social customs and pressures than there is definitive evidence of the existence of Christ. (I think he existed also, but not as the son of man Christ. More like the Jordan Peterson everyone follows around because they think he's super enlightened, but he just talks a lot about opinions and beliefs that have existed long before he ever breathed)

Status
Not open for further replies.