• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Replacement Refs

DeletedUser34

Not really sure if this is a debate or even a discussion, but it is a thought....

I despise NFL football, but if I were to ever back a team, it would be Green Bay. Considering the call made at the end of the game last night, it makes you wonder if replacement refs are of any value. But is this an issue that needs to be taken up by the states.

New Jersey senator is trying to introduce a bill that will ban the use of replacement refs in his state. Is this going a bit overboard with the whole "regulate everything" even things that are none of their business?

DeletedUser3

At face value it seems totally inappropriate, NFL football is a private enterprise. Now if he can present evidence that replacement refs are utilities for corruption in gambling activities, he has a valid agenda.

DeletedUser34

Following the stories on the net, it seems that they were fired from various leagues, one of which was the lingerie football league, whatever the heck that is....(but regardless), other than being completely incompetent, I haven't found a single issue of improper behavior. The Senator in question is citing inability to call a safe game. Placing players at risk, and I think mostly he is wizzy about the fact that they made a mockery of the game with the call.

Part of the reason I refuse to watch NFL is the greed. Should the states be allowed to strong arm a private company like this. You and I both know that if they outlaw replacement refs, the NFL will be stuck in a ball tie, and have no bargaining power in the negotiations. And who will pay for that???

They are using a construction site as a comparison....*shakes head*

DeletedUser3

Do you have an article on this, or perhaps the name of the New Jersey senator?

DeletedUser34

I could, but since the forum hates me, and requires I hand key everything, I am not inclined to do that :D

I am however able to give you the name. Stephen Sweeney....D-state senate New Jersey