• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Research tech tree feedback

DeletedUser32973

Quitting because of a relatively small change to the tech tree eh? If you're quitting over something this small you'd be leaving soon anyway. I've experienced it a bit in beta, and I don't have an issue with it. If I'm thinking of what's more aesthetically pleasing to me, I'd like the color scheme and iconography of the old tree, but with the new collapsible ages. Other than that, it's not a big deal.

MissNomer

The Research Tree looks really bad it is all yellow and hurts to look at.
It's an embarrassment having it on my screen.
Ya'll really should have given players an opportunity to review this rather than just dump it on us. That is what Beta testing is for. After 60 years in the electronic industry programming we have never seen something like this.
we agree with CrabbyOldMan "this is awful on the eyes and very confusing. please bring back the old"
There are enough players here that concur This is Awful!!
Please go back to the way it was!! Or move me off the Beta Server, I did not ask for this!!

DeletedUser18799

a total fail but obviously we are stuck with it, why would inno listen to us. notice they bypassed beta on this one

DeletedUser

a total fail but obviously we are stuck with it, why would inno listen to us. notice they bypassed beta on this one
They did not bypass Beta. They wanted a larger set of data than they could get strictly from Beta, so they did a partial roll out on the live servers. This is not the first time they've done this.

Jern2017

I don't care about the new theme, it's nothing that will impact my gameplay.

However, I was thrilled to see this:

"In parallel to this change, our development team is also working on the Forge Points spending feature for the Tech Tree."

DeletedUser38100

I'm on mobile in Virutal Age (almost done).

Pros:
1) I like the collapsing ages (and it's cool that if you collapse all the ages, it's one "continuous" picture.
2) Uncollapsed age, showing what's next, what's done, and what's unavailable seems ok.
3) Tech pop-up: showing the icons of what you're getting (and the avatar you're getting) at the bottom is good.
4) Highlights section on collapsed tech areas is nice.

Cons:
1) UGLY. On mobile, the old panel fit in with everything else. This is really ugly. I use dark mode on my phone/tablet and the background is too bright, the colors (uncollapsed) are hard to read. I agree with previous comments on cartoonish, and in general looks amaturish.
2) Completed technologies (in technology pop-up) no longer give what goods were used in completion. I'm currently managing Promethium and Orichalcum (sp) and forgot to look before completing a technology. So, to tell if I've used up P/O in that tech, I had to go out to a wiki.
3) Arrows on main page are much less clear than previous. Now, from the main page, it's very hard to tell what technologies rely on what from the arrows. You actually have to bring up the technology panel to see what it needs. This makes it difficult to search the path you need to traverse to get something that may be far out on the tree (example in VA, the production building in Efficient DNA Analysis is really good, so you may want to prioritize getting to that technology, and thus want to follow the path to it. Much harder with this new system).
4) Technology pop-up is too big. Many times you want to see what's in pop-up, but also see the previous panel (mainly to see connections (beyond the technology popped-up). Very little room to scroll the previous screen and you end up bringing up and closing the Tech pop-up.
5) Tech pop-up: previous tech requirements was obvious before. Now, it just blends in with other text. At least bold it or something.
6). Tech pop-up: unlock costs are harder to read. Yes, the green colors (though the green numbers on beige background is hard to read) show that you have enough and also showing how much you have, but I miss the "progress bar" from the previous version and in general find the new resources not easy to read.
7) Collapsing an age then reopening it places you at start of age (instead of the technology (or it's general area) that you're working on).
8) Technologies are smaller (most names have ... at end), yet there are no more per screen.

Thurfyr

I like the improved functionality, being able to collapse the trees and scroll through them quickly is nice.

I'm not a fan of the new look though but maybe I need time for it to grow on me. Something about the bright, flat background doesn't quite fit when all the other menus have a darker, wood grain feel to them. Makes it seem more out of place.

DeletedUser32059

PLEASE... Give me my old tech tree back! Why fix the looks that weren't broken? Making the other one collapse would have been fine. But this one is...(comparatively) hideous.
Grrrr... Grumble, grumble, grumble.

DeletedUser14197

I actually like it do far since you can collapse it. I think it's easier to find something one skipped researching if one needed it for a quest. I play on my phone. Don't know what it's like on a laptop.

DeletedUser41361

I'm 60 and having trouble with the smaller Research boxes, font and icons. Why did you shrink everything just to make more space in between steps? I liked it with a larger, easier to read type size.

DeletedUser28146

Nice improvement on the multi-age view, hideous design on the single age view. How does something this ugly and eye-hurting get approved for publishing? So ugly that someone might seek legal recourse for emotional and physical damages due to optical pain/impairment. :D

RazorbackPirate

The only thing I dislike about the change is the faded techs in completed ages. It's not uncommon for me to go back to previous ages to help newer players, having everything so faded out makes it very hard to read for no good reason.

With the BIG green check mark over completed techs, is it really necessary to fade it out to the point of almost unreadable?

Ldy Gatr

I do not like the new format at all. it’s actually quite annoying. Ruins the experience. The coloring is horrible, the text is too small, the icons for what the tech tree is providing are hard to see… Please go back to the way it was before. It was very pleasing and easy to work with before.

I really am not a fan of the new tech tree graphics - they look cheap and cartoonish. I would like to see it changed back. It makes me not want to play anymore. I agree with previous posts - it looks horrible! The rest of the game's graphics are so detailed and beautiful. It cheapens the experience.