• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Rotating buildings

DeletedUser32702

FoE posted a new video on their youtube channel called F of E rotating buildings Ad.
does this mean that we are getting the ability to rotate buildings when they are build?

DeletedUser28147

I'm pretty sure you misinterpreted the title of the video. It has already been stated several times that rotational buildings are not going to be a thing. Probably ever.

DeletedUser

I am checking with my superiors on this.

I will say that the two buildings they show rotating end up sitting in the same position they would be if you built them in the game now. So maybe it means rotating different buildings in the same spot rather than rotating the aspect of one building.

Last edited by a moderator:

barra370804

I am currently on a roadtrip, so I was watching youtube, and in my subscription feed, I saw this and was like, "excuse me?" There is going to be some major lashback here.

Also, why was there no announcement?

Algona

If i could figure out the bazillion problems inherent in such, I'd love to see a betting pool for silly things like:

How long before somebody complains that they can't rotate buildings when INNO advertises they can?

DeletedUser29623

Why would they make a video that not only shows rotating buildings but is actually *titled* “rotating buildings” if they have no intention of ever allowing rotating buildings? I’d say they were trolling, but that’s unlikely. FoE has introduced some features recently that were once categorically ruled out (an edit mode, a way to sell/trade in unwanted inventory items), so it certainly seems possible that they might change this.

DeletedUser37581

Why would they make a video that not only shows rotating buildings but is actually *titled* “rotating buildings” if they have no intention of ever allowing rotating buildings? I’d say they were trolling, but that’s unlikely. FoE has introduced some features recently that were once categorically ruled out (an edit mode, a way to sell/trade in unwanted inventory items), so it certainly seems possible that they might change this.
Inno's marketing department tends to title their videos based on a prominent feature of the video. That doesn't mean that the feature is intended to be a part of the game. People often complain that the developers don't play the game and therefore don't understand the finer strategies. Well, the marketing department is in a whole 'nother world in that regard.

Here, look at this video (called Tower Ad).
Notice how they show the tower being unlocked in the continental map - and then later on show that tower as a building in the player's city. Did that become a thing? Nope.

How about the "Magic Hammer" ad. Is that part of the game? Nope.

So, no, it isn't at all likely that FoE will have rotating buildings anytime in the next 20 years.

I hear this a lot in this game and others and it seems like it would be a complicated process from a programming standpoint but people don't need a rotating building. No one actually wants to see the back side of the building. They just want buildings to change direction. This could be easily accomplished by having 2 versions of each rectangular building, One that goes from upper left to lower right and one that goes from upper right to lower left mirroring the image and a switch button with maybe a nominal fee like 10 diamonds or such each time you change direction. A simple pop-up like you have with the armies buildings could contain the button.

Agent327

I hear this a lot in this game and others and it seems like it would be a complicated process from a programming standpoint but people don't need a rotating building. No one actually wants to see the back side of the building. They just want buildings to change direction. This could be easily accomplished by having 2 versions of each rectangular building, One that goes from upper left to lower right and one that goes from upper right to lower left mirroring the image and a switch button with maybe a nominal fee like 10 diamonds or such each time you change direction. A simple pop-up like you have with the armies buildings could contain the button.

You just necrod a thread with something that will never happen.

Why?

ExtraMile

This is one of the many challenges of the game. It makes city planning/design like a puzzle. Inno wants it this way, and it’s not going to change, no matter how many people complain about it.

Be happy we have reconstruction mode to help us with this aspect of the game.

Triopoly Champion

Can confirm. I think the rotation is simply a cool animation for placing a Building, rather than the ability to rotate the Building to your liking.
Rotating the buildings shouldn't be too hard for Inno developers to implement, just simply do the mirror-image editions for all the graphics and animations.

I can use "Windows Paint" and flip all the .png files.

Nicholas002

Rotating the buildings shouldn't be too hard for Inno developers to implement, just simply do the mirror-image editions for all the graphics and animations.

I can use "Windows Paint" and flip all the .png files.
yeah, except then the shadows are the wrong way

Triopoly Champion

yeah, except then the shadows are the wrong way
The shadows of all the buildings never really match all. Check the screenshot below, The sun shines from the right for my Arc, but shines from the bottom for my SBC. Also take a look at my AO and Cape, which way is the sun shining from?
Forge of Empires - Colonial Fantasy 07-18-2020.jpg

Graviton

Rotating buildings AFAIK has never been considered and likely never will be, as space management is part of the game strategy. Playing Tetris is not the point of FoE. Utilizing the space you have to fit the buildings you have, is.