• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Running out of space

Bosshoof

In my newest city, I have been hanging out in EMA, trying to get a little stronger before advancing up the tech tree. My problem is that I am out of space and am not willing to spend $ to buy expansions. Also, CdM plans are really hard to come by. I do donate fps to a guildmate on CdM. Guidance would be appreciated.

Kranyar the Mysterious

Solve your problems by moving forward.
Or, instead:

Get all your medal expansions by leveling your Arc up to 80+.

Earn diamonds by playing to the end of GE level 4 every week and use those diamonds to purchase expansions. No money needed.

Move ahead further on the Campaign map to earn more expansions. Just be careful not to lose recurring quests by doing proper research, if that matters to you.

Join a good guild and take 5th position on people's great buildings to get all the prints you need. Blueprints for the vast majority of buildings are actually easy to acquire. Swaps are iffy, look for buildings you can lock your position on for 5-10 fp or less.

Wwwoodchuck

In my newest city, I have been hanging out in EMA, trying to get a little stronger before advancing up the tech tree. My problem is that I am out of space and am not willing to spend $ to buy expansions.
I am a newer player in my first city. One mentor told me if you are getting cramped, it is time to age up and get more room. You are stunting your growth by not having enough space. If you have good FP or attack buildings sitting in inventory, they are doing you absolutely no good.

The only reason not to age up, is to get more room to put in more houses. If you need more houses, you do not have a lack of room, you have a lack of organization in your city. Take a long, hard, critical look at your city and find out why you would need that many houses, something is wrong.

I had been sitting in EMA, cramped, trying to grow some GB. I just did an EMA => LMA jump at the start of this GbG season. What a difference those expansions made! The battling is not all that much tougher. The opponents get stronger, but you do also. I had goods and FP saved up so research to open LMA troops was done on the first day. I can’t believe I did not age up sooner. I will not be making that mistake again.

Plain Red Justice

One mentor told me if you are getting cramped, it is time to age up and get more room. You are stunting your growth by not having enough space. If you have good FP or attack buildings sitting in inventory, they are doing you absolutely no good..
No. If you are getting cramped you need to ask yourself the question on why every single one of your buildings is necessary to be inside your city. Not just necessary for the sake of being in there, but a compelling reason on why it's important for your city to function.

You're still a new player and most probably F2P'ing so there is absolutely no reason for you to run out of space in EMA since AD, where some of the best items are, is a grind and coins are not easy to accumulate when you're new. From what I can guess you're probably placing city bloat like SSWs and Shrines or even worse, loads of unnecessary houses and supply buildings that's why you're running out of space

Wobblist

Saw you on reddit earlier.. thought that was pretty funny haha. Id say small world but the sub is small itself and you're kind to be offering your help where it may be needed.

And in response to OP, yeah you don't really run out of space as quickly as you think, but it depends how you play. If you're casual, aging up naturally will be the simple way, but there's a couple dozen medal expansions that you can use. You probably have a lot of residential buildings too, and soon enough you shouldn't need any of those if you play the events properly. I had 34 clapboard houses in EMA before the start of the event, now I'm down to 5 and I can essentially get rid of all of them if I discarded my military buildings too, but my Alcatraz is still low as well as my unattached units reserve.

There's 2 main paths people take it seems: efficient or casual. Which one are you?
-efficiency will have no need for cultural or decorations, because your happiness is through your traz and event buildings. It will essentially have no need for any of the build option buildings because you have everything you need through great/special/event buildings. If you plan to take this approach, don't age up for the sake of space. Consolidate over time, take your time designing and planning.

Casually playing, those medal expansions will be hard to come by, but doable. But I feel like you wouldn't be here looking for help if you were so just take the above advice as well as others.

DeletedUser

Solve your problems by moving forward.
Well, you are consistent. not very helpful or informative. A good example of why having 'information' is not at all the same as having 'knowledge'.

On topic:
Kranyar offers solid advice. If you choose to advance on the Campaign map, do some research on how to do so effectively. For example, you can get higher age troops but only if advance carefully on the tech tree, ding only the minimal needed to advance the story line. E.g. it's possible to get 2 musketeers in EMA, by pushing story quests out to the end of LMA. That makes GE a lot easier, earning more diamonds, medals, etc.

Martyrition's point about efficiency is very good: really need to decide if every tile is being used optimally. Lots of great advice on the forums on how to create more efficient cities.

This is a game that rewards patience and taking the time to learn from experienced players. A good guild offers support and guidance; does your guild offer advice and support? If not, consider changing to a guild that offers mentoring.

Emberguard

. One mentor told me if you are getting cramped, it is time to age up and get more room. You are stunting your growth by not having enough space. If you have good FP or attack buildings sitting in inventory, they are doing you absolutely no good.
No. If you are getting cramped you need to ask yourself the question on why every single one of your buildings is necessary to be inside your city. Not just necessary for the sake of being in there, but a compelling reason on why it's important for your city to function.
This is only true to a certain extent. Earlier ages have easier requirements for events, fighting, gathering goods etc. But you are stunting your FP growth for city collection if you have FP buildings in inventory you can’t place which then effects how quickly you can raise a Arc and other GBs. It‘s a fine line between being more beneficial to camp and becoming a false economy that stunts the city

Red’s right you should evaluate what’s in your city and whether it’s benefitting your city by keeping it in. Especially if your city isn’t developed enough to comfortably age up. But there’s only so far that can go before aging up would be better

Last edited:

Wwwoodchuck

You're still a new player and most probably F2P'ing so there is absolutely no reason for you to run out of space in EMA since AD, where some of the best items are, is a grind and coins are not easy to accumulate when you're new. From what I can guess you're probably placing city bloat like SSWs and Shrines or even worse, loads of unnecessary houses and supply buildings that's why you're running out of space
I should have specified “newer player” as saying since Forge Bowl 2020. My apologies.

I had no SoK, houses, decorations, supply/goods buildings or any fluff. It was filled with main/secondary Event buildings and a few select GB. I did not just build Gb because I had prints, I was warned against that. I have 5 Level 2 TF and several event building selection kits I have no room for. Even with all the medal expansions down it was cramped. I believe people can camp too long and accumulate more ‘good’ buildings that they do not have room for. When is it time to dump a level 2 Celtic Forest set to put something else down? For me, it is still a good enough building to keep in my city. I just needed more room to put more ‘stuff’ in.

I jumped to LMA and have been pretty happy. I feel I stayed low age way too long and could have grown a lot more had I aged up in a timely manner.

Just An Observer

Well, you are consistent. not very helpful or informative. A good example of why having 'information' is not at all the same as having 'knowledge'.

On topic:
Kranyar offers solid advice. If you choose to advance on the Campaign map, do some research on how to do so effectively. For example, you can get higher age troops but only if advance carefully on the tech tree, ding only the minimal needed to advance the story line. E.g. it's possible to get 2 musketeers in EMA, by pushing story quests out to the end of LMA. That makes GE a lot easier, earning more diamonds, medals, etc.

Martyrition's point about efficiency is very good: really need to decide if every tile is being used optimally. Lots of great advice on the forums on how to create more efficient cities.

This is a game that rewards patience and taking the time to learn from experienced players. A good guild offers support and guidance; does your guild offer advice and support? If not, consider changing to a guild that offers mentoring.

I have read where a Colonial ranged unit was able to be brought up in LMA but have yet to see anything about this happening in EMA. Got a link for me to see the procedure if it exists?

Plain Red Justice

I should have specified “newer player” as saying since Forge Bowl 2020. My apologies.

I had no SoK, houses, decorations, supply/goods buildings or any fluff. It was filled with main/secondary Event buildings and a few select GB. I did not just build Gb because I had prints, I was warned against that. I have 5 Level 2 TF and several event building selection kits I have no room for. Even with all the medal expansions down it was cramped. I believe people can camp too long and accumulate more ‘good’ buildings that they do not have room for. When is it time to dump a level 2 Celtic Forest set to put something else down? For me, it is still a good enough building to keep in my city. I just needed more room to put more ‘stuff’ in.

I jumped to LMA and have been pretty happy. I feel I stayed low age way too long and could have grown a lot more had I aged up in a timely manner.
Naaah those Terrace farms are as good as decorations at best. You don't really grow using passive daily collections garb that people rely too much on

You either snipe every non-guildmate that breathes, or you're fortunate enough to be inside a guild that always wins GBG so you can do as many advances as you want even with mediocre stats or do proactive sales/deals with other players. That's how you grow

DeletedUser

I have read where a Colonial ranged unit was able to be brought up in LMA but have yet to see anything about this happening in EMA. Got a link for me to see the procedure if it exists?
try
https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/higher-age-units-guide-v1-01.37109/

Though that one says it can't be done form EMA. The one i saw on getting 2 musketeers in EMA was on Reddit. Foe Hints also has a couple of good videos on advanced era troops.
Another thread on this just started on the EN forum, https://forum.en.forgeofempires.com...s-of-higher-ages-via-map-of-continents.42831/

Last edited by a moderator:

Mustapha00

To he OP's point:

I am going to have to make some assumptions based on limited information.

Being that he or she mentioned specifically CdM, I am going to assume that he or she is planning to do some fighting, as CdM is one of the three basic aggressive player GBs. If that is indeed the case, the player should be focusing on planting structures that enhance their military capabilities, with a secondary focus- almost a co-primary focus, really- on FP producing structures.

Yes, 5 upgraded Terrace Farms take up a ton of real estate.....but how else is a new-ish player of that Age going to product 60fp/day from a comparable footprint? And that 60fp/day makes levelling up GBs, their own and other player's, that much easier and quicker. Putting 30fp or more per day on other player's CdM will being in blueprints at a fairly rapid pace, so that will solve one of the OP's complaints.

67Sage101

In my newest city, I have been hanging out in EMA, trying to get a little stronger before advancing up the tech tree. My problem is that I am out of space and am not willing to spend $ to buy expansions. Also, CdM plans are really hard to come by. I do donate fps to a guildmate on CdM. Guidance would be appreciated.
Have a guildmate let you donate to his ARC for lots of medals. Early on medals are a good way to get a few more expansions before they get too expensive. They go up by 1000 each time....you can get several thousand medals at a time from slots on an ARC.

Lancer

Eventually you will get to the point that you only want to keep what is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to function the way that you feel is best for your situation. e.i. For me I only have GBs, event buildings, and special buildings and building "sets" that are won through events or now the AD as well. I will only keep those event and special buildings that gives me the desired output. Which for me right now I'm focused on buildings that gives me happiness, FPs, attack/defense increases, and anything else is simply extra. I've removed everything else from my city. And I actually just went through and deleted about 12 to 15 SoKs. A few years ago they were essential to most players and were coveted. Now I feel that they only have that impact on newer players or newer cities. I still have like 12 or so SoKs, but I'm just about to remove them as well. I like to focus on upgrading all the special buildings to there highest levels and if it's a set of buildings that interact together, then I want to acquire all of them available and get the most out of them to get every possible reward for how ever many items they can give you depending on how you align them together. The only time that you will see a regular building of any kind in my city is say for instance I have a quest that calls for numerous productions to be made from production buildings and if that's the case and it doesn't have to be from your current age or age below, I will just build the blacksmiths to get that done then remove them afterwards. Unless, an event is in progress, then I may keep them until the end so I don't have to keep rebuilding them, since that is a quest that comes up often. Space is something that becomes so much more important as you go on, so if I was you I would definitely consider what you are looking for your city to eventually become and try to avoid building unnecessary or lesser buildings and trying to make them get you to that desired point, because it will take you so much longer to get there.

Last edited:

wontn23

Which sets are not worth putting down? I've looked at some of the sets and do not think they are worth the space.

Sheriff Of Rottingham

Which sets are not worth putting down? I've looked at some of the sets and do not think they are worth the space.
It depends on what your goals are. Do you want to maximize FP output? Do you want to maximize attack boost? Some other goal, or a combination? Regardless of your goal, if you are trying to decide which buildings/sets to put down, the math is the same. The space available is finite, so you take whatever stat you're trying to increase, and you figure out the amount provided per tile. Whichever building provides the largest amount gets put down. If you're out of space, you remove the lowest performer and replace it with a higher performer.