• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Settlement timing question

Cyrus the Adequate

Is it possible to complete the Viking settlement and get the gold bonus without spending diamonds? I've spent a lot of time on these, and while I can sometimes get bronze, silver is just barely out of reach and gold appears to be mathematically impossible (unless you happen to hit a bunch of goods multipliers).

Am I missing something?

Pericles the Lion

I did the 15 playthroughs of Vikings to get the Lvl9 Yggdrasil. Along the way I collected enough fragments of the Greater Runestone to get it to Lvl4. I recall getting the top reward only on the first 2 attempts. I spent no diamonds.

Cyrus the Adequate

I did the 15 playthroughs of Vikings to get the Lvl9 Yggdrasil. Along the way I collected enough fragments of the Greater Runestone to get it to Lvl4. I recall getting the top reward only on the first 2 attempts. I spent no diamonds.
Wow - that's cool, but not my experience at all! I'm at Lvl 7 Ygg and only have a dozen fragments - not even a whole GR.
:confused:
OK, so what's your strategy? I'm watching the total amounts of goods needed, doubling up buildings when necessary, etc., yet I just can't seem to make it work out. How many expansions are you using, and how do you decide when to expand?

Ebeondi Asi

I am working on Viking only to get yggdrasil. I have never tried to get any ofthe other rewards for time.IT is a long slow slog and I am almost done.
I never did bother to even try to go faster.

Johnny B. Goode

As I understand, the secret is to spend a lot of time at the beginning using short production cycles to build up your coins, then work on the goods. Unless I misunderstood the multiple posts I've seen over the past few years. I never thought the Greater Runestone was worth the extra effort.

Pericles the Lion

@Shattered Banana I was OCD the first couple of run throughs then got more laid back. A maxed out GR only provides 2% attack bonus and there are far easier ways to get 2% than going crazy trying to beat the clock (same same for the other settlements IMO). I am an active player which means I'm able to collect productions without much down time, that would make a difference. Also, if you haven't done so already, check out UBER's "Cultural Settlement Guide" in the Forum's guide library. I found it helpful.

Darkest.Knight

All of the settlements r the same, if u don't make enough "coin" u can't make goods fast enough to finish on time. I've done all of the settlements to the end, Japanese I did enough times to complete 12 Timeless Dojos, and I only didn't finish on time a couple of times. I almost never spent diamonds, only a couple of times but wasn't necessary. I found that expanding the settlement size was key to finishing on time. Obviously, I found the Timeless Dojo was useful since I didn't put up Alc until I finished story questline; the other extras were worth making for their market values. The market value of the fully lvl'd extras makes most other things look like junk. The lvl'd event buidlings r of similar market value.

It helps a lot to have a decent internal clock so u don't miss your collections, I suppose u could always set an alarm, lol.

Ironrooster

I have a level 5 Greater Runestone.

You have to babysit the settlement. Constantly collecting on completion. Blow away buildings to build up diplomacy whenever you have enough goods for the next quest. Do copper coin collecting every hour. Always squeeze in an extra shrine when possible, even if it's only for an hour.

Frankly, it's a pain in the butt and not worth it. After getting the level 5 GR, I haven't worried about it or any other bonus buildings. I get them or not.

Darkest.Knight

Time allotted to complete the first couple of runs thru ea. settlement is so large you'd have to completely ignore it not to finish within the time limit. Even after several runs thru and the shortest time allotted you don't have to pay too much attention to finish within time limit for receiving secondary reward, u always get the primary award no matter slow u might be. Since I put up FI I always have a settlement going and I don't pay much attention to it, I still manage to finish 1 or 2 days after first timer goes off.

Johnny B. Goode

Time allotted to complete the first couple of runs thru ea. settlement is so large you'd have to completely ignore it not to finish within the time limit. Even after several runs thru and the shortest time allotted you don't have to pay too much attention to finish within time limit for receiving secondary reward, u always get the primary award no matter slow u might be. Since I put up FI I always have a settlement going and I don't pay much attention to it, I still manage to finish 1 or 2 days after first timer goes off.
It's amazing that your Settlements time experience is so much better than any other player who has ever posted about it. Even the ones who say they always get the secondary reward have never said that "you don't have to pay much attention to it". You must be so much a better player than anyone who has ever played. :rolleyes:

Note for everyone who isn't amazingly wonderful and the best player ever: You do have to pay attention to get the secondary prize. In fact, you have to babysit most of the Settlements to do so. And in the Japan one, you probably have to use main city goods to negotiate in the Market for Settlement goods in order to finish within the shortest time limit.

Pericles the Lion

It's amazing that your Settlements time experience is so much better than any other player who has ever posted about it. Even the ones who say they always get the secondary reward have never said that "you don't have to pay much attention to it". You must be so much a better player than anyone who has ever played. :rolleyes:

Note for everyone who isn't amazingly wonderful and the best player ever: You do have to pay attention to get the secondary prize. In fact, you have to babysit most of the Settlements to do so. And in the Japan one, you probably have to use main city goods to negotiate in the Market for Settlement goods in order to finish within the shortest time limit.
Did you miss the part where @Darkest.Knight said that he had 12 L5 Timeless Dojos? His main city is on S where I have a farm town. He, indeed, has 12 TDs which is, by the way, 12 more than you have in your main city on S. All things considered I think I'll listen to what he has to say on this subject. Clearly, he knows what he is talking about having run thru the Japan Settlement enough times to get 12 TDs.

Last edited:

Kranyar the Mysterious

Viking settlement is painful and tough to finish in time for the gold chest unless you 24/7, and the reward isn't worth the effort. Japan settlement on the other hand is extremely simple to get the fragments via the gold chest, but again once your city is advanced the TD is also worthless. So someone saying they have 12 TD doesn't mean squat when it comes to the Viking settlement... which is what this thread was about.

Darkest.Knight

I approached each settlement similarly and didn't find too much difference between them, that includes Viking Settlement. I made multiple runestones, used them for a while, then sold them in the market. I still make the extras to sell in the market, I happen to like Mughal best so I've been making and selling Minarets.

dwaynedibley

Personally, I have had no problems getting the time bonus on the Viking settlement once I got the hang of it. By the time I got the Yggdrasil maxed out, I also had enough pieces to get 2 fully levelled runestones. I saw some youtube videos somewhere with strategies for doing this. I think my advantage, as I work remotely from my home office, I am able to set the coin collection buildings to 1 hour during most of the day, which is much more efficient. If you arent able to do that, im sure its much harder to do in time.

Cyrus the Adequate

A related question: How do you truly abandon a settlement to get a new starting map?
I just finished a Viking round, and the new bare map has a big rock right in the worst possible place - no way I'm going to try to build around it. I hit the "abandon" button, but it's not blocking me out for the cool-down period and it's still showing me the exact same (unusable) map.

Any ideas?

Flynn013

I could be wrong here but I read somewhere that abandoning a settlement will not change the impediment layout the next time you want to do that settlement.

Sharmon the Impaler

A related question: How do you truly abandon a settlement to get a new starting map?
I just finished a Viking round, and the new bare map has a big rock right in the worst possible place - no way I'm going to try to build around it. I hit the "abandon" button, but it's not blocking me out for the cool-down period and it's still showing me the exact same (unusable) map.

Any ideas?
If you don't see a cool down period then you aborted the abandon