• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Settlements (REMOVED)

DeletedUser36624

Some offerings you can add:
1. Diplomacy is only important at specific points, namely for purposes of a quest, and for buying embassy advancements (the diplomacy requirements for them are listed on the track at the bottom - easy to miss). Otherwise, diplomacy is not required at all, and runestones can be spammed to ramp up your diplomacy when required.
2. The questline is irrelevant except for the final quest. It produces no rewards that are useful to your settlement, and the only reason you have to do them is to get to the final quest. For someone starting out, it does create a kind of a roadmap to where you should go if you're not sure, but otherwise just complete the quests when your natural advancement checks them off.
3. Shacks (and probably other residences, but I can't verify yet) don't need roads to provide population, only to make coins. Once you get diplomatic buildings like shrines, they will make most of your coins, so you can save some space by cramming residences in without roads.
4. When you need to buy an embassy advancement and need diplomacy, nuke your roads, and spam runestones (1 min buildtime), buy the thing, and then nuke the runestones and put your roads back in. Shrines (and probably other diplomacy buildings) don't need roads to provide the diplomacy, only to make coins.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agent327

I am writing this with the assumption that you have read and understood the announcement. Also, I'm assuming you know how to place, sell, and move buildings, and how to buy expansions.

And still you feel the need to tell them you can get to the sttlement by clicking on the boat???

That's not in the announcement????

Basically, after the previous steps, it becomes impossible for me to tell you what to do. The amount of specific Cultural Goods needed and the placement of impediments differs, causing all settlements to be different.

So basically this is a guide telling us that we can build a city and after that it is up to us.

I think this will be a big hit.

UBERhelp1

So basically this is a guide telling us that we can build a city and after that it is up to us.
I think this will be a big hit.
No, I provide a guide for the beginning but after that there is too much randomness in the goods required for unlocking buildings and the placement of impediments. IDK if you know this, but for each run through the good requirement changes and so does the incident placement. No one has essentially the same. This makes me unable to guide them other than some basic pointers.

Some offerings you can add:
1. Diplomacy is only important at specific points, namely for purposes of a quest, and for buying embassy advancements (the diplomacy requirements for them are listed on the track at the bottom - easy to miss). Otherwise, diplomacy is not required at all, and runestones can be spammed to ramp up your diplomacy when required.
2. The questline is irrelevant except for the final quest. It produces no rewards that are useful to your settlement, and the only reason you have to do them is to get to the final quest. For someone starting out, it does create a kind of a roadmap to where you should go if you're not sure, but otherwise just complete the quests when your natural advancement checks them off.
3. Shacks (and probably other residences, but I can't verify yet) don't need roads to provide population, only to make coins. Once you get diplomatic buildings like shrines, they will make most of your coins, so you can save some space by cramming residences in without roads.
4. When you need to buy an embassy advancement and need diplomacy, nuke your roads, and spam runestones (1 min buildtime), buy the thing, and then nuke the runestones and put your roads back in. Shrines (and probably other diplomacy buildings) don't need roads to provide the diplomacy, only to make coins.
I just fill empty space with runestones. That provides all the diplomacy needed for the first few building unlocks. The questline is needed to finish the settlement. Also, I did provide a picture of the shacks being crammed in a corner :). And this is by no means a finished guide. I hope to add more visual aids and more in-depth information as time goes by. It will also be continually updated as new settlements/features come out.

Last edited:

Agent327

No, I provide a guide for the beginning but after that there is too much randomness in the goods required for unlocking buildings and the placement of incidents. IDK if you know this, but for each run through the good requirement changes and so does the incident placement. No one has essentially the same. This makes me unable to guide them other than some basic pointers.

Incidents you just click on and you get a reward. How can they be a problem?

DeletedUser33179

I truly appreciate your time/effort trying to help others make sense of cultural settlements.

Unfortunately, your attempt at making an informative Guide to the Vikings is rather premature. There's some aspects of Day1-3 you are not fully seeing as yet. And you currently lack any insight into what strategies are involved for the remaining 80% of its play (yes, there are important ones that everyone can follow irregardless of the variables that you currently find perplexing). Which is why you're unable to give any real specifics in guidance beyond accomplishing the first 5 quests.

Consider completing your 1st full run-through, then revisit your guide. I think you'll discover you have many more specifics to offer at that time.

RazorbackPirate

I truly appreciate your time/effort trying to help others make sense of cultural settlements.

Unfortunately, your attempt at making an informative Guide to the Vikings is rather premature. There's some aspects of Day1-3 you are not fully seeing as yet. And you currently lack any insight into what strategies are involved for the remaining 80% of its play (yes, there are important ones that everyone can follow irregardless of the variables that you currently find perplexing). Which is why you're unable to give any real specifics in guidance beyond accomplishing the first 5 quests.

Consider completing your 1st full run-through, then revisit your guide. I think you'll discover you have many more specifics to offer at that time.
I have to agree here. Instead of labeling it a guide at this stage, you might be better off labeling it a strategies or Tips and Tricks discussion thread. Once we've all gained more experience, have tried a few different things, and sussed out some actual best practices, then there's use for a guide to distill it down.

Agent327

I'm not going to get in a fight with you, even though that's what you want. If you have any other comments specifically about the guide feel free to post them. I'm going to be reporting the last few messages (including this one) to be removed as off topic.

It isn't a guide. It's like Clara says. Premature and lacking insight.

UBERhelp1

2 things:
  1. As time goes on it will be updated in more detail, especially at the later stages of the guide, and considering that most players are still at the beginning that is fine. Also, I did add some more to the guide in certain parts.
  2. You sound like you know quite a bit, if you want to post some tips feel free. I can put them into the guide.
I also hope to add a chart showing costs for expansions, but I don't have the time today.

Last edited:

DeletedUser36624

Correction: Finishing by the first deadline gives 6 fragments, not 9.

UBERhelp1

Correction: Finishing by the first deadline gives 6 fragments, not 9.
It gives 6, the first prize, plus the 2 fragments from 2nd and the 1 fragment from 3rd. In total, 9 fragments. Basically, winning first gives you first + the ones after it. Same for second. You'd get 2 fragments plus the 3rd place prize of 1, for a total of 3 fragments.

Agent327

2 things:
  1. As time goes on it will be updated in more detail, especially at the later stages of the guide, and considering that most players are still at the beginning that is fine. Also, I did add some more to the guide in certain parts.
  2. You sound like you know quite a bit, if you want to post some tips feel free. I can put them into the guide.
I also hope to add a chart showing costs for expansions, but I don't have the time today.

A guide is supposed to be something that is finished, so all can profit from it. Not something under developement. I finished several settlements on the beta and am still finding my way. I would not dare to start a guide on this yet. You are going for glory where in fact you know absolutely nothing.

DeletedUser33179

2 things:

I'm sorry if what I'm about to say is taken as insulting in any way. I don't mean it to be. Nor do I wish to discourage your enthusiasm in helping others with Settlements.

What you're currently developing is in no way an effective or correct Guide on how to lead folks through the Vikings. @Agent327 is right - a Guide is meant to provide a full picture, requiring accurate details & full understanding/insight into the proper strategy (& any good variations) for the play in its entirety.

Not only are you doing this piecemeal, but a lot of your recommendations, assumptions, & strategic decisions appear to range from incomplete at best (for example - 1st two expansions + unlock shrines + still enough copper coins can be easily be achieved a few hours earlier than you did, without being constantly in game) to completely wrong at worst (for example - your suggested two main ways people gather the needed goods in the "race to the finish" is incorrect).

Tips, tricks, helpful suggestions, etc are great to share, compare & debate along the way. I agree with @Roxana 1184 the Wise tips. Please be very wary of providing your early assumptions or strategies (which is entirely different than tips) when you have limited insight into how it affects the play at that current or any later stage along the way.

While I'm certain about several aspects/strategic decisions, I don't know for sure yet how they could/should to be changed/modified along the way for best play. So, I'm chosing to wait until I have a good grasp on the entire Settlement before puuting it out there as "what to do"

It'd be helpful for players to know the source where you're getting the various Vikings details (quests, building requirements, etc) - the fan wiki, which as a wealth of info on Vikings & everything else FoE related (sort of a massive encyclopedia put together by players).
Here's the link to it's Vikings section:
http://forgeofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Vikings

edited- for clarity

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser33179

guide deleted.
please refer to the wiki for information.
eventually, i may repost it.

Play it through a couple times. Try things & keep good notes. Then revisit this project (I think you'll be surprised what you can discover). :)

spnnr

guide deleted.
please refer to the wiki for information.
eventually, i may repost it.

I really appreciate your attempt to help the community mate and I hope you don't take the criticism as an attack on your endeavor. many of the guides posted have been subjected to the same sort of scrutiny as yours have .
There was post somewhere about the forum and how it can improve and a large part of it is community activity and interaction.

Lets hope to see your new guide soon !

UBERhelp1

I really appreciate your attempt to help the community mate and I hope you don't take the criticism as an attack on your endeavor. many of the guides posted have been subjected to the same sort of scrutiny as yours have .
There was post somewhere about the forum and how it can improve and a large part of it is community activity and interaction.

Lets hope to see your new guide soon !
Don't worry, I'm still working on it. I took the guide down to have the ability to finish it fully before posting it this time. No deadline as of yet, but hopefully should have it out within a month or two.