• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Should I build Notre Dame?

spartacus2.0

I have more than enough goods to build it, I need supplies, and it does look pretty, but it takes so much space... should I build it?

Just An Observer

If you are maxed out on leveling up your LoA and have all the supply factories your city can hold, then going with ND could be seen as a last ditch option.

DevaCat

General consensus is: no! Basically, for what it delivers it gets outgrown too quickly to justify the investment (and forgone output of whatever could have taken its place). What age is the city? Have a LoA (what level)?

BruteForceAttack

I have more than enough goods to build it, I need supplies, and it does look pretty, but it takes so much space... should I build it?

One doesn't do any good.. So as long as you find out how to build couple of time...dont build it... Oh add colosseum to that list as well. Again two or more of each :) :p

ND is as useful as OoD (useless). Supplies are the most useless resource in this game, unless you are age rushing (don't age rush, it is not a good idea). Happiness is only somewhat useful and there are better GBs to build that give happiness. Also ND isn't very small. 24 tiles can be better used building other GBs or building event/special buildings. Space is the most valuable commodity in this game as it is the only finite and non-renewable resource.

Kranyar the Mysterious

If you are maxed out on leveling up your LoA and have all the supply factories your city can hold, then going with ND could be seen as a last ditch option.
LOL, this is a joke right? The first ditch option should be a Himeji Castle.

Notre Dame should be right after Space Needle, but before Coliseum or Gaia Statue. In other words, never.

Remember kids, Never let friends build a Notre Dame or Coliseum.

Kranyar the Mysterious

Supplies are the most useless resource in this game, unless you are age rushing (don't age rush, it is not a good idea).
Actually supplies are extremely valuable for doing Unbirthday quests until your Chateau becomes a perpetual motion machine, hence why building an HC is the proper move in any era you decide to camp in. HC and Chateau, two great buildings that go great together.

Just An Observer

LOL, this is a joke right? The first ditch option should be a Himeji Castle.

Notre Dame should be right after Space Needle, but before Coliseum or Gaia Statue. In other words, never.

Remember kids, Never let friends build a Notre Dame or Coliseum.

F2P players will find a use for ND if they cannot come up with what it takes to get Himeji. Do try to see things from different perspectives, mmkay?

DevaCat

F2P players will find a use for ND if they cannot come up with what it takes to get Himeji. Do try to see things from different perspectives, mmkay?
Go back and re-read post #3. That's a f2p perspective. There are more useful things to do with the space and resources that a ND would consume, and Himeji has nothing to do with that calculus. If someone wants to build ND anyway, fine. But I'd recommend against it.

Algona

ND is as useful as OoD (useless).

Disagreed. Oracle is a sweet GB for BA especially folks using Glarg's fast start technique. It is a much needed FP dump until a real GB is built and at lvl 4 provides a Gather 1500 Supplies RQ and pays the Supplies for 3 Unbirthday RQs all by itself.

F2P players will find a use for ND

No.

Please tell n00bs, "Do not build ND." Anything else is a disservice to them.

Just An Observer

Go back and re-read post #3. That's a f2p perspective. There are more useful things to do with the space and resources that a ND would consume, and Himeji has nothing to do with that calculus. If someone wants to build ND anyway, fine. But I'd recommend against it.
I re-read it and still stand by what I wrote. If a GB gets outgrown due to later developments, dump it! I sent ToB down the drain for that reason. Never did build Oracle so no need to get rid of it thankfully.

Nicholas002

on the contrary, F2P players certainly cannot afford to waste space and FPs in ND. diamond players maybe can, since they can buy their way out off inefficiency.
Do try to see things from different perspectives, mmkay?

Agent327

on the contrary, F2P players certainly cannot afford to waste space and FPs in ND. diamond players maybe can, since they can buy their way out off inefficiency.
Do try to see things from different perspectives, mmkay?

Are they wasting space if they use ND for happiness and in doing so don't have to use multiple cultural buildings? Or does that not count as a different perspective?

DevaCat

I re-read it and still stand by what I wrote. If a GB gets outgrown due to later developments, dump it! I sent ToB down the drain for that reason. Never did build Oracle so no need to get rid of it thankfully.
And still you don't see that different perspective, your diamonds must be blinding. Building and then dumping is fine if it works for you, but that's a diamond perspective.

A ftp player does not have the luxury of building and then (too soon) dumping a GB, wasting not only fps but also what the real estate it occupied could have produced during the time it was up -- the argument is that there are more efficient uses for the space and the resources a ftp player has to work with.

A ftp player doesn't have the luxury of short-term thinking, so planning has a place. In the case of the ToB, I never built one, never wanted one. I knew the direction I was headed eliminated housing, goods producers, and most barracks -- I was not going to need the extra pop. An early short-term need for happiness was handled more cheaply by using one or two culturals which were soon dumped without regret. Now you can get more space-efficient happy buildings from Events that could be used.

NB I'm not saying never dump a GB. A late-game player may well decide to dump early/mid-game GBs in favor of something else. Ditto the mid-game player for certain early GBs. But for an early-game player, especially a ftp player, build and dump is a costly mistake imho.

Kranyar the Mysterious

Since I've gotten HC easily in every city by Iron Age, I humbly disagree. And I am FTP.

A player that spends fp on a ND is wasting fp that they could have used on the HC instead. HC is a bit more expensive, but not prohibitively so.

Just An Observer

And still you don't see that different perspective, your diamonds must be blinding. Building and then dumping is fine if it works for you, but that's a diamond perspective.

A ftp player does not have the luxury of building and then (too soon) dumping a GB, wasting not only fps but also what the real estate it occupied could have produced during the time it was up -- the argument is that there are more efficient uses for the space and the resources a ftp player has to work with.

A ftp player doesn't have the luxury of short-term thinking, so planning has a place. In the case of the ToB, I never built one, never wanted one. I knew the direction I was headed eliminated housing, goods producers, and most barracks -- I was not going to need the extra pop. An early short-term need for happiness was handled more cheaply by using one or two culturals which were soon dumped without regret. Now you can get more space-efficient happy buildings from Events that could be used.

NB I'm not saying never dump a GB. A late-game player may well decide to dump early/mid-game GBs in favor of something else. Ditto the mid-game player for certain early GBs. But for an early-game player, especially a ftp player, build and dump is a costly mistake imho.

Diamond perspective? LOL! Here's the deal. A city evolves. That's it, plain and simple. FtP or P2P, the city still evolves. That factor never changes. Use it or lose it is a saying but sometimes it is better to use it, then lose it.

Random.dude878

The simple answer is no. Here is a list on what I think what great buildings are great, and which are horrible:

OoB-Red
ToR-Yellow
Obs-Orange
GT-Orange
ToB-Orange
Zeus-Green
LoA-Yellow
Colo-Red
CA-Green
HS-Orange
SMB-Orange
ND-Red