• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Show level upgrades for building

Do you support this idea?

• Yes

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters

Tarcotti

I think what everyone always forgets about, especially on the forums, is new players.

When my husband tried to play FOE. I was telling him so much information that wasn’t in the actual game itself. He was astounded by the amount of time he’d have to spend looking up and learning everything. And the game already consumes a massive amount of time, he felt like he couldn’t keep up and quit.

I’ve heard similar stories from friends I invited. It’s fun and addicting but a LOT. Some people would call it a “time suck” and they are kind of right. I’m always up for putting more knowledge into the game itself, (And less clicks) so it saves more time for playing, less for research.

Also, I don’t like to build buildings unless I know what they CAN be.

Salsuero

he felt like he couldn’t keep up and quit.
This isn't meant to be rude or crass, but it sounds like this wasn't the game for him. More than a handful of players have had no issue with doing well at this game with what we already have. I'm not saying more is necessarily worse. But this is a competitive game, after all, and I don't think it needs to be made into something that coddles new players either. Some will dabble and others will rabbit hole. There are lots of ways to play this game. Perhaps you overwhelmed your husband unnecessarily because not everyone needs to play this game to its fullest potential to enjoy it. I know many players that just part-time it with (what I would consider) very weak towns. They don't advance much in years of playing... and yet they're doing just fine.

Tarcotti

This isn't meant to be rude or crass, but it sounds like this wasn't the game for him. More than a handful of players have had no issue with doing well at this game with what we already have. I'm not saying more is necessarily worse. But this is a competitive game, after all, and I don't think it needs to be made into something that coddles new players either. Some will dabble and others will rabbit hole. There are lots of ways to play this game. Perhaps you overwhelmed your husband unnecessarily because not everyone needs to play this game to its fullest potential to enjoy it. I know many players that just part-time it with (what I would consider) very weak towns. They don't advance much in years of playing... and yet they're doing just fine.
I actually want to thank you for not being rude. You’re right in the way that this wasn’t the game for him. He plays DND and has researched THAT game to death. He likes in depth games. Just not this one.
But it’s not just him. Most people I’ve invited to this game have quit over time because it’s too much of a time suck. Lol. And I agree! I can’t log out until everything is done, and there’s so much to do. I can’t help it, I’m addicted. And anything that saves time I support.

Salsuero

And anything that saves time I support.
Well, the problem is... Inno doesn't support it. They WANT you here. They WANT you addicted. It's good for business to keep you here as long as possible. Sometimes they have streamlined, but I doubt it's been for your benefit... to keep you here less. It's more likely that they have determined that those changes, while making things faster for you, still benefit Inno. I don't think they mind it if a casual player disappears. Casual players are VERY unlikely to ever spend money on this game. Obviously they don't want a mass exodus of players, which is why they keep improving and adding to it. But they are trying to get you addicted and time-invested... because you'll be more likely to buy something. Not a guarantee... but more likely than someone who only checks in for 5 minutes twice a week. I'll ask you this... how much different would the game have needed to be in order for him to dive into it the way you had hoped? Would that different game still be the game you wanna play? How about the rest of us? That's the challenge with appealing to a broad base. I don't think you can appeal to everyone.