• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] shrine of knowledge...how many is too many...

I've just arrived at AF and have amassed a strip of 38 SOK's. For awhile the yield of FP's was great, but with the expansion of my space, GB's, Special buildings and other brick-a-brack, I'm finding it more and more necessary to use my Self-Aid kits to get a full yield. I already painstakingly pay close attention to only having the buildings I use and need, so as not to attract motivation to otherwise useless buildings and decorations. At this point it seems to have settled to about half of my SOK's being motivated by other players on-average so I will be thinning the heard by at least a quarter, if not a full third.

I guess my question is, what is your relationship to SOK's and how useful do they continue to be in your own city?

Sharmon the Impaler

Unless you are just starting out and have no built up GBs or special buildings 1 SoK is too much. They chew up aid for more important buildings , are very inefficient and eat up large amounts of space in quantity. Dont forget that they are 2X3 and NOT 2X2 because they need roads to work. 4 SoKs eat up 24 squares and produce 4 FP which is a horrible return on your real estate. I am in Q under the same name and sold all of my 40 SoKs months ago and have almost doubled my attack to 1200/900 and increased my FP to about 819 per day , good riddance to the SoKs.

Meat Butcher

A few years back, I traveled to the Himalaya's to spend time with some Tibetan monks for a week.
Lhamo Dhondup the Dalai Lama approached me as I was trying to meditate.
He said to me, "Meat San, why do look so troubled?"

I said, "is it that clear I am frustrated oh foremost spiritual leader?" I play this silly game, and no matter how much I aid my guild mates it seems 4 of my shrines of Knowledge do not get motivated. If they do not get motivated it costs me a valuable Forge Point!"
The Dalai Lama replied, "Oh....I know this is very frustrating, I know you are talking about Forge Of Empires and I play in T world on the Tibetan Server. I know how terrible it is to lose a valuable Forge Point !"
"Meat San, this can only mean that you have too many SOK's that need motivating. Set the 4 SOK's that never get motivated free and achieve the serenity and peace you are looking for!"
I said to him, "WOW......you have opened my eyes and when I get back home I will delete all that do not get mp'd to achieve the happiness I crave. Thank you so much oh wiser of the wise !"

Before I left, the Dalai Lama said, "Hey.....I am with you, I believe Inno put the limit on RQ's to stop the cheaters not limit the amount of coin and supply you can get. Pfft how silly is that Meat San!"

Ebeondi Asi

Weed your Friend's list. Get Friends who aid you every day,or at least five of seven. The problem is not the SoKs but the people you have who do not aid your city.
There is a parallel problem, that is Do you aid everyone every day? if not then asking others to do so is hypocrisy. I delete people who do not aid me much.

Sharmon the Impaler

Can you explain how they do that?

Not in my case because I do the mass collect option always but in many cases players don't and FP buildings get priority. If you have a forest of SoKs that are freshly harvested then they will get priority leaving some of your other higher FP (special buildings that rely on aid) buildings unaided if you don't have enough people aiding your city to blanket them all.

Dominator - X

I've just arrived at AF and have amassed a strip of 38 SOK's. For awhile the yield of FP's was great, but with the expansion of my space, GB's, Special buildings and other brick-a-brack, I'm finding it more and more necessary to use my Self-Aid kits to get a full yield. I already painstakingly pay close attention to only having the buildings I use and need, so as not to attract motivation to otherwise useless buildings and decorations. At this point it seems to have settled to about half of my SOK's being motivated by other players on-average so I will be thinning the heard by at least a quarter, if not a full third.

I guess my question is, what is your relationship to SOK's and how useful do they continue to be in your own city?

Agent327

Not in my case because I do the mass collect option always but in many cases players don't and FP buildings get priority. If you have a forest of SoKs that are freshly harvested then they will get priority leaving some of your other higher FP (special buildings that rely on aid) buildings unaided if you don't have enough people aiding your city to blanket them all.

No they don"t. Aiding priority makes sure of that. Those other higer FP buildings get aided before your SoK's.

P C C

No they don"t. Aiding priority makes sure of that. Those other higer FP buildings get aided before your SoK's.
Unless they give FP regardless of whether they are aided. In which case someone who gets plundered on occasion and can't always collect on time or just wants the secondary rewards more than 1 FP might see them as more important. (Governor's Villa, Royal Bathhouse, Express, Hippodrome, ...)

I have one level 2 SoK but got rid of all my level 1. If I have nothing else better, I use level 2 Terrace Farms. (I'm phasing them out more slowly.)

Sharmon the Impaler

No they don"t. Aiding priority makes sure of that. Those other higher FP buildings get aided before your SoK's.

If you mass collect yes it does , if you collect all your SoKs because they are out of sync then the time that the SoKs are ready for aid they get it first. You collect the higher special buildings then the aid is already used up on the SoKs until the next 24 hour period is up. Your priority list only works if everything starts at zero at the same time and all aid every 24 hours which is not the case in many instances.

Agent327

If you mass collect yes it does , if you collect all your SoKs because they are out of sync then the time that the SoKs are ready for aid they get it first. You collect the higher special buildings then the aid is already used up on the SoKs until the next 24 hour period is up. Your priority list only works if everything starts at zero at the same time and all aid every 24 hours which is not the case in many instances.

You are totally wrong. It does not matter if you collect all your buildings at the same time or not. The moment a building that produces the most fp's is collected it gets priority right away and can be motivated as the next building motivated. SoK's being out of sync has no influence at all. SoK's never get it first if there are other buildings producing more fp's.

A few years back, I traveled to the Himalaya's to spend time with some Tibetan monks for a week.
Lhamo Dhondup the Dalai Lama approached me as I was trying to meditate.
He said to me, "Meat San, why do look so troubled?"

I said, "is it that clear I am frustrated oh foremost spiritual leader?" I play this silly game, and no matter how much I aid my guild mates it seems 4 of my shrines of Knowledge do not get motivated. If they do not get motivated it costs me a valuable Forge Point!"
The Dalai Lama replied, "Oh....I know this is very frustrating, I know you are talking about Forge Of Empires and I play in T world on the Tibetan Server. I know how terrible it is to lose a valuable Forge Point !"
"Meat San, this can only mean that you have too many SOK's that need motivating. Set the 4 SOK's that never get motivated free and achieve the serenity and peace you are looking for!"
I said to him, "WOW......you have opened my eyes and when I get back home I will delete all that do not get mp'd to achieve the happiness I crave. Thank you so much oh wiser of the wise !"

Before I left, the Dalai Lama said, "Hey.....I am with you, I believe Inno put the limit on RQ's to stop the cheaters not limit the amount of coin and supply you can get. Pfft how silly is that Meat San!"
Ha!

Can you explain how they do that?
It's pretty straightforward....if there are more important things to be aided, having a lot of lesser things lying around attracting attention will make it less likely that your good stuff will get the star...especially when people auto-aid (ie. hit the aid tab rather than visit your city). This is a big reason why I'm thinning out my SOK's.

Weed your Friend's list. Get Friends who aid you every day,or at least five of seven. The problem is not the SoKs but the people you have who do not aid your city.
There is a parallel problem, that is Do you aid everyone every day? if not then asking others to do so is hypocrisy. I delete people who do not aid me much.
I do aid every day....but there are only so many friends, neighbors and guild members and even if they ALL aided your stuff every day, you might still have stragglers.

Agent327

It's pretty straightforward....if there are more important things to be aided, having a lot of lesser things lying around attracting attention will make it less likely that your good stuff will get the star...especially when people auto-aid (ie. hit the aid tab rather than visit your city). This is a big reason why I'm thinning out my SOK's.

No it doesn't.

Building that gives the most fp, always gets aided first when people use the aid button. Lot lesser things do not matter .

P C C

No it doesn't.

Building that gives the most fp, always gets aided first when people use the aid button. Lot lesser things do not matter .

Not if the aid isn't required for the FPs. Hence, plunderers looking for, e.g., long trains to plunder.

And while you are correct about priorities, The Winning Bid is correct that if you don't mass collect it is possible (if you don't get enough aids for everything) that players may already have aided the lower FP buildings when the higher ones become available and nobody may aid the higher ones even though they have higher priority. (They should at least get aided every other day.)