• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] shrine of knowledge...how many is too many...

P C C

And while you are correct about priorities, The Winning Bid is correct that if you don't mass collect it is possible (if you don't get enough aids for everything) that players may already have aided the lower FP buildings when the higher ones become available and nobody may aid the higher ones even though they have higher priority. (They should at least get aided every other day.)
On second thought, I think I got this wrong. At least the way I was getting to my conclusion was incorrect. You may occasionally miss out but if so it should be rare.

Agent327

The Winning Bid is correct that if you don't mass collect it is possible (if you don't get enough aids for everything) that players may already have aided the lower FP buildings when the higher ones become available and nobody may aid the higher ones even though they have higher priority. (They should at least get aided every other day.)

Once they become available there is 24 hrs for them to be aided again. Nobody aiding the higher ones in those 24 hrs is highly unlikely since the players who aided them before can aid again.

Nashtah

I guess my question is, what is your relationship to SOK's and how useful do they continue to be in your own city?

I looked at the problem from the other direction of how many total aids does my town need and how many does it get? I found the based on my play and friend list that the 40 aids a day is the amount I receive so my town is set for no more than 40 aids to receive all fps that need aids. I have 5 SoK and right now need 35 aids daily.

Emberguard

How many is too many:

(1) if you don't have enough Aid to motivate them all you have too many
(2) if you run completely out of space, Shrine of Knowledge is currently your weakest available building and you have something you can place down that is superior

Under either of those two conditions you have too many

Emberguard

At most, you need 2 road sections for 4 SoKs. That's 18 squares total,
Problem with your math at 18 squares is it misses the bigger picture. Chances are a city only using two road squares per four SoKs is a far worse city design than a city using double the roads for the SoKs

You'd likely be wanting to use 20 squares total OR 24 if the other side of the road is a entirely different building. In which case it's not any less efficient to use 24 instead of 20. 20 assumes only SoKs taking up both sides of the road. 24 assumes there's other buildings in addition to the SoKs sharing that same road. Usually to simplify things and account for roads people calculate the size of building plus a road running along the shortest side.

The alternative would be to calculate the shortest side divided by two, then take that answer and add it onto the building size. Which could potentially be more accurate depending on what you're trying to calculate. The more I think about it, it would likely give a more accurate calculation for figuring out building efficiency as that then accounts for the road being shared between buildings

Anyway, back to this point I was making:
Chances are a city only using two road squares per four SoKs is a far worse city design than a city using double the roads for the SoKs
And here's why:
1624959426869.png

1624960201536.png

The only way you could possibly connect 4 SoKs with 2 roads is by ending your road connection on double SoKs. Otherwise you'd get anything from 3-8 road pieces (if running along one side, 8 road pieces would mean some other building is on the other side)

Only utilising two road pieces per 4 SoKs inherently introduces gaps into your design. It's be more efficient to place them like this:

1624959999120.png

Or like this:
1624960105426.png

Not only would it eliminate gaps at the end of roads, but it reduces the roads needed overall by letting your largest buildings only require one road piece

Last edited:

Ironrooster

The alternative would be to calculate the shortest side divided by two, then take that answer and add it onto the building size. Which could potentially be more accurate depending on what you're trying to calculate. The more I think about it, it would likely give a more accurate calculation for figuring out building efficiency as that then accounts for the road being shared between buildings

For comparing buildings, I think this is the easiest and quickest way to do it.

Johnny B. Goode

Only utilising two road pieces per 4 SoKs inherently introduces gaps into your design.
Yes, my bad. 3 road pieces is sufficient for 4 SoKs if they're the last buildings on the road and on opposite sides of the road. 4 road pieces if they're along a middle section of a road and on opposite sides. So either 19 or 20 for 4 SoKs. The problem with saying it's 24 if they're all on the same side of the road is that you're ignoring the fact that the buildings on the other side of the road need those road sections, too. You're assigning the need for them strictly to the SoKs.

If I start with an empty city and only build 4 SoKs, then 3 road sections is sufficient. Technically speaking, I could do it with 2 if I put all 4 adjacent to the Town Hall. If I am trying to efficiently design a city from scratch, then I put all 2-wide buildings along the edge of the city with a road running next to them. Then I put other buildings along the other side of the road. In that case, I would need 2 road tiles for each SoK except the last one in line, but the buildings on the other side of those road tiles share the need for them. So it's misleading to say that 4 SoKs need 24 road tiles.

So as it turns out, I can currently support 20 SOK's without losing the motivations for other stuff. Thanks to the new event, I stocked up with store-building items and I'm now flush with market coins and gems from selling off the chaff, have more space for better stuff and better things to put there. All around, a good decision. Thanks for the feedback!

Ebeondi Asi

The SoK may rise in popularity with the new 140 Friend change. I used to stay at 80 because there was always a need now and then to send a FR now, I can stay at 139 and still send a FR. Whoo Hoo. (not that I would add many SoK)

UP ONLINE

I've just arrived at AF and have amassed a strip of 38 SOK's. For awhile the yield of FP's was great, but with the expansion of my space, GB's, Special buildings and other brick-a-brack, I'm finding it more and more necessary to use my Self-Aid kits to get a full yield. I already painstakingly pay close attention to only having the buildings I use and need, so as not to attract motivation to otherwise useless buildings and decorations. At this point it seems to have settled to about half of my SOK's being motivated by other players on-average so I will be thinning the heard by at least a quarter, if not a full third.

I guess my question is, what is your relationship to SOK's and how useful do they continue to be in your own city?
If you get a good nest of FP invest it into GB that produces FP
THAT'S THE GAME making a boat load of FP

Just An Observer

If you play GBG in a Big Dog guild, then just one SoK is too much. 10 FP's from 5 Level 2 SoK's as compared to simply getting 10 FP's from GBG is why I say what I am saying.