• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Simple Multiplication Table and Color Balls

Triopoly Champion

I use this for my learning of multiplication and division.
Well it is not really learning it is improving you average response time for multiplication and division questions.
My record is something like 2.4 secs per Q.
It's also especially useful when counting in the computer bases such as octal -
Octal Multiplications of 2.png

Triopoly Champion

Nobody uses octal. Hex is so much more useful.
Just because everyone uses the decimal, doesn't mean it's the best base in the universe.

Dozenal is stronger than Hexadecimal when dealing with Common Core divisions and fractions.

1/2 = 0.6
1/3 = 0.4
2/3 = 0.8
1/4 = 0.3
3/4 = 0.9

The dozenal fractions are way easier than most other bases and the base itself is not too large.

If your color balls last longer than four hours, consult your doctor.
Most U.S. doctors praise for the "Stay at Home" efforts of South Korea and Japan, their citizens are really strong when calculating math across multiple bases, thus they know when to go out and when not to, so the Corona-virus spreading have been contained way more efficiently in Seoul and Tokyo than in New York City and Chicago. If the Korean and Japanese people can why the Americans cannot?

My color balls last longer than 4 hours because I have to "Stay at Home".

UBERhelp1

Dozenal is stronger than Hexadecimal when dealing with Common Core divisions and fractions.

1/2 = 0.6
1/3 = 0.4
2/3 = 0.8
1/4 = 0.3
3/4 = 0.9

The dozenal fractions are way easier than most other bases and the base itself is not too large.
That is true. Dozenal fractions are pretty nice. Also, after I realized that there were two types of balls (circle and rounded square) these charts actually make a bit more sense.

My only remaining comment is in your notation for the octal chart. Instead of writing the multiplication of 2x8 (decimal) as 28x108, you leave it as the ambiguous 2x8. This can confuse people about which base you are doing the operations in. 2x10 (decimal) would yield 248. When you are working in a base other than decimal, you should always notate it as such or include a note saying that all values are given in that base.

Other than that, it is kinda cool.

Triopoly Champion

That is true. Dozenal fractions are pretty nice. Also, after I realized that there were two types of balls (circle and rounded square) these charts actually make a bit more sense.

My only remaining comment is in your notation for the octal chart. Instead of writing the multiplication of 2x8 (decimal) as 28x108, you leave it as the ambiguous 2x8. This can confuse people about which base you are doing the operations in. 2x10 (decimal) would yield 248. When you are working in a base other than decimal, you should always notate it as such or include a note saying that all values are given in that base.

Other than that, it is kinda cool.
I guessed I forgot to put the parentheses around my formula, it's easier to read this way.

(2 x 10 = 20)

I already put the "Octal" title on the top of my image, I'll try to work on a hexadecimal or tetradozenal multiplication table, see how it turns out.

Last edited:

Triopoly Champion

Hex is so much more useful.
Hex serves primarily 2, 4 and 8 when dealing with the common fractions: (1/2 = 0.8, 1/4 = 0.4, 1/8 = 0.2), so more friendly with the computer binary system. Dozenal serves 3, 6, 9 (1/3 = 0.4, 1/6 = 0.2, 1/9 = 0.14) while doesn't leave 2, 4, 8 behind too much: (1/2 = 0.6, 1/4 = 0.3, 1/8 = 0.16).

The multiplication tables of hex seems pretty large, if it becomes to default humanity base, the kids will have to memorize all the way from 2 to (8 + 8 = 10), the total size is almost quadruple from the usual.

Tetradozenal Multiplications of 2 - Color Ball Towers.png

MOD EDIT: Too large image(s), spoiler tags added.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aggressor

this thread just got bumped and I saw it. Thanks for the giant headache @tuckerkao because I didn't have one before I saw that multiplication table thingy
What was the point of that? Did you think people were gonna download it show it to their kids? Maybe a different forum is the place for that.
Also, I would have a harder time memorizing that chart that looks like pride month stuffed onto one page than I would memorizing multiplication.
And did I mention I have a headache now?