• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Slavery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm offended (not really) that people feel the need to come into a game and express moral outrage to get changes made because they're looking for anything to get offended at. The world needs to grow a thicker skin, because the amount of people crying foul at the smallest of things seems to be growing. Stop looking for issues where there aren't any, and maybe you'll be a bit happier in life.
I'm a actually quite happy with my life, and I wasn't looking for something to be offended about. I saw a post whose opinion aligned with my own, and then I saw responses of disagreement - both towards the person's idea a d towards him personally. I responded to both. That's all. I think it's fair and reasonable for you to disagree and I think there's anything wrong with you for disagreeing. Reasonable people disagree all the time. And since I really am fine with that, I'm not sure why I'd need a thicker skin.

Way too many words to signal your virtue that I have no interest in reading.

So let's get back to the original point. If you're so offended by all of this, what are you doing about the real slavery that exists in the world today? The slavery that made your phone?

It's a whole lot easier to signal your virtue than to actually be virtuous. What are you doing to actually be virtuous? Lecturing us and Inno games certainly is not that. It's all about you, feeding your ego, showing how smart and woke you are. How you;re so much better than us.

So, how much better are you? What are you doing? With your time and money? You know, those things that cost YOU something as opposed to your empty words which are cheap.

Completely insufferable.
I don't think I'm better. I'm not sure why me having an opinion that differs from some others means that I think I'm better. My job actually deals with modern day slavery. I work for an organization that helps to find and release people from human trafficking. The territories I work in are North and South America. So, my time and money are primarily spent in countering human trafficking - modern day slavery. confusing

I don't think that somehow gives me any more right to my feelings than others. It just seems like people are just as offended with McClurek and/ or me as we were by the game's reference to this topic. I find that interesting, but confusing.

I hate slavery. But at the time it was nessesary to keep the north, and the souths economy running. The north depended on the cotton from the south, which was picked by slaves.

Im not saying that the economy couldnt have developed in another way,it could have. But it didnt. Back then how the economy was it was nessary.

Also,Why are you offended by historical fact?
Im sorry but if you are going to be offended by stuff, pick a 21st century problem that affects our lifes now.

(there are Many to choose from, trust me!)
In fact if yiou want, i will send you a list of problems that affect our lives today.Just dm me asking for a list of them.Those are thing u can pick a side and get offended over.
(trust me there are many)
Also im going to take a example of somthing that i hate happened in histor, but did.
(before i go any furthur let me remind you all im not anti semitic, im actually jewish!)

The holocaust.
6 MILLION jews were killed.

Countless million more of other ethnicitys were killed.

This saddens me deeply. However im not offended by it.
Why?
Because its the past.Why would i waste time being offended on somthing i cant change because it already happened?

Personlly i do not belivie that that quote is saying that slavery is good.
I think that if you find it a waste of time, then you shouldn't do it. But even though you see it as a waste of time, I appreciate your comment about how the economy could have developed another way, but it didn't. I wasn't suggesting that inno change history of even soften the view of it. I also don't think it's saying that slavery is good. I took issue with them saying it was necessary, and then stopping the narrative there. I just think that where they stopped in their retelling of it makes the narrative incomplete and insensitive. If they referenced the holocaust and presented an incomplete view, that would likely also offend me. but I don't think that because I'm offended that you also should be.

there are a lot of modern day problems that consume me. My job deals with finding those who've been lost to human trafficking. Trust me, I don't need a list of modern day problems - my job brings me into close proximity of them daily.

DeletedUser36572

I don't think I'm better. I'm not sure why me having an opinion that differs from some others means that I think I'm better. My job actually deals with modern day slavery. I work for an organization that helps to find and release people from human trafficking. The territories I work in are North and South America. So, my time and money are primarily spent in countering human trafficking - modern day slavery. confusing

I don't think that somehow gives me any more right to my feelings than others. It just seems like people are just as offended with McClurek and/ or me as we were by the game's reference to this topic. I find that interesting, but confusing.

At least you understand the difference between thinking something and doing something.

You should also have significant insight into the difference between what the people who think something may think, and what the people that do something may think.

Pen vs Sword

Yeah I'm not sure about this one either. White slaves were a thing (not in America but still) Not all slaves were of one ethnicity.

America didn't have the first (or last) slaves, to say this is offensive, but then say it's only offensive to Americans is unfair.

That's what slavery was in the eyes of the people back then, whether you like it or not.

What does he think about this quest narrative?
I don't think it's only possible for it to only be culturally insensitive towards North Americans and I apologize if I gave you that impression. I didn't intend for my answer to be limiting. There are definitely others who may feel that this was culturally insensitive towards them.

I think that's what slavery was to some back then, which is why I didn't question the comment being made in the quest. I questioned the narrative ending at that comment, because that view was not the only view of slavery back then. I guess I do see what the big deal is about just adding a counterpoint response in the narrative. If, to your point, the counter-response reflects a historic view, just from another perspective, it would for within the quest.

Status
Not open for further replies.