• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Slowness

DeletedUser26660

Flash is going to be discontinued by 2020, and many browsers are planning to disable it by default soon. Flash is no longer needed, as it's features have become unnecessary, so it has been slowly dying.
Yes, HTML just needs a little getting used to...like getting older :)

DeletedUser36624

In my experience - Windows 10 with Chrome browser - I find HTML5 to be equivalent to Flash in responsiveness. The HTML5 version uses more memory (starts at around 0.7 GB and continually climbs from there). With the game open all the time, memory usage will climb to well over 4 GB. If performance is an on-going problem, it could be that memory requirements are an issue.
4GB? Wow, that's a real pig. If it were doing that on my computer (6GB), it would be unplayable, especially with more than one tab open.

DeletedUser

I had 3 times tried it (HTML5) and 3 times I come back to Flash, running
If you want to use HTML5 at least give us a copy paste key shortcut
More - I don't understand why after each update we need to "debug"
If it's going to be slower - maybe delay the update and fix the speed problem?

DeletedUser

Control-C for Copy
Control-V for Paste
There, that was easy.
If it's going to be slower - maybe delay the update and fix the speed problem?
Seriously? The adjustment of the software to the update is what causes the temporary slowness. If you know how to update a complicated game like this without causing any temporary slowness whatsoever, you should apply for a job with InnoGames and show them how to do it.
I had 3 times tried it (HTML5) and 3 times I come back to Flash, running
And how long did you stick with it each time? A day or less? There is an adjustment period to the changeover, after which HTML5 performs at least as well as Flash ever did.

RazorbackPirate

Ctrl+C to copy, Ctrl+V to paste. Just like every other Windows application. However, I will agree, I'd like them to add to HTML5 the right click menu that's in Flash, but not nearly enough to stay on Flash with it making it's hasty exit.

DeletedUser27889

I play on two worlds, one HTML5 since it was brought to live and the other in flash. Ever since the server upgrade they announced was happening on the forum the HTML version of the game has been awful while flash is same as it had been. I constantly get a pop up 'we have detected the game running slow would you like to turn off animation' yes I know I can disable this but it was never something I got before and when I mean the game is dragging I mean I sometimes can't type more than a couple sentences without it freezing up and shooting me that message, and yall know how much I like to type my sentences.

That's the world I don't have a big arc and need to lock up buildings nor do I play GvG so while frustrating it's not as game breaking for me as it would be others or in my other world. I've played the HTML version of the game way back to first release on beta and this is BY FAR the worst it has been.

Czari

Is anybody else experiencing a slowness this morning? For me, it's crawling (and I did restart computer :))/
I have a gaming PC so it has a lot of power under the hood...or box...but since the HTML update the game is crawling. I used flash for the last four years on the Chrome browser with no issues. Tried HTML5 and it's an absolute nightmare. Switched back to flash but even it is much slower. When I enter my city for the first time it takes what seems like forever, then the first time I do any action, same thing. Having to wait almost a minute between each friend aid is ludicrous.

Inno, please undo whatever you did!!

And yes, Stephen, I did all the browser housekeeping tasks (clearing cache, running two different adware/spyware programs, etc.) I can't recall how long I tried HTML because the wait time for every little thing was ludicrous but it was at least 4ish days and as time went on it got worse instead of better.

Last edited:

DeletedUser34480

Flash is going to be discontinued by 2020, and many browsers are planning to disable it by default soon. Flash is no longer needed, as it's features have become unnecessary, so it has been slowly dying.
Yeah, that's what they said about Mainframe few decades ago in my current company. 20 years and 20 mil later, it's still alive and getting ready to update its operating system, lol.

DeletedUser37581

Yeah, that's what they said about Mainframe few decades ago in my current company. 20 years and 20 mil later, it's still alive and getting ready to update its operating system, lol.
Did your mainframe company say they were discontinuing support for their product? Or was it just the general opinion of the "experts"?

Because Adobe (the makers of Flash) have stated that the product will be discontinued in 2020. Browsers are already beginning the process of discontinuing support for Flash. And I doubt Inno will continue to provide a Flash version for very long after Adobe discontinues the product.

DeletedUser34480

Because Adobe (the makers of Flash) have stated that the product will be discontinued in 2020. Browsers are already beginning the process of discontinuing support for Flash. And I doubt Inno will continue to provide a Flash version for very long after Adobe discontinues the product.

I'm doubting Adobe, partially. Then, there is always a possibility someone will create its own "Flash".
It all depends on willingness of companies to change.
Then, it'd come to the point that you couldn't understand about Mainframe.
Have a good day, see no point to continue this discussion. Let's keep our own opinion :)

DeletedUser

I'm doubting Adobe, partially. Then, there is always a possibility someone will create its own "Flash".
It all depends on willingness of companies to change.
Then, it'd come to the point that you couldn't understand about Mainframe.
Have a good day, see no point to continue this discussion. Let's keep our own opinion :)
Google will make Chrome users jump through hoops to continue using Flash starting in July 2019, and end use of Flash altogether when Adobe ends support for it in 2020. Also, it is common knowledge that Flash is one of the highest risk plug-ins you can use on your computer. So you cling to your "opinion" that all these facts are wrong, and good luck with that.

DeletedUser34480

Google will make Chrome users jump through hoops to continue using Flash starting in July 2019, and end use of Flash altogether when Adobe ends support for it in 2020. Also, it is common knowledge that Flash is one of the highest risk plug-ins you can use on your computer. So you cling to your "opinion" that all these facts are wrong, and good luck with that.
Well, imagine than, that one of the browsers would continue support.
Personally, if I can't play this game on Chrome, I'll switch to something else.
If you give it a thought, I haven't argued that HTML5 might be better.
For example, I'm still not using razors with a floating head. They just perform worse on my face.
I would speculate, I'm not the only one. If you check supermarkets, they are still there.

DeletedUser

I like your optimism. It's misplaced, but admirable. You can't really think that other browsers will leave themselves open to issues with an already non-secure and now unsupported plug-in, can you? They will all follow suit in disabling it. That's how technology works now. You don't still have an 8-track player, do you?

DeletedUser37581

I like your optimism. It's misplaced, but admirable. You can't really think that other browsers will leave themselves open to issues with an already non-secure and now unsupported plug-in, can you? They will all follow suit in disabling it. That's how technology works now. You don't still have an 8-track player, do you?
It isn't just a browser issue. Inno will stop supporting Flash. The game will only be available in HTML5 on the PC.

RazorbackPirate

Imagine if there were purple unicorns that could fly?

There will come a day in FoE where Flash will cease to exist. The code will be removed, as will the option to run a Flash version. The browser you try will be irrelevant, there will be no Flash in FoE to run. Flash, tossed into the pan forever.

DeletedUser34480

Well, answer this then. Flash is already so bad, how come we have two versions running side by side?
The other point, if you check, I've put "Flash" in quotes. Meaning, it can be something like-Flash, not "the" Flash from Adobe.
As for how software development works, really, guys. Let's not consider steps taken to be always best. For example, that dumb cloud lover from Microsoft wants to seize Windows itself, forget changes to browsing.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser33179

Well, answer this then. Flash is already so bad, how come we have two versions running side by side?
The other point, if you check, I've put "Flash" in quotes. Meaning, it can be something like-Flash, not "the" Flash from Adobe.
As for how software development works, really, guys. Let's not consider steps taken to be always best. For example, that dumb ass cloud lover from Microsoft wants to seize Windows itself, forget changes to browsing.

Then by all means, you keep using Flash or something Flash-like for everything that offers that option

DeletedUser29726

I can have 2 html5 versions running side by side too. Largely the issues I have are present in both versions (though I've heard some people do have issues in html5 still but not flash with certain features - one person swapping back and forth between them regularly because they feel each version does 1 thing a little better than the other).

As for flash itself being discontinued it's been a long time coming and with how dependent portions of the internet had become on it, it became necessary to set a plan for removal with dates so that all invested parties (such as a game company using flash as its platform) had a reasonable timeline to adapt. There are a number of options that could be chosen how to approach it. From what I've seen inno opted for porting it to html5 using haXe (which is a free alternative to develop flash applications and can compile to various other targets). I'm guessing that since it already was built to use flash that it reduced the workload of porting their existing code base.

When d-day hits for flash I'm sure there will still be other applications on the internet that did not feel it worth converting - and as such some niche browsers will probably still be around to run them even as the major ones celebrate and disable it for good. I would not expect however after inno put in the work to port it that they'd continue to support the flash version of the game, so you will have to move to the html5 version.