• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Smallville and Tiny Town

qaccy

You could theoretically do this with no goods buildings. No sure what world you started in, but if you are in a world with older players, find someone in FE. Offer them a generous trade for 50 Future Goods. Say 1:1 FP for goods, trade down 50 future goods and you can have 1248 EMA goods or 2496 Iron goods. All for 2 days worth of FPs. You would have zero need for Iron goods buildings and could focus on stock piling supplies.

I feel like that would cheapen the challenge, though I suppose that's up to the individual.

The problem with Babel's more population is having to counter it with happiness buildings that take away space for other buildings.

Alessi - I am already encountering difficulty trading 50 or 100 BA goods on P World. I imagine I could trade FE for TA and work my way down for awhile but, I would eventually encounter the same difficulty as I get down to the earliest ages especially, with the large quantities I would be trying to trade down by then. I suspect the long time players of this world are mostly ColAge and later and have little need for BA goods muchless have any to trade.

I feel like that would cheapen the challenge, though I suppose that's up to the individual.
This, too. I have already gotten lucky in find a Level 9 Zeus that no one was seriously chasing and spent over a week just throwing FPs at it and locked up first place and 3 BPs from it, and it kind of feels like cheating. An Iron Age player isn't supposed to be able to score 3 BPs at once.

JSfAGgj.jpg

Added Zeus and gained 990 points under the new points system. Next is to replace the 4 Stone Age Memorials with the Lighthouse and then I can move forward with Iron Age Tech.

DeletedUser13452

Try a wishing wells instead of supply buildings and goods buildings. Along with a ToB, it should work quite well. Maybe Hagia instead of fruitfarm and decos.

qaccy

Try a wishing wells instead of supply buildings and goods buildings. Along with a ToB, it should work quite well. Maybe Hagia instead of fruitfarm and decos.

Wishing Wells end up being very efficient options in these cities I think. GBs larger than 4x4 are tough to justify though. Chateau, Dresden, Dynamic and the Space Needle all seem like very powerful options but by the time you're able to obtain them I think only Dresden might be worth it. However, if you're patient then ToB+Lighthouse should provide you with enough goods (and later, unrefined goods) to get by (or run a refined goods building). Especially since you'll likely have them at rather high levels compared to a normal city.

Wishing Wells end up being very efficient options in these cities I think. GBs larger than 4x4 are tough to justify though. Chateau, Dresden, Dynamic and the Space Needle all seem like very powerful options but by the time you're able to obtain them I think only Dresden might be worth it. However, if you're patient then ToB+Lighthouse should provide you with enough goods (and later, unrefined goods) to get by (or run a refined goods building). Especially since you'll likely have them at rather high levels compared to a normal city.

I wish you had said this a few days ago. I didn't even try for the Wishing Well when it had its day in the Easter Event. In the mid-ages (Colonial and up), it loses a lot of luster but, I can see how it could be helpful at times at the lower ages.

It looks like I will be adding Babel to Zeus and Lighthouse. It's too difficult to trade for low age goods on Parkog. Still, that will have to wait until the Easter Event is done.

Fun times are coming in a day and a half when we get the "Gain 250 population" quest. I'll have to sell both goods buildings and both barracks to get myself down to +250 pop available, then sell many houses to get PA down to zero-ish and then build new houses to gain 250 pop, and then rebuild the goods buildings for "Gather 20 Goods" later. I may try to re-set the city while I am at it. At least this time, we can can opt out of Acquire and Scout a Province.

Space needle?

It's a Modern Era Happy Coin Great Building.

DeletedUser8152

You can sell one house and build a hut over and over till you hit 250.

qaccy

I wish you had said this a few days ago. I didn't even try for the Wishing Well when it had its day in the Easter Event. In the mid-ages (Colonial and up), it loses a lot of luster but, I can see how it could be helpful at times at the lower ages.

Actually, as goods buildings become more and more expensive as you move through the ages, Wishing Wells only get better and better. I'll take 10 (or 20 unrefined if you're at or above Modern Era) free goods from a 3x3 space that requires no population any day of the week!

qaccy

Space Needle is nearly 2900 coins per hour at level 10...in a city with few houses and no St. Mark's anyway, that's a significant amount of coin production. I suppose it could be argued that St. Mark's is only one extra row of space to fit in, but folks also hate using 1h houses with Mark (and the fact that they require so much attention) and those are what I'm going to be using all the way up in my city. For comparisons, here are the amounts of collections needed to match a level 10 Space Needle, assuming enthusiasm (motivation is tricky to calculate and is not factored in):

40 motel (ME) collections = 70,080
32 duplex (PME) collections = 70,656
25 shophouse (CE) collections = 69,000
231 pod (TE) collections = 69,300
48 self-supporting (FE) collections = 69,120

Motels, duplexes, and shophouses all require at least two buildings to be able to compete with the Needle's production, however you also have to be able to collect for at least half of the day and using three of them will take up more space than the Needle does. Two of any of these houses could fairly easily translate to at least 20 pods, which also requires nearly half the day. However, pods require so many roads that they're not really feasible to use. The Needle's footprint easily fits 4 self-supporting homes, or 6 with an extra bit of roads. What I'm saying here is, the Needle basically provides coin output rivalling standard 1h houses without the need to actually build and collect from them. What remains to be seen is how much population is actually needed for these cities in the higher ages and whether that number allows for the Needle to even be built.

DeletedUser9184

Space Needle is nearly 2900 coins per hour at level 10...in a city with few houses and no St. Mark's anyway, that's a significant amount of coin production. I suppose it could be argued that St. Mark's is only one extra row of space to fit in, but folks also hate using 1h houses with Mark (and the fact that they require so much attention) and those are what I'm going to be using all the way up in my city. For comparisons, here are the amounts of collections needed to match a level 10 Space Needle, assuming enthusiasm (motivation is tricky to calculate and is not factored in):

40 motel (ME) collections = 70,080
32 duplex (PME) collections = 70,656
25 shophouse (CE) collections = 69,000
231 pod (TE) collections = 69,300
48 self-supporting (FE) collections = 69,120

Motels, duplexes, and shophouses all require at least two buildings to be able to compete with the Needle's production, however you also have to be able to collect for at least half of the day and using three of them will take up more space than the Needle does. Two of any of these houses could fairly easily translate to at least 20 pods, which also requires nearly half the day. However, pods require so many roads that they're not really feasible to use. The Needle's footprint easily fits 4 self-supporting homes, or 6 with an extra bit of roads. What I'm saying here is, the Needle basically provides coin output rivalling standard 1h houses without the need to actually build and collect from them. What remains to be seen is how much population is actually needed for these cities in the higher ages and whether that number allows for the Needle to even be built.
1) All 1-days will be motivated regardless of whether it's a small or large city.
2) If we're talking about a normal city, you would factor in St. Marks boost. (If we're talking about the small city see my point #4)
3) Do you really want to compare it to a level 10 Space Needle? One of my points was the amount of FPs required to raise it It costs 3.3K+ FPs to raise it to that level, and that's 2 ages worth of leveling.
4) My other point was that it cost ME goods. Do you know how long it would take a small city to acquire 1750 ME goods? Even if you fit 2 ME goods buildings in your city, it would take a month to gain 1750 ME goods (and this month of gaining ME goods means one month delay in the tech tree).
5) Granted it may be better than normal buildings for awhile, what easily trumps its coins would be the King: 4 motivated ME Kings is all you need to surpass a level 10 SN :eek:

qaccy

1) All 1-days will be motivated regardless of whether it's a small or large city.
2) If we're talking about a normal city, you would factor in St. Marks boost. (If we're talking about the small city see my point #4)
3) Do you really want to compare it to a level 10 Space Needle? One of my points was the amount of FPs required to raise it It costs 3.3K+ FPs to raise it to that level, and that's 2 ages worth of leveling.
4) My other point was that it cost ME goods. Do you know how long it would take a small city to acquire 1750 ME goods? Even if you fit 2 ME goods buildings in your city, it would take a month to gain 1750 ME goods (and this month of gaining ME goods means one month delay in the tech tree).
5) Granted it may be better than normal buildings for awhile, what easily trumps its coins would be the King: 4 motivated ME Kings is all you need to surpass a level 10 SN :eek:

1. 1 day houses provide more population than you need, and would skyrocket happiness requirements as well.
2. This thread is definitely about small cities. :)
3. 2 ages worth of levelling, assuming you want to focus 100% on tech.
4. In my list of other possible viable GBs, I did mention that most of them are probably not useful by the time you're easily able to obtain them. You didn't call out the Dynamic Tower even though that's far more expensive, did you? :p
5. I think there's a decently-long list of event buildings that are better than GBs for producing virtually everything. I mean, you could probably fill your town with Wishing Wells and skip having Babel or the Lighthouse as well. :D

DeletedUser13452

Even without the SMB, your calculating base production for these houses. That's double when motivated, so theoretically, you only need half that amount of houses. As for the short production cycles, I agree there. but the SMB also gives goods, so I'm inclined to go that way myself. It may be that you can't get every house motivated every time as well. In "smallville" cities, it's obvious that that you probably don't want the large footprint of the SMB. I think you just have to remember that building and advancing these cities takes much longer. It has occurred to me that finding just the right combination of GBs might be the answer to playing a "smallville" without using standard buildings at all once you've acquired these GBs I've never taken the time to figure it all out, but at a glance, it seems feasible.