1. Cultural Settlement - Feudal Japan

Arising from the Sengoku period of Feudal Japan, the clan of Akechi Mitsuhide has requested your help.
    As the Daimyo of his village, it is your task to lead the Feudal Japan to prosperity! Detailed information here!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Changelog 1.156

Hello Queens and Kings,
    The update to 1.156 will take place on Wed, July 10, 2019. There will be a short period of downtime during the update, we apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
    For the detailed description of the upcoming changes, please see the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. GvG Improvements

Hello Queens and Kings,
    We'd like to keep you updated on what we're planning to do, as we're about to get started on implementing the following improvements, and would love to hear some community insight into if you feel these additions address some of the fundamental issues GvG faces.
    For the detailed description of the upcoming changes, please see the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Changelog 1.157

Hello Queens and Kings,
    The update to 1.157 will take place on Wed, July 24, 2019. There will be a short period of downtime during the update, we apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Snipers

Discussion in 'Closed / Archived' started by Alexander The Blue, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Alexander The Blue

Alexander The Blue Member

How do I counter them with only being able to produce:
    Riflemen
    Rfcs
    Jaegers
    Armored cars*
    Howitzers

They're simple unkillable, they cover at least 1/3 of the map, take 2 damage at most from infantry, and have wayyyy too much resistance
    *Yes I know armored cars are one of their counters, but the AI kills them before they can kill more than 1 at most

2. cbalto1927

cbalto1927 Active Member

i would fight with tanks, they are slow but they can take more damage than armored cars. Tanks should be able to do 2 kills against snipers. Do you have any attack great buildings? With boosts from GB would help alot. If fighting on the map, i would do 4 tanks and 4 armored car.

3. ByeOrDie

ByeOrDie Well-Known Member

How much boost does your units have compared to them?

4. Alexander The Blue

I didn't list tanks under units I can produce

5. Alexander The Blue

25% vs 30% defense and 34% attack

6. ByeOrDie

ByeOrDie Well-Known Member

Hmm... I'd say it's best to wait until you get tanks. I bet you could beat them with Armored Cars, but it'll be pretty costly

7. jaelis

jaelis Well-Known Member

Gosh at equal boosts I'd have said cars would win pretty handily. Even with the dug in bonus, snipers are at 30 attack/110 defense, while the cars are at 70 atk/90 def. That should take like 6 hits from a sniper to kill a car, right? And like 3 hits from a car to kill a sniper. And after two turns at most you should be close enough to negate dug in, then the sniper's defense drops to 70 and two-hit kills become fairly likely.

@Alexander, how much damage is one sniper hit doing to your car? If you're up for it, record a battle and let us see :)

8. qaccy

qaccy Well-Known Member

When using fast units, especially if you're not using ALL fast units, you don't want to send them charging way ahead of everything else in the first turn. Otherwise, they'll get chewed up by the entire enemy defense and you won't be able to reach the units attacking them until the next turn or possibly even later. Let them hang back on the first turn, so you can keep your entire army more or less clumped together and they can all defend each other much better.

All that being said, the new 1.5 scale you're seeing for the Progressive Era and beyond is not very kind to troops from the Industrial Age and below. I'd recommend waiting until you have access to more Progressive units to make it much easier.

9. Andarl

Andarl Active Member

With a close to equal boost do NOT use autobattle.

10. Glarg

Glarg Well-Known Member

Give 'em something to shoot at while your armored cars get into striking position. If they're protected by other units, draw those units off. The continent AI will go for the nearest non-rogue target they can hit, if they can hit it with combined movement and range. Once they start hitting a target, as long as it remains in range, they'll keep at it.

One possibility is to play peek-a-boo with your jaegers. Put 'em in forest, and then run one out into bushes. Before he's dead, run him back into the forest and present a fresh one.

Otherwise, just wait until you've got PE troops yourself and you can mow everything down with tanks.

11. ardak kumerin

ardak kumerin Well-Known Member

A very satisfying solution that can be used over and over again.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  12. Elisha Reb

Elisha Reb New Member

I am having to shot a sniper with 4 snipers, 2 cannons, and 2 mechanized artillery to kill one sniper.

13. Stephen Longshanks

Stephen Longshanks Forum Moderator

You don't mention what boost you and the opponent have, but just from those units I can tell you that is about right. (Rapid Fire) Cannon and Mechanized Artillery don't have a natural boost against ranged units like the Sniper. In addition, the Cannon (assuming that they are Rapid Fire Cannon) are from the previous age and so will naturally be less effective. I would be willing to bet that your boost isn't sufficiently higher than the opponent, either, since you also used 4 Snipers.

14. lukerduke the wise

lukerduke the wise Member

What I did in the first week or so that I was in progressive was play peekaboo as @Glarg said with jaeger