• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

"Sniping" GB's, No, It's Not Bad

DeletedUser26965

Okay here's the issue for those who may not know. Some people put some forge points(fp's) on a Great Building(GB). Someone else comes along later and puts just enough fp's on it to essentially "lock" first place, this may have the effect of pushing others off the rewards list. Somehow along the way this became known as "sniping". In other words some players feel this is wrong or bad in some way. Me? I don't think it's wrong or bad.

Frankly I think it's silly to consider it a bad thing. A player who puts an fp on a GB has no right to getting first place merely because they happen to place the fp on the GB first. If they put 49% of the fp's on they still have no right to first place if 51% fp's remain. The player who has rights to first place is the first one to put the necessary fp's on to get first place no matter when that occurs. So let us end this silliness by calling such behavior "sniping" and making it out to be a bad or wrong thing to do.

DeletedUser25166

Sniping is when you have 2 hours till collection and someone puts the last 1 or 2 FP's on it. That's sniping, not the drivel you posted

DeletedUser

Sniping is when you have 2 hours till collection and someone puts the last 1 or 2 FP's on it. That's sniping, not the drivel you posted
I would have to respectfully disagree. From every discussion I have seen, both in the Forum and in the game itself, sniping is someone coming in after you've put a lot of FPs on a GB and "sniping" the spot from you with a big donation. You're talking about leveling someone else's GB, which doesn't allow them to double dip. I don't think I've heard a name for that action...at least one I can print here. lol

DeletedUser27889

I have always understood sniping as SJS explained it above, not as the last FP of a building.

While it can be annoying at times having a 1:1 trade with someone only to have someone come in before I lock and dump a ton of points out of nowhere it seems to balance out. By that I mean I love snipers, love. There's nothing better than logging on and seeing someone just dropped 50-100 points on one of my GBs with nothing from return from me.

I also really like adding Iron Age players, they don't have much to spend their FPs on and are on the hunt for BPs so will drop decent amounts in no trade from you, on your buildings.

Since the addition of GBs in the side bar it has been made much easier to go through your contribution list and add what you need to add to lock. There's no more a need to visit each city, each GB you can do it all basically from that window.

DeletedUser27849

From what I have seen in the 2 worlds I am in, most of the time it is something that is going on between the higher level players. It usually the same 2 or players that are doing on each others building. From what I can tell is that what they are really aiming for is the medals and getting their building leveled up, normally on the Traz and ARC. The forge points is a bonus but usually they are just dumping them right back on the buildings. So they are accomplishing 2 things, getting medals for expansions and getting their own building leveled up. For lower level players the best thing is to look at your friends list and see if you see this happening and just sit and watch. I have been very fortunate on 3 separate GB's, I just sat and watch and was able to hit on high level buildings and get the rewards of 3 place for less than if I was chasing them. I was able to complete the buildings prints chasing by doing this two to three times for the buildings I was going after. You need to do this on really high level buildings that will give 3rd and 4th spots a lot of prints.

DeletedUser29055

Here's my take on it ...
- If you don't collect on time, then you have no one to blame but yourself if you get plundered.
- If you don't put enough FP down to get locked in, then you have no one to blame but yourself when you get sniped.

You know, that first one really bothers me. It adds insult to injury. No, the one who steals is the one to blame.

If I were to put this into "real" life, then, of course ,I find it very careless (even reckless) to, let's say, leave your office door open and someone goes in and steals your wallet. Still, the one who STEALS is the one doing wrong, too. Plunder is just a fancy name by which players justify bad behavior and stealing.

Now, this is a game, so I don't really care as much. But to say that only the players who does not collect on time is the one to fault. That bothers me.

Going to the topic about FP - this is different in my opinion. There is no label: First position - belongs to Alvadora. If it were, sniping would be bad behavior. Since there is no way to assign positions to players. You get sniped, you snipe, players get FP, players give FP :) ... all good in my opinion.

DeletedUser13838

You know, that first one really bothers me. It adds insult to injury. No, the one who steals is the one to blame.

If I were to put this into "real" life, then, of course ,I find it very careless (even reckless) to, let's say, leave your office door open and someone goes in and steals your wallet. Still, the one who STEALS is the one doing wrong, too. Plunder is just a fancy name by which players justify bad behavior and stealing.

Now, this is a game, so I don't really care as much. But to say that only the players who does not collect on time is the one to fault. That bothers me.
Why is it any different than another player taking your queen in a game of chess because you carelessly left it unprotected?

DeletedUser

We just had a guildie quit yesterday because guildmates sniped her out of 300 fps worth lol.
See, now that's a whole different issue. Guildmates should never snipe each other. That's just common guild courtesy. Goes against the whole idea of being in a guild. If I found out one of my guild members had sniped another, the sniper would be gone posthaste.

In the same vein, I have had guild members that constantly put up radically unfair trades, and when messaged about it, stated that their guildmates should look after themselves. I hit the eject button quickly on people with that attitude.

DeletedUser29055

Why is it any different than another player taking your queen in a game of chess because you carelessly left it unprotected?

Hmm, I think the difference is the choice. You do not have to plunder. Nobody forces you to do this. In a game of chess, the goal is to remove as many of the other player's pieces until the king is taken. That is the only point of the game.

This game is different at which it is NOT a war game. It has the aspect of war. And the choice is at the player. S/he can aid or s/he can steal.

And - my city is defended. With ritual flames, watchfires, GB, it is not unprotected. The other player actively forces its way into the city and takes a good that belongs to the other player.

I think that's the difference.

My point is that you cannot just say: boooh, you left it there and so I can take it. It's all your fault. None is mine. All your fault ... no, it's a conscious decision to go into a city, overcome a defense army, click on the sabotage button, look for a good buildings, steal from that building. At each of the step, you could play differently.

Ah, but that's actually not the point of this thread. Sorry to deviate. I tihink there are more than enough threads that further discuss this.

DeletedUser27218

See, now that's a whole different issue. Guildmates should never snipe each other. That's just common guild courtesy. Goes against the whole idea of being in a guild. If I found out one of my guild members had sniped another, the sniper would be gone posthaste.

In the same vein, I have had guild members that constantly put up radically unfair trades, and when messaged about it, stated that their guildmates should look after themselves. I hit the eject button quickly on people with that attitude.

I totally agree Stephen

DeletedUser29563

Okay here's the issue for those who may not know. Some people put some forge points(fp's) on a Great Building(GB). Someone else comes along later and puts just enough fp's on it to essentially "lock" first place, this may have the effect of pushing others off the rewards list. Somehow along the way this became known as "sniping". In other words some players feel this is wrong or bad in some way. Me? I don't think it's wrong or bad.

Frankly I think it's silly to consider it a bad thing. A player who puts an fp on a GB has no right to getting first place merely because they happen to place the fp on the GB first. If they put 49% of the fp's on they still have no right to first place if 51% fp's remain. The player who has rights to first place is the first one to put the necessary fp's on to get first place no matter when that occurs. So let us end this silliness by calling such behavior "sniping" and making it out to be a bad or wrong thing to do.
Amen brother...instead of "sniping" lets call it what it is...."winning".

DeletedUser29563

Hmm, I think the difference is the choice. You do not have to plunder. Nobody forces you to do this. In a game of chess, the goal is to remove as many of the other player's pieces until the king is taken. That is the only point of the game.

This game is different at which it is NOT a war game. It has the aspect of war. And the choice is at the player. S/he can aid or s/he can steal.

And - my city is defended. With ritual flames, watchfires, GB, it is not unprotected. The other player actively forces its way into the city and takes a good that belongs to the other player.

I think that's the difference.

My point is that you cannot just say: boooh, you left it there and so I can take it. It's all your fault. None is mine. All your fault ... no, it's a conscious decision to go into a city, overcome a defense army, click on the sabotage button, look for a good buildings, steal from that building. At each of the step, you could play differently.

Ah, but that's actually not the point of this thread. Sorry to deviate. I tihink there are more than enough threads that further discuss this.
I just don't get it at all. The point of playing a game is to escape real life...however briefly..and play a fantasy strategy game..with a fantasy city..with cool buildings that make cool things for use to use..because its fun. It's not reality..there for my moral compass is not needed. There are rules...that must be followed. But plundering is not the sadistic goat gutting devil coming out in players...it is a gaming strategy. This drives me crazy...oh Jesus take the wheel!