• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Sniping guide for new and intermediate players

jsc29

If you are new to the game, or haven't quite mastered all its parts you may find the following guide to sniping useful. Sniping is contributing to GBs in such a way that you make a guaranteed profit. Usually you do this only to your neighbors because in guilds and among friends the practice is to contribute the full amount which is the amount that a player with a level 80 Arc can contribute and break even.

The benefits to sniping are substantial. You get forge points, medals, blueprints and can convert collected forge points into forge point packages. Medals are important, especially for low age campers, because they are one of the few ways to get expansions without doing research. Just to give an example of a typical day in the snipers life, here is my current list of snipes. (Note that you can view your contributed FPs by going to Town Hall / News / Great Buildings):

Position #1 on a Level 17 LOA for 191 FP giving a profit of 37 FP.
Position #1 on a Level 27 Arc for 553 FP giving a profit of 179 FP and 18,584 medals.
Position #5 on a Level 34 CF for 6 FP giving a profit of 4 FP.
Position #2 on a Level 36 Zeus for 177 FP giving a profit of 70 FP.
Position #1 on a Level 15 TOR for 153 FP giving a profit of 75 FP.
Position #1 on a Level 24 CDM for 394 FP giving a profit of 24 FP.

So, my total current pending profit is 389 FP for an investment of 1444 FP. Here are my tips for sniping:

(1) If you have extra forge points in your bar and no really good GB ready for a contribution consider looking through your neighborhood for snipe opportunities. In general, it is better to make a profit with your FPs than to contribute to one of your own GBs.

(2) One of the advantages of aging up is that your neighbors get richer, so that means more sniping opportunities and better sniping opportunities. However, don't age up too fast. If you have a lame, underpowered city you will have a hard time gathering the FPs you need to snipe higher level GBs.

(4) The people that tend to be the best snipe targets are those that play solo (no guild or small guild) and contribute heavily to their own GBs, or those that use swaps. Swaps are very unpredictable and sniping opportunities can just pop up out of the blue on a swapped GB.

(5) Try to get a 10% return on your FP or better, unless you need blueprints or it is a high age GB with a lot of medals. For example, I will contribute to a top spot on a Space Carrier even if it is a break even for me because the number of medals is large. For example, a level 53 Space Carrier position 1 returns over 56,000 medals. By comparison, a level 53 Zeus position 1 only returns about 450 medals.

(6) Getting into a good guild that can get you an early Arc will enormously increase your sniping potential because the Arc gives you more return on your contributions, so it greatly increases the number of GB spots that are profitable for you. Good times to get the Arc are when you are HMA, LMA or Colonial. I advise against getting an Arc before that because the Arc is a big building and cities below HMA are too small to comfortably support an Arc. Of course, if you are planning to camp Iron Age or something, then you have no choice, but be aware you are gimping your game doing that. Once you have an Arc you should prioritize leveling it to 80 and temporarily forget about your other GBs.

(7) If you go inactive for a while, don't snipe immediately when you come back. If you go inactive, you might be put into a neighborhood with other inactive players and if you then contribute to their GBs, those FP could be lost because, well, they are inactive, so they never complete their GBs.

(8) Don't snipe really low level players (below 25,000 prestige) unless you have proof they are active and playing every day. Low level players have high drop out and inactivity rates.

(9) Don't snipe bad buildings like Colosseum. Sooner or later the player will figure out that contributing to these GBs is a waste of resources and you lose your FP when the music stops.

(10) Be cautious about contributing to TORs. A TOR is only really profitable up to about level 5 and once it gets to level 10 it is a money loser because it costs more to level than the player would ever get back by the extra 0.5% or whatever each level gives. So there is no telling when the player might figure this out. Basically you should never risk putting FP on a TOR over level 10. Low level TORS (1-5) are good snipes because they are very profitable so players level them fast.

(11) Be cautious about taking top spot on sweet spot GB. Sweet Spot GBs require no initial contribution from the owner, and they can be snipable as soon as they open. For example, Arcs between about 30 and 60 are in their sweet spot. However, since the owner does not have to make a contribution, they might open the level, but wait a LONG time before they start leveling. You don't want to have 1,000 FP invested in some Frauenkirche of Dresden that the owner decided he is not going to work on for a few months. Its Ok to snipe #1 on sweet spot Arcs because the player has to level it, unless he is quitting the game.

(12) The best snipes are on popular GBs, especially the military ones, because they get leveled fast. So, for example, Arcs, Zeus, CDM, COA, Traz, AO, and CF are the top targets. In low age cities LOAs are good targets. Oracles are good, but only in Bronze age. After that they are worthless and too risky. Be wary of Observatories. They are often snipable because guilds have programs to level up the observatories of their members. This results in FPs being added to Observatories quickly and chaotically. The problem is that once the player is taken off the Obs contibution list, then the leveling abruptly stops, even if the Obs is halfway leveled. So, your contribution could get trapped. Observatories do not directly benefit the player, so it makes them risky snipes.

(13) Watch out for spread levelers, people who spread their FP among a lot of different GBs. There are some players who spread their FP among every GB they have and try to level them all equally. This is really dumb, but nevertheless there are a lot of players out there who do this. They are bad snipe targets because their GBs can take months to level.

(14) Yet another thing to watch out for are fast levelers, players that age up as fast as they can. These are the players in your neighborhood who have an unusually low amount of prestige. They have few GBs because they put all their resources into aging up instead of GB development. The GBs they have tend to be the cheapest. So, for example, you might have some guy in Modern Era with 300k prestige and his GBs are the Oracle of Delphi and the Tower of Babel. Obviously you don't want to try to snipe him.

(15) If you see a potentially good snipe, but are worried that the player might be inactive, one way to check is to plunder them. When you go to sabotage them see how many buildings are available for looting. If few or none of them are, then it means the player is collecting, so they are not inactive. On the other hand if all the buildings are available for looting, then they have not collected, so you might have to watch further. Another way to check is to look at the tavern. If the tavern is full, then the player has not collected, but if it is 10/16 or something like that, then they might be active.

(16) One trick is to put a single FP on a snipe candidate to watch it. I used to do this when I started, but after I started sniping a lot I stopped doing this. The problem with doing this is that first of all it warns the player you are tagetting them. Also, most watched targets never pan out, so you end up watching a lot of losers and missing the good ones. It's better to watch PLAYERS, not GBs. Keep a written list of the good player targets (swappers and solos), and then check them manually whenever you do a sweep. When you write down the candidate's name, write down their neighborhood number too so you can find them quickly.

(17) Take the current contributions into account when deciding on a snipe. It is better to snipe GBs that are far along in the leveling process and have big contributions from the owner, than to snipe GBs that have newly leveled. Be especially wary of GBs that have one big contribution, but not from the player. For example, let's say you see a level 10 Traz and it has 600 FP on it by someone who is not the owner. Ok, sure it is definitely snipable, but it is risky because that 600 is probably from a friend or guild leader or something, or maybe a weird swap of some kind. Either way, the owner may have no stake and no interest in getting the Traz to level 11. For example, he might be working on his Arc, which could take weeks or even months. Right now I have 50 FP on my TT put there by a random player in friend's list for reasons unknown (they want BP maybe?) and I have no immediate plans to level my TT, so it could be a couple of months before anything happens on it.

(18) In case of a tie, priority on the contribution reward goes to the player who reached the point of the tie first, not the first contributor. For example, let's say you put 1 FP on a GB and you are the first contributor. Later 4th is the last place available and there is somebody on 4th with 10 and only 9 left total. If you add those 9, you will LOSE, because even though your 1 FP was first, the other player reached 10 first, so they win the tie.

There are some real subtleties to sniping and the math and mind games can get pretty complex, however, the points above should be enough to get you started on your sniping career. Good luck.

Last edited:

Tony 85 the Generous

I am not a sniper. I tried it, successfully, but felt it was not for me. (I felt it was morally a dead end) . Basically it is robbing others, even when they are too foolish to realize it and some even thank you for robbing them LOL
But it is also just a game. So really no one lost anything real. I realize that, but my heart is just not into it. However I have no problem with others robbing anyone blind in the game. Thus I offer the sort of mention of a site that might be useful to steal tons of FPs off sometimes willing victims. Best of luck.
I have noticed that in new cities at low age, there are many players that self-level and more often than not are thankful for the fp and help leveling their gb. In those cases you get to snipe and help with no moral dead ends. Beyond the lower ages I find too few snipes to make the time looking better spent doing other things (completing GE, rebuilding city to make more fp/day, etc.)

jsc29

Just as an illustration of the sniping opportunities that occur when people swap their GBs, here is one from tonight. The reward I get for first on this is 798 Forge Points; that's a profit of 418 FP on one snipe. This is what can happen when you use swaps.

screenshot-Wed Dec 16 08:53:45 PM EST 2020.png

Tony 85 the Generous

Just as an illustration of the sniping opportunities that occur when people swap their GBs, here is one from tonight. The reward I get for first on this is 798 Forge Points; that's a profit of 418 FP on one snipe. This is what can happen when you use swaps.
Yes it is. I encourage as many as I can to go the 1.9 route. It is the cheapest way for the owner to level and (when done properly) sniper-proof. Only the slim time for P1-2 (sometimes 3) is at risk for the owner. For the contributor(s), each spot is locked an guaranteed. If you are young player with minimal fp, then you aren't looking to claim and lock the expensive P1-2 spots anyway so locking P4 gets you some bps and bank and P5 gets you bps (nothing banked).

Algona

Did I miss it or does this Guide not mention how or why a player should lock the spot they are attempting to snipe?

Or is this another Guide for new players that know how to play?

I encourage as many as I can to go the 1.9 route. It is the cheapest way for the owner to level and (when done properly) sniper-proof.

Agreed. At times.

Unfortunately I see folk 1.9img lvl 5 GBs.

There are more profitable methods then 1.Xing to handle GBs in certain parts of their Reward curve.

Happily the nature of the Reward curves for GBs are susceptible to exact mathematical manipulation.

Not a lot of folk have bothered with that sort of analysis.

The key is understanding the relationship between the Reward slots and where the GB is on it's Reward curve.

In lay terms 1.Xing is not the most profitable method at lowest levels, becomes the most profitable 'near' the 'sweet spot', then is not the most profitable method for a while, then becomes the most profitable method again.

This is sloppy, it is words trying to describe a mathematical concept. But even in words, the implications are there, you should be looking for alternatives to 1.9ing for before and after 'near' the 'sweet spot'. Doing the mathematical analysis makes clear the best alternatives and the exact levels to use them.

That folk don't look at those relationships is a very good thing for snipers, because sniping can only occur due to other players making mistakes in bidding or prepping their GB to be bid on.

If everyone understood the basic tenet of GB contributions (if it ain't locked, it ain't owned) sniping would never occur.

As far as discussions of alternate bidding techniques for before and after GB sweet spots, there are posts about such scattered all over this forum.

Tony 85 the Generous

Agreed. At times.

There are more profitable methods then 1.Xing to handle GBs in certain parts of their Reward curve.

Happily the nature of the Reward curves for GBs are susceptible to exact mathematical manipulation.

Not a lot of folk have bothered with that sort of analysis.

The key is understanding the relationship between the Reward slots and where the GB is on it's Reward curve.

In lay terms 1.Xing is not the most profitable method at lowest levels, becomes the most profitable 'near' the 'sweet spot', then is not the most profitable method for a while, then becomes the most profitable method again.

This is sloppy, it is words trying to describe a mathematical concept. But even in words, the implications are there, you should be looking for alternatives to 1.9ing for before and after 'near' the 'sweet spot'. Doing the mathematical analysis makes clear the best alternatives and the exact levels to use them.
I have not found a less expensive way to level a gb than 1.9 thread. Unless you have access to 1.92 or 1.95, but we are talking techniques and/or methods, not the exact 1.x thread value.

As for having multiple gbs in a 1.9 thread, this is either due to poor focus on the players part or more likely due to the speed of the 1.9 thread combined the amount of fp from their collection and the cost to lock spots on their gbs. For example, If you collect 300fp in a single daily collection, have a slow moving 1.9 thread (slow as in more than several minutes or more between posts), and the spot on your gb is less than 100 or so (because the bar is limited to 100fp), what do you do? Answer, open a second or third gb. Five gbs seems extreme and probably case 1 (poor focus and spending habits) than high collection amount and low cost.

Could you expand on whom is profitting when you say
1.Xing is not the most profitable method at lowest levels, becomes the most profitable 'near' the 'sweet spot', then is not the most profitable method for a while, then becomes the most profitable method again.
At 1.9 with a L80 arc, there is not fp profit for the contributor. It is a break even on fp while pocketing bps and medals.

Last edited:

Vger

Really? They wait that long?
I usually go from Stix 2 Brix thread, to 1.9, to the level it for cheap BP's thread in a few hours.
Why is that a bad thing? No spreadsheets allowed. I get that maybe it might cost me X FPs for the convenience.
Is X big enough to even care about anymore?

Algona

Could you expand on whom is profitting when you say

Why is that a bad thing?

As far as discussions of alternate bidding techniques for before and after GB sweet spots, there are posts about such scattered all over this forum.

Happy to do so in another thread. I didn't want to take this one further off topic.

EDIT: I'll start anther thread in Questions on this that you guys can chew up.

The last point on topic was:

Did I miss it or does this Guide not mention how or why a player should lock the spot they are attempting to snipe?

Last edited:

Tony 85 the Generous

View attachment 18030
I was just thinking on sniping gbs from swap threads and the impact on the owner. First the basic cost to the owner when using 1.9 and fp swap threads.

In a 1.9 thread, the owner must contribute the total to level minus the sum of 1.9 time the rewards of the spots. In short simple terms, a lot less than 100% of the fp to level.

In a swap thread, the owner contributes to another gb in exchange for someone else contributing that same amount to their gb. This means the owner will contribute 100% of the fp to level their gb, they just make the contributions to other gbs instead of their own.

In the case of the picture posted. Assume the owner has been using a swap thread so far, that gb will cost and cost the owner 1534fp level. Because jsc29 sniped P1 for 380, that actually reduced the owners cost to level from 1534 to 1154. Though jsc29 will make 418fp, the owner actually saved 380fp on this level. So sniping a gb from a fp swap thread is a good thing for the owner? :eek::rolleyes: There's something I never expected to say.

Vger

I was just thinking on sniping gbs from swap threads and the impact on the owner.
That is probably the wrong way to think about it, unless your goal is to minimize your cost at the expense of your guildmates.
jsc made a profit. Good for him.
The owner made a 'profit' because of jsc's snipe.
The others that contributed to the swap? They didn't make out as well as they might have expected, right?
If you only think about "the impact on the owner", then yes, you can game it to your advantage to minimize your cost. As long as you and your guild are OK with that strategy, then all is good. Some guilds frown on that.

Tony 85 the Generous

That is probably the wrong way to think about it, unless your goal is to minimize your cost at the expense of your guildmates.
jsc made a profit. Good for him.
The owner made a 'profit' because of jsc's snipe.
The others that contributed to the swap? They didn't make out as well as they might have expected, right?
If you only think about "the impact on the owner", then yes, you can game it to your advantage to minimize your cost. As long as you and your guild are OK with that strategy, then all is good. Some guilds frown on that.
The owner is the that sets up or prevents a gb from being sniped.
I'm just noting that this and similar snipes, and sniping from fp swaps doesn't cost the owner more (sniping from a 1.9 thread does raise the owner's cost).
I don't know of any guild where sniping a guild mate is permitted or allowed. Therefore all snipes are perpetrated by outsiders. As an outsider, you can only make an educated guess as to how it is being leveled.
As for the other contributors, they did lose out on the rewards. Most spots in fp swaps cost more than 1.9 spots. The loss is relative.

UBERhelp1

I do have to agree with Algona. This is more for semi-advanced players, definitely not new to intermediate players. New players won't understand half of what is said, and it is more about what to look for when sniping than actually how to snipe.

Also, there are some things that I disagree with in this numbered list of tips. See below.
(2) The higher you go in ages, the more knowledgeable players get. Go too far and you will find very little snipe-able GB, other than those going through the sweet spot, and those level quickly.​
(3) You skip three. Thought no one would notice?​
(5) Medals are useless after a point. You shouldn't snipe to get medals. The FP are your focus, and MAYBE the prints, but that's a big maybe.​
(15) Putting 1 FP on a GB allows you to place FP on it even after the person is no longer in your hood, guild, or friend lists. I think that would be a helpful tip to know if I was looking for a sniping guide.​
Finally, there are things that are left out. Sniping helps you, but it helps only you. Sniping can burn bridges with other players, get you kicked out of guilds, and make people generally hate you. For me at least, when someone snipes me I tend to either a) snipe them back/flip their GB to deny them the double dip, b) plunder them, or c) both. And I tell my guildies to watch out for them and to plunder them when possible. You can of course play the game like that, but if you want people to like you and be nice to you, sniping is not the way to go about it.

Tbill

I find, if i am not sure, a quick message to the owner will clarify whether to put them in or not. It tends to end well for me and them this way. Sometimes they say if i am going to put in FP what the spot will normally go for to not hurt what they're doing and i gain an ally in the process. Communication is the key.

WendyEJ

Stats are part of the site. there you can check player stats. Got to World and then Player. just type in the name of the player. you get stats. and graphs . So you have a clear visual of is that player is active or it is a dead spot.
That is awesome info for a fairly new person Thanks Gives me a chance to check who is active or not

jsc29

I do have to agree with Algona. This is more for semi-advanced players, definitely not new to intermediate players. New players won't understand half of what is said, and it is more about what to look for when sniping than actually how to snipe.

Also, there are some things that I disagree with in this numbered list of tips. See below.
(2) The higher you go in ages, the more knowledgeable players get. Go too far and you will find very little snipe-able GB, other than those going through the sweet spot, and those level quickly.​
(3) You skip three. Thought no one would notice?​
(5) Medals are useless after a point. You shouldn't snipe to get medals. The FP are your focus, and MAYBE the prints, but that's a big maybe.​
(15) Putting 1 FP on a GB allows you to place FP on it even after the person is no longer in your hood, guild, or friend lists. I think that would be a helpful tip to know if I was looking for a sniping guide.​
Finally, there are things that are left out. Sniping helps you, but it helps only you. Sniping can burn bridges with other players, get you kicked out of guilds, and make people generally hate you. For me at least, when someone snipes me I tend to either a) snipe them back/flip their GB to deny them the double dip, b) plunder them, or c) both. And I tell my guildies to watch out for them and to plunder them when possible. You can of course play the game like that, but if you want people to like you and be nice to you, sniping is not the way to go about it.

I did not skip #3. Item #3 on my list was how to snipe. A moderator edited my post and deleted paragraph 3 from it.

Pericles the Lion

I just watched this vid.
Can someone explain to me how team sniping is done exactly?
Normally, the 1st sniper locks a spot for 50% of the remaining FPs needed to level the GB and a 2nd sniper locks for 50% of what's left - for a total of 75% of the original amount needed to level. Team sniping (or "third sniping") is when two snipers collude, each locking spots by adding 1/3 of the amount needed to level - for a total of 2/3 of the original amount needed to level. One sniper profits, the other loses but is reimbursed by his partner. The cost to the GB owner is greater than getting sniped "normally".