• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Sniping. How to avoid getting sniped.

So sorry, I don't know what 1.9 is. I did see it somewhere over the past few days but I think it was something that didn't yet pertain to me, so I didn't investigate. But I THINK I get your drift. Now that I'm in IA I can contrib to others' GBs and I was just looking around to see what it was all about. And I was thinking, it looks like there are rewards, so if you went and donated towards the end you increase your chances of gaining the rewards? Is that what you're talking about? Like you could donate a very sm amt and the reward is greater?

Ebeondi Asi

So sorry, I don't know what 1.9 is. I did see it somewhere over the past few days but I think it was something that didn't yet pertain to me, so I didn't investigate. But I THINK I get your drift. Now that I'm in IA I can contrib to others' GBs and I was just looking around to see what it was all about. And I was thinking, it looks like there are rewards, so if you went and donated towards the end you increase your chances of gaining the rewards? Is that what you're talking about? Like you could donate a very sm amt and the reward is greater?

New players do seem a bit mystified by 1.9 talk. The basis of "1.9" is entirely based on the Great Building Arc.
All GreatBuldings give reweards to the players with the hightest positions in cascading order down by total Forge Points placed in the Building. The top positions win Forge Points back, plus blueprints and Medals. So donors used to jockey to be the top donor that wins a spot in swaps. Then Arc arrived and changed the game. Since the Arc leveled up increases the rewards given back for Great Buildings.
The Arc has several noted levels taht players talk about.
Level 60 is 1.8 times the base reward
Level 70 is 1.85 times the base reward.
And level 80 (the most popular) is 1.9 times the base reward of a Great Building payout.
This 1.9 has become a standard in Foe play for putting Forge Points on Great Buildings
In high level Guilds there may be higher levels 1.92 etc up to 2.0 (which is level 180)
.++++
And yes the trick of placing less than the amount and still successfully winning the spot is a big thing ... called sniping.

Last edited:
New players do seem a bit mystified by 1.9 talk. The basis of "1.9" is entirely based on the Great Building Arc.
All GreatBuldings give reweards to the players with the hightest positions in cacading order down by total Forge Points placed in the Building. The top positions win Forge Points back, plus blueprints and Medals. So donors used to jockey to be the top donor that wins a spot in swaps. Then Arc arrived and changed the game. Since the Arc leveled up increases the rewards given back for Great Buildings.
The Arc has several noted levels taht players talk about.
Level 60 is 1.8 times the base reward
Level 70 is 1.85 times the base reward.
And level 80 9the most popular) is 1.9 times the base reward of a Great Building payout.
This 1.9 has become a standard in Foe play for putting Forge Points on Great Buildings
.++++
And yes the trick of placing less than the amount and still successfully winning the spot is a big thing ... called sniping.

OK, I think I got most of it. Thanks for answering!

Johnny B. Goode

OK, I think I got most of it. Thanks for answering!
Sniping is actually the wrong word for what most players mean when they say it. They use it to refer to some imaginary loss by a GB owner (who gets no rewards from donations to his own GBs) when someone they don't want getting a reward gets one, or someone gets more rewards from donating to a GB than the "accepted" fair amount. The word they should be using instead of sniping is "unsolicited" donations. That covers pretty much everything they're talking about when they incorrectly use "sniping".

Actual sniping is a term from way back before the Arc GB was around. Back when guilds would rely heavily on FP swap threads to level up each other's GBs and share in the rewards. Often, an outside player (from someone's neighborhood, or a rogue friend) would swoop in and "snipe" a reward spot from one of the guild members, usually at a profit (but not always). That was sniping. Doesn't really happen as much now because guilds don't rely nearly as much on the swap threads.

When the Arc GB and the concept of 1.9 came into being (a player construct, by the way), players with no imagination just kept using that term because it was easier than figuring out one that really described what was happening.

Ebeondi Asi

that is cute JBG. The old meaning is exactly the same now as you describe, .. updated. Moved to a slightly different set of conditions that coincidentally matches current reality.
Word meanings grow and change.
The negative way it changed (which I agree with you on) is that the meaning (probably because players did not understand it very well) has been stretched to mean any unsolicited FPs added.

Johnny B. Goode

that is cute JBG. The old meaning is exactly the same now as you describe, .. updated. Moved to a slightly different set of conditions that coincidentally matches current reality.
Word meanings grow and change.
The negative way it changed (which I agree with you on) is that the meaning (probably because players did not understand it very well) has been stretched to mean any unsolicited FPs added.
No, it's not really the same at all, because the original term referred to actively taking a spot from someone who had already been donating to the GB and had very little, if anything, to do with the GB owner. What people call sniping now is almost completely independent of other players donating, and includes the mythical loss to the GB owner.

Jackshat

I'm a slot "poacher". I'm a slot anti-poacher.

But, if some fantastically lucky poacher manages to snag a slot despite my anti-poaching measures, I'll congratulate him/her and step up my game!

And, at times, I just open an Arc level to first come-first serve.

If a slot is unprotected, it's in my hood, and I can score a profit, it's getting poached.

If I don't protect a slot intended for another, I deserve to get poached.

No complaints either way.

Sharmon the Impaler

My criteria is must not have 16/16 tavern , a special event main building less than 4 events old. Must have at least 300 FP on the GB themselves. After this I don't really care when I get it back and I work with a bank of between 30 and 70K just for sniping. Holding your GB for a few weeks or months only hurts you.

sometimes I have found someone "sniping" helpfull my suild rule is that if you are sniped they will still fill it in thier 1.9 thead and they just take off that amout from the total of P1 and P2 enough to make it even and still get the rewards

Altercus

Sniping is actually the wrong word for what most players mean when they say it. They use it to refer to some imaginary loss by a GB owner (who gets no rewards from donations to his own GBs) when someone they don't want getting a reward gets one, or someone gets more rewards from donating to a GB than the "accepted" fair amount.

If you use a 1.9 or higher lock thread and someone locks a spot for less which causes you to pay more FP to level than you otherwise would have then the loss isn't imaginary at all. Perhaps this isn't what you're talking about but it sure sounds like it is. Since this is a hostile action I don't see the problem with using the term 'sniping' to describe it.