• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Sniping Progress

Bruadhin

Im an early player. What is Sniping? I do contribute FP directly to some players GBs in order to get in line for BPs. Is that Sniping?

In its broadest definition, it is taking a reward spot on a GB for less than 1.9 times the FP reward. A level 80 Arc gives a 90% bonus to the rewards from helping level someone else's GB.

While you can snipe with a lower level Arc, I did, it is harder to find spots that pay more FP than is required to lock the spot. When we say lock, that is when no one else can put in enough FP to pass you and take the reward spot away from you.

RazorbackPirate

Can I get a FR on Rugnir then?

I find the people who get the most pissy about it are the same ones that also massively overprimed their GB before putting it in a 1.X thread. Swappers don't seem to care at all.
I had over primed it. Starting to lock for 3rd. No big deal.

RazorbackPirate

I assumed as much from your comment.

I also find the Arc is also the GB most likely to upset people.
In 2 worlds all 80 levels, I got sniped twice. I was more careful because I cared more. While I always hate to lose any, they'll be a few hundred more tomorrow and the day after, and the day after that ...

Salsuero

In its broadest definition, it is taking a reward spot on a GB for less than 1.9 times the FP reward. A level 80 Arc gives a 90% bonus to the rewards from helping level someone else's GB.

Hmmm. I never really thought of it that way. I simply thought of it as jumping over someone to lock a spot they were working on for themselves, regardless of %. Interesting to see someone refine the definition to narrowly consider it in terms of an Arc bonus. Based on my definition, I used to snipe when my Arc wasn't even built. I could still find spots to profit on that were not locked by others... and sometimes I would overpay just to get the prints. Sniping wasn't ever something specific to the Arc before I had one or before it was at level 80, so it never occurred to me that it would be specific to the Arc once I did.

DeletedUser

Hmmm. I never really thought of it that way. I simply thought of it as jumping over someone to lock a spot they were working on for themselves, regardless of %. Interesting to see someone refine the definition to narrowly consider it in terms of an Arc bonus. Based on my definition, I used to snipe when my Arc wasn't even built. I could still find spots to profit on that were not locked by others... and sometimes I would overpay just to get the prints. Sniping wasn't ever something specific to the Arc before I had one or before it was at level 80, so it never occurred to me that it would be specific to the Arc once I did.
It really isn't specific to the Arc at all. The Arc has become associated with sniping because it makes it more lucrative, but sniping exists regardless of the existence of the Arc. It predates the Arc and would continue even if the Arc were to disappear from the game.

aghiv

Can I get a FR on Rugnir then?

I find the people who get the most pissy about it are the same ones that also massively overprimed their GB before putting it in a 1.X thread. Swappers don't seem to care at all.
Why would a someone leveling in a swap thread care? From their perspective, it's all just free fps.

aghiv

I assumed as much from your comment.

I also find the Arc is also the GB most likely to upset people.
Yes, I think the Arc is the most sniped building in the game. A lot of people are in a rush to get the Arc up to 80, and it has one of the most lucrative 'profit zones' in the game, so the difference between a soft lock and full 1.9 is very significant, especially in the 40s and 50s levels.

Jern2017

It really isn't specific to the Arc at all. The Arc has become associated with sniping because it makes it more lucrative, but sniping exists regardless of the existence of the Arc. It predates the Arc and would continue even if the Arc were to disappear from the game.

In my definition, sniping is when you put less FP than the reward for that spot is and lock yourself in. I agree - while the Arc certainly boosts your rewards, it is still profitable if you snipe while not having one. I occassionally do it on my diamond farm world.

Bruadhin

You don't have to have an Arc to snipe, it just makes it more profitable. I referenced 1.9 because many people and guilds consider that the nominal cost of a reward spot.

Ultimately it all seems rather subjective.

Bruadhin

Yes, I think the Arc is the most sniped building in the game. A lot of people are in a rush to get the Arc up to 80, and it has one of the most lucrative 'profit zones' in the game, so the difference between a soft lock and full 1.9 is very significant, especially in the 40s and 50s levels.

Probably, and many people leveling it don't have a huge FP production yet. I know I didn't and I had to rely on sniping to still be able to level it quickly for the last few levels.

Bruadhin

And then I get this...

Hi Bud, You shouldn't be snipping friends. Wondered if you might be interested in the 3rd spot on my Arc in a 1.85 Thread.You'll fell a lot better when doing it that way.

I don't know though, I feel pretty good as is.

Bruadhin

Oh what fun sniping can be. Had to remind someone that I can do so much more damage with a good snipe than he can when plundering.

DeletedUser40491

one standing rule we have: if it's not locked, its not yours. if you can snipe it, take it. if you can be sniped, expect it. in guild/friends/hood...whatever. (far better to be sniped in guild than lost to the hood) So many ways to manage gb's to make them practically impervious to profit snipers and it is those techniques we focus on sharing/teaching. Sure, always someone with more points than sense and willing to spend at a loss to satisfy a need. it happens, oh well. thank them for the generous, more than you'd have gained otherwise, contribution and move on. For friends i keep it simple. you message me with a lockable spot and request...i'll give at 1.8/1.85/1.9 situational dependent...but if i take my time to go looking for investment opportunity, i'm going for profit.
I've experienced 4 Worlds & over 40 Guilds where the above sentiments are practiced. Obviously, I'm more generous to Guildies, freely Investing around 185% of awarded FPs. This helps the Guild which comes back to help every member including me.

DeletedUser40491

The 1.8/1.85/1.9 threads are really just an emergent gameplay against high end sniping. An active enough group usually fills those spots up fast so there isn't a lot of sniping going on, and players usually know these days to prime the GB first where needed.
MY Private Contribution threads leave Award Placements open to allow for Snipers.