• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Sniping

Very new to game and have been perusing the forum a bit, seen the term "sniping". Not sure what it means, could someone clarify.

Ok, thanks. I am definitely guilty of that, but I really don't see how small fry like me get into the big fishes circles to be invited.

RazorbackPirate

Ok, thanks. I am definitely guilty of that, but I really don't see how small fry like me get into the big fishes circles to be invited.
By being a small fry who snipes for profit and building your city faster than the rest. Work on making your city something to be proud of and good guilds will notice when you apply.

That, and an Arc headed toward level 80.

sniping officially is the act of illicitly placing Forge Points on another person's Great Building in such a manner that the owner cannot challenge your placement IE the placement is "locked", and that placement causes the Great Building owner to lose Forge Points (in relation to what the owner might have gotten in the position from a 1.9 reward placement.
The practical use of the term snipe has been stretched to include any unwanted forge points. Even if the person placing them paid more than 1.9+ for the position. All that is needed to use the term was the person was not invited.

Generally a sniper depends on the carelessness of GB owners to be successful. There are a also people who attempt to snipe and who seem to have no idea what is needed to be successful and thus can be kicked off the position with a little help..
I was witness to that a couple days ago on an Alcatraz GB, some guy through up enough forge points to where no one could challenge him without leveling the building.

Dominator - X

Personally, I love it when anyone contributes to my GB's. Saves me FP's and levels them up faster. If they get a profit out of it, we both benefit.
The only difference is, do you want to pay 1000 FPs to level your GB or much less*? Personally, I want to pay as little of my own FPs as possible to level it. Just allowing others to lock spots without getting a premium from them does not save you FPs. It costs you more to level it.

*Numbers above are for illustrative use only.

wolfhoundtoo

I see nothing wrong with sniping but any claim that you are 'helping' a player is making the assumption that they would of self leveled the GB without any assistance from others. In some cases that is true but in the most cases (at least if they are in even a halfway decent guild) that's simply not the case. No need to pretend you are assisting when you are simply trying to get forge points for yourself (while I don't see anything wrong with this it does make me wonder if those that claim to be 'helping' are fibbing to themselves a bit).

wolfhoundtoo

I'm sure there are some but i'm afraid I don't really believe anyone saying how much they were 'helping' the other player found many of those. Perhaps it's the cynic in me. :(

wolfhoundtoo

Funny thing I go around and snipe my hood when i can...........some in a guild and some not in a guild. At no point do I think i'm helping the player when I lock a position (even when I lock it for more than it would cost me). Why? Because in the end I wanted more fps and doing what I did got me more fps. Even giving them more than I had to has resulted in them messaging me to take spots on their GBs.

So perhaps I'm underestimating the number of players out there that don't have anyone to contribute to their GBs but that still doesn't mean snipers are 'helping' anyone. If you make nothing on locking the position then sure you can say that otherwise you are helping yourself 1st, 2nd and no doubt 3rd. The benefit to the other player is simply a requirement for the sniper to get the fps.

Graviton

I don't see how sniping is any more or less a transgression than plundering. Odd that one would be considered crossing some moral line but the other is not.

I see nothing wrong with sniping but any claim that you are 'helping' a player is making the assumption that they would of self leveled the GB without any assistance from others. In some cases that is true but in the most cases (at least if they are in even a halfway decent guild) that's simply not the case. No need to pretend you are assisting when you are simply trying to get forge points for yourself (while I don't see anything wrong with this it does make me wonder if those that claim to be 'helping' are fibbing to themselves a bit).

Agreed completely. I don't snipe all the time but I do when I need more prints. I never think I'm helping anybody but myself.

Johnny B. Goode

sniping officially is the act of illicitly placing Forge Points on another person's Great Building in such a manner that the owner cannot challenge your placement IE the placement is "locked", and that placement causes the Great Building owner to lose Forge Points (in relation to what the owner might have gotten in the position from a 1.9 reward placement.
The practical use of the term snipe has been stretched to include any unwanted forge points. Even if the person placing them paid more than 1.9+ for the position. All that is needed to use the term was the person was not invited.

Generally a sniper depends on the carelessness of GB owners to be successful. There are a also people who attempt to snipe and who seem to have no idea what is needed to be successful and thus can be kicked off the position with a little help..
About the only thing correct in this whole post is the fact that the successful "sniper" has locked his placement.

Things incorrect include the notion that there is any way to "illicitly" put Forge Points on another person's GB, and the notion that you are costing the owner anything by doing it (because the owner cannot get rewards from his own GBs). You will take rewards that they may have wanted to go to someone else, but those rewards are guaranteed to no one unless/until the spot is locked. Some people think that if you lock placement at lower than 1.9x that spot's FP reward, you are costing the owner FPs. This is nonsense. It is born out of the notion that anyone is "entitled" to all donations being equal to that of a level 80 Arc owner. Hogwash. I laugh at any player who demands I up my donation to 1.9. Of course, if you level a GB that has a resource bonus for the owner, then you keep them from double dipping, but you can do that without it being a snipe.

Additionally, sniping is not "any unwanted Forge Points". If someone puts unwanted Forge Points on a GB, but does not lock his placement, it is not a snipe.

Dedicated snipers also do not depend on the carelessness of GB owners to be successful, they rely on studying their neighbors and timing.

Last edited: