• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Sniping

MaryTheBold

I have been playing this game for 6+ years. If anyone called you a sniper for putting one Forge Point on a Great Building, then you should ignore them, they're an idiot. Sniping is taking a spot from someone who hasn't put enough on to lock the spot they desire. By definition, that excludes your 1 Forge Point contribution. For example, if a Great Building needed 200 Forge Points for the next level, and someone put 99 on there and then you put 100 on there, you would have sniped them. All this other garbage has to do with the Arc Great Building and the 1.9 nonsense and has nothing to do with actual sniping.
In situations if one does get sniped at the amount other than expected, it's because the owner of said GB didn't do the numbers so allowed it to happen. Live and learn. Deal with it. Strategy is learning how to make it difficult to happen.

All said, have made the mistake and have also been able to talk enough crap and get the desired result and amts demanded. When unable I eat it or try to steal it back, either way, it's part of the game. Keeps it interesting. Certainly fun.

Last edited:

MaryTheBold

I don't see how sniping is any more or less a transgression than plundering. Odd that one would be considered crossing some moral line but the other is not.

Agreed completely. I don't snipe all the time but I do when I need more prints. I never think I'm helping anybody but myself.

Sniping is a good strategy to increase resources quicker. It's part of the game. There are ways to avoid snipers; doing the math in most cases, and not overloading/priming your gb, which is what, in fact, provides the opportunity to get sniped... having some leeway makes an interloper pay more if they are determined to have an insured position and/or, if not secured, gives the owner a possible opportunity of getting a bunch of free fps by pushing them down. Math matters. Variables, certainly workable in a capable and supportive guild if one's intent or having good/supportive friends with resources to back you.

If one's intent are guild donations, having a 2nd gb, to place extra fps, and plan to work next, is a strategy I use to not over prime, to reduce snip ops and also get a good start on the 2nd GB, is placing my extra on it. Always variables. Many ways to skin a cat.

Last edited:

DevaCat

What cracks me up is how totally out of touch with newbies many people on this forum seem to be. The original poster said: " Very new to game and have been perusing the forum a bit, seen the term "sniping". Not sure what it means, could someone clarify. " The key point is 'VERY NEW" and pages of answers about GB's, ARC's, 1.9, Locking, etc. None of those topics has anything to to with a newbie. We won't see an ARC for months if not longer, We never heard of a
GB or an FP. Try searching those terms on the forum... can't do it. 'too many results'.
I spent days trying to understand the gibberish, only to find out, it has NOTHING to do with me. Ya'll can talk down to us all you like, but it only makes us not want to bother. Someone who is very new to the game has 0 reason to use your 1.9 math on GB upgrades. There is NO benefit to him. He has 20 or so FP a day to use on research and occasionally adding to his GB, or on occasion place on another GB hoping to catch some medals or a blueprint. I understand that next year, maybe I will have a level 80 ARC, and for sure there is a whole new discussion when that happens.
I searched this forum for topics for newbies, and in EVERY case the discussion was taken over by folks that have totally forgotten what life was like before they learned their new language.
I almost wish the forum had different areas where only newbies could go and actually learn what they need to know NOW, not what they might need to learn if they play for 5 years.
I myself have only been playing this game for 16 days. I am just getting my first GB to level 3. I was called a sniper because I put one FP on someone's GB that was in my neighborhood. They had 27 GB's Most were over level 60 some nearer 100. I am CERTAIN my 1 FP didn't take anything away from anyone. I had just seen that quite a few upgrades were done and no one took the 4th or 5th slot before it was completed, to me that is a waste of free resources, and if my one point caught one of those, the reward would change my game considerably.
Folks, try to remember where you came from and either ignore, or talk to the newbies with the understanding that we know NOTHING. How hard is it to say Forge Points, or Great Buildings when answering a newbie. Give us time, we will learn.
A player with the great buildings you described could be quite sensitive to some unknown hoodie putting a single forge point on any of his GBs. This is because a sniper will place a single “tracking” forge point on a gb which makes it possible for him to continue monitoring the gb even after he rotates into a different neighborhood. Then, when/if the opportunity presents itself he makes his move. Hence you being called a sniper.

A building owner is not a mind reader - he has no clue as to your intent. Far better to just message her and ask (nicely) if you can take a p5 (reward position #5) on her building - people are often glad to help.

Now as for the rest of it, the thread topic is “sniping” not “newbies”. All the discussion about Arc 80, 1.9, locking etc is because those items are involved in one aspect of sniping. The question was about sniping; it does not matter when/if you yourself build and level an Arc or join a 1.9 leveling thread. All that discussion you disdain does however contain clues as to why some players might not appreciate your blundering about hoping for bps and medals. And abbreviations are being used for a reason — I am tapping out this response one character at a time, think I’m going to stop using them just because someone thinks he’s being talked down to?

As for a gb being leveled with low level spots still untaken? Maybe the owner had a bunch of fps to spend and was in a hurry to get working on the next level, and in his guild no one needs medals? Who knows.. but agreed that’s a waste, and a case where it would pay off to just ask.

Welcome to the forum

MaryTheBold

It doesn't. They think it does because they think that any donations to their GBs should be at the 1.9 ratio. (1.9 times the normal FP reward for the spot.) This is because of the prevalence of level 80 Arcs, which give 1.9 times all GB donation rewards. No one is in any way obligated to give that much, if they can lock a spot for less, but some players get really upset if you lock a spot on one of their GBs at less than that rate. I usually laugh and either ignore them or tell them they can go jump in a lake. LOL
It hurts by costing them more fps to level their GB, certainly if less than they'd get on a guild swap thread.

MaryTheBold

I agree with your opinion in parts, with all respect, however it does cost the owner but it's because they made the situation possible for those who do utilize those types of errors as part of their strategy to grow faster and build up their resources cheaper and quicker. Adding too many fps w/o a strategy or reliable support systems opens the door, especially for players that look for situations like that as a part of their game. When I over place, bottom line accept is as my error although do try to bulldog, bluff and plunder as necessary to get the sniper into paying up. Sometimes I win and sometimes I lose. Certainly fun trying.

As for a gb being leveled with low level spots still untaken? Maybe the owner had a bunch of fps to spend and was in a hurry to get working on the next level, and in his guild no one needs medals? Who knows.. but agreed that’s a waste, and a case where it would pay off to just ask.

Welcome to the forum

On the other hand, I took the time before levelling a building to offer unoccupied spots to friends. While I was waiting for a reply, a sniper not only edged everybody else out for the #1 spot, but levelled the building on me. So now I don't take the time. I just go ahead and level it when I am ready.