• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Sniping

Johnny B. Goode

I would also like to know how does this hurt the owner of the GB?
It doesn't. They think it does because they think that any donations to their GBs should be at the 1.9 ratio. (1.9 times the normal FP reward for the spot.) This is because of the prevalence of level 80 Arcs, which give 1.9 times all GB donation rewards. No one is in any way obligated to give that much, if they can lock a spot for less, but some players get really upset if you lock a spot on one of their GBs at less than that rate. I usually laugh and either ignore them or tell them they can go jump in a lake. LOL

Algona

So? why don't you tell me your definition?

Because my definition isn't important.

What is important is realizing that everyone has their own definition of sniping and working within that framework in any discussion on sniping.

Note well. Aside from pointing out your misuse of the words official and illicit, I did not comment on any of the rest of your post.

Years of debate across multiple threads has never led to a definition that got anything close to concensus.

The reason is with one exception* no one has put forward a mathematically objective definition.

So folk can and do disagree, and argue all you want, they will continue to disagree om exactly what sniping is.

*Me.

Years back when I was running my Guild because someone wanted a Guild rule about sniping. As the master-at-arms responsible to enforce Guild rules I was not gonna have a rule about sniping that was not objective.

I did come up with an exact objective definition, but since it is so at odds with so many preconceived notions about sniping it would never be generally accepted.

That's because my definition clearly demonstrates the principle that sniping can never occur unless a donor has made a mistake in bidding or the owner has an unrealistic expectation regarding donations to their GB.

Of course telling people that the reason they got 'sniped' was because they made a mistake will never gain traction.

Players don't like to be told they need to take responsibility for the consequences of their game play choices.

Nope, I sure as hell would much rather teach Guildies from the viewpoint that proper bidding techniques and realistic expectations are both easy and profitable then work from the viewpoint they make easily avoidable mistakes.

Lord Pest

My definition of sniping is this... when you lock a spot on my GB for less than 1.9 it‘s a snipe. When you put put fp on my GB and you don’t lock a spot it’s a gift. I do the math and add exactly enough fp so you had better put 1.9 on there or you will get sniped by one of my guildmates who will put 1.9 on there.

Johnny B. Goode

My definition of sniping is this... when you lock a spot on my GB for less than 1.9 it‘s a snipe. When you put put fp on my GB and you don’t lock a spot it’s a gift. I do the math and add exactly enough fp so you had better put 1.9 on there or you will get sniped by one of my guildmates who will put 1.9 on there.
Ummm...if I put less than 1.9 but lock the spot, how exactly is one of your guild mates going to snipe me back? Asking for a friend. (Yes, I have a friend.)

Tharkunn

I can understand people who don't like it if you 'lock' a position. That is if you are someone that watches others GB's with an eye to catching them when they are at that perfect spot that you can over take someone in it, possible a friend or guild mate of the owner, in such a way that no one can in turn over top you. That is take the spot with enough FP at a point that the GB is close enough to level that someone wishing to retake the lead or bump you will flip the GB before doing so. I can see people not liking this.

What I don't get is people that get pissy if you just put 1-4 FP into their GB, and do it early on so that any friend or guildy can over top you. I had a friend - not really a friend just someone on my friends list that always had 4-5 GB's leveling often with no contributors. I would drop just 1 FP in them in the hope all the slots where not taken. A couple times I got a 1st or second in GB's in the teens and 20's. Then they sent me a pissy note. I un friended them. I have often had people send me a msg whining. I just don't get it. They would rather the spot be vacant when they turn it over then someone who is polishing their city's buildings everyday and visiting their tavern every day get a benefit without taking that benefit away from anyone.

Lord Pest

a threat that is hard to fulfill. The only way would be to ask all Guildmates "do you have "Johnny B. Goode" as a neighbor? then if one says yes, then the person who threatened has to badger them into trying to snipe your Gb if by the odd chance one of them has a snipe or can be flipped depriving you of a double dip.
I know some of my Guilds like to snipe members of certain other Guilds and watch for them when Hood changes. . I think they are way too crazy.
I don’t know how good of a FOE player Johnny is but he sure can play a guitar like ringing’ a bell

Johnny B. Goode

a threat that is hard to fulfill. The only way would be to ask all Guildmates "do you have "Johnny B. Goode" as a neighbor? then if one says yes, then the person who threatened has to badger them into trying to snipe your Gb if by the odd chance one o myGBsf them has a snipe or can be flipped depriving you of a double dip.welc
I know some of my Guilds like to snipe members of certain other Guilds and watch for them when Hood changes. . I think they are way too crazy.
Oh, please, get them to "snipe" one of my GBs! I welcome all donations to my GBs, even the ones that only donate one FP. I don't play your silly 1.9 donation games!

67Sage101

I don't see how sniping is any more or less a transgression than plundering. Odd that one would be considered crossing some moral line but the other is not.
Snipe a guildmate or better yet a friend and see how it's different. Funny that you can't plunder a friend or a guildmate but you think sniping is the same.

And to the one that said sniping is not defined by the rules.....we all know what it is roughly. A word does not need the dictionary for everyone to know what we are talking about. Sniping is a thing and bothers many players for many reasons. I know at least one high level player that didn't understand 1.9 and only used swaps. He quit the game because his neighbor kept dropping his swap friends down a notch by sniping their positions. So it is a real thing. And let's be clear...on some of these threads it can mean the loss of of hundreds of FP for each of your friends while someone that is not your friend makes a nice profit. Swaps are fodder for snipers. Stick to 1.9 threads.

Last edited:

Graviton

Snipe a guildmate or better yet a friend and see how it's different. Funny that you can't plunder a friend or a guildmate but you think sniping is the same.

I can't plunder a friend or guildmate, so not sniping them makes it no different.

Quitting the game because of one sniper sounds...disproportionate.

Johnny B. Goode

wow 'silly doantion games'?
Yep, silly donation games. If I see a neighbor's GB where I can make a profit, I'm gonna do it. If he wanted 1.9 for that spot, he should have arranged for it before he opened that level. That's what the smart guilds do. If you don't arrange for it to be taken as soon as the level is opened, then it's fair game for anyone in the hood. Why should I pay extra and pass up a profit so that someone who is not a friend or guild mate can benefit? Makes no sense.

Algona

I'd be the one:

And to the one that said sniping is not defined by the rules.....we all know what it is roughly.

'We' all know 'roughly' what sniping is?

Go ahead. Based on the comments in this thread, state what 'sniping' is 'roughly'.

Take your time, I'm in no hurry, I've been watching this debate for six years, and it won't be ending any time soon. You might not want to take too long, the major complaint and victim of sniping has changed over time.

Have some fun! Before posting your 'rough' definition, run it through your Guild chat.

Or...

You could read the rest of my post and see that the important thing in any serious discussion on sniping is that since there is no universally accepted definition, that any individual definition is valid and should be accounted for in the discussion.

let's be clear

Beg pardon? You want us to be clear on some aspect of something you have yet to put to words and think 'we' 'roughly' agree on?

----------

Some fun questions to ponder while we wait on 67Sage101 to tell us 'roughly' what 'sniping' is.

Is sniping good or bad?

Is sniping good or bad depending on the situation?

I mention above the major complaint / victim changing over time. What was the old complaint and victim and the new complaint and victim?

Follow up to the last question, what is the next evolution in sniping complaints?

What are the moral implications of sniping a self leveler in the Hood? On your Friend's list? In your Guild?

In a non-sweet spot GB what are the morale implications and how does sniping influence the choice between 1.9 versus full hardlock?

Did you spot the points I'm making with these questions?

Last edited:

firefly3141

I would also like to know how does this hurt the owner of the GB?
yes I also am unsure what sniping is. would be nice to have a calm esxplanation. after reading some of the replies here this seems to be a touchy subject. sigh. it's a game. I just wonder at the definition. sorry... while I have been p laying about 5 months now, I still consider myself a baby so,,, please no one assume I already know... likely I don't lol. okay thanks.