• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Soccer Cup Feedback

qaccy

I agree with the person who said the FP costs for the daily unlock quests are rather steep. Once you get to around Modern Era, almost every quest requires at least a day's worth of hourly FP generation if not more. Compared to the other tasks, that seems rather unreasonable but perhaps that's just me (and the other person who I'm agreeing with). And for the record, I'm not inconvenienced by the costs as there are so many FP-producing buildings that it's possible to amass these days that it's simple to overcome, but is that now the expectation for the average player as well? To have forsaken normal buildings and have a bunch of event buildings? Is this highlighting the possibility that the developers are now developing houses and production buildings for the tech tree that they (silently) know are useless to what they perceive as the majority of players? If that's the case, why do they continue producing these buildings rather than introducing multi-production buildings to the tech tree as well? This is something that would make more sense to go along with increasing costs for event quests based on age such as FP requirements. As a city's FP generation does not inherently increase as one's age moves up, it doesn't really make sense to demand higher costs for this resource when it comes to time-limited event quests while the tech tree remains with the same offerings as ever.

Did I end up going too off-topic with this rant here? I might've.

DeletedUser35475

I agree with the person who said the FP costs for the daily unlock quests are rather steep. Once you get to around Modern Era, almost every quest requires at least a day's worth of hourly FP generation if not more. Compared to the other tasks, that seems rather unreasonable but perhaps that's just me (and the other person who I'm agreeing with). And for the record, I'm not inconvenienced by the costs as there are so many FP-producing buildings that it's possible to amass these days that it's simple to overcome, but is that now the expectation for the average player as well? To have forsaken normal buildings and have a bunch of event buildings? Is this highlighting the possibility that the developers are now developing houses and production buildings for the tech tree that they (silently) know are useless to what they perceive as the majority of players? If that's the case, why do they continue producing these buildings rather than introducing multi-production buildings to the tech tree as well? This is something that would make more sense to go along with increasing costs for event quests based on age such as FP requirements. As a city's FP generation does not inherently increase as one's age moves up, it doesn't really make sense to demand higher costs for this resource when it comes to time-limited event quests while the tech tree remains with the same offerings as ever.

I like the idea of a multi-production building that is a standard building of an age. There are so many special buildings that you can get as a reward for something it is sort of making the the standard building you buy a 'bad' value.

Take the Idol in this event. I think it is one of the best buildings you can have. When fully upgraded it gives the same amount of FP as 4 x SoK, it gives almost as many goods as a standard goods building and it gives gold, supplies and happiness in large amounts. About the only thing that it is missing is population. Perhaps they are planning on making building that give at least 2 things, 1 as the main benefit and another as a smaller side benefit. Otherwise many cities will have tons of special buildings and very few of the standard ones which sort of seems backwards.

RazorbackPirate

By the time you get to ME, I would hope your city would be making much more than the 24 hourly FPs. You don't need event buildings just some FP GBs with some levels on them. If your city's FP generation is not increasing with every age, I would say you've missed something along the way. ToR, Hagia, CdM, Chateau, Cape, Inno, Arc, the options for FPs abound. Even without out of age GBs, simply being active in GE, completing the Daily Challenge and sniping the hood will get you more FPs. That's all before you've even won any SoKs, SSWs, or TFs.

Inno has already provided more than enough buildings outside of events to meet the FP needs of the events themselves. You can even stock up/save up on FP packs in your inventory to have more than enough to finish all the quests in a day or two.

IMO, your entire premise is wrong. If a player who's advanced to ME or higher finds the FP requirements of the Quests a burden, a challenge, or can't meet them, that should serve as a big red flag that there's something fundamentally wrong with their city. Inno doesn't need to change anything with the Tech Tree buildings, it's the player who needs to change their approach to the game.

Salsuero

is that now the expectation for the average player as well? To have forsaken normal buildings and have a bunch of event buildings?

Do you know that the expectation is that events should be easy to complete or even that everyone should be able to complete them? I imagine they believe some people should be able to complete them easily, some would find it difficult, and some just can't... while still others will pay money to bypass quests altogether or at least make them easier. They might in fact want people to spend money on those difficult parts. I don't see why it should be expected that every quest be easy for every player to complete. And with respect to the FPs specifically... I think Inno has made it very clear that they want players to spend them, not stock up on them, and so this is a way for them to make people use packs if they have to.

qaccy

@RazorbackPirate We could argue back and forth over what the actual 'expectation' for a player is, since neither of us really know what the developers design the game around. However, the premise of the tech tree itself has remained constant ever since the start of the game: Normal buildings with no special features. The question is whether the developers now expect players to participate in events as part of the standard game, or whether they remain as bonus, optional content that provides an advantage if you participate, but does not handicap you if you choose to abstain. What do you think?

RazorbackPirate

@RazorbackPirateThe question is whether the developers now expect players to participate in events as part of the standard game, or whether they remain as bonus, optional content that provides an advantage if you participate, but does not handicap you if you choose to abstain. What do you think?

GE, DC, GvG, PvP = Optional, Optional, Optional, Optional. It would stand to reason that Events = Optional as well.

Which is likely the reason they've backed off on tech and C-map advancement. If events are their big money maker they can only go so long watching Event participation drop before it impacts their revenue. No matter what their ideal might be, at some point it becomes a business decision to stop forcing advancement to get more participation to get more diamond sales.

From a diamond sales standpoint, you then set the daily FP amounts right at the edge of comfort/discomfort and set the max level of the Event Building right at the edge of achievable/not achievable. Those who want it easy and guaranteed, will spend diamonds, the rest of us will take our chances and make do.

DeletedUser35475

Which is likely the reason they've backed off on tech and C-map advancement. If events are their big money maker they can only go so long watching Event participation drop before it impacts their revenue. No matter what their ideal might be, at some point it becomes a business decision to stop forcing advancement to get more participation to get more diamond sales.

The big money maker for them is new players. Without new players there is no growth. There is a real danger of new players being put off because they can't complete the events to get those cool event buildings.

I'm no expert in this game but I have a better understanding of it than a novice. I started a new city about 1/2 way through this event and I had great difficulty completing 1/2 the quests and I knew what was coming and had some idea how to prepare for them.

RazorbackPirate

The big money maker for them is new players. Without new players there is no growth. There is a real danger of new players being put off because they can't complete the events to get those cool event buildings.

In a game that is free to play, don't confuse game growth with sales growth. I'm sure the two share some correlation, but without the numbers Inno looks at, we have no information about which player demographic has the highest conversion rate to sales. If I were a betting man, I would not put money on the brand new player.

I'm no expert in this game but I have a better understanding of it than a novice. I started a new city about 1/2 way through this event and I had great difficulty completing 1/2 the quests and I knew what was coming and had some idea how to prepare for them.

Hence your disappointment. You came to the event with a set of expectations someone new to the game wouldn't have. I started my city right as an Event was kicking off. I was clueless about the game and I was clueless about Events. Some quests were easy, some were hard, but all I knew was the every time I finished a Quest, wherever I found it, I got a reward.

I thought the Event was cool because after every 2 or 3 quests, I had enough Event currency to play a mini game and select a chest for even more prizes. In hindsight I played both the game and the Event all wrong, and made the worst choices imaginable. But at the time, it was great. It was all new, it was all exciting, and I had a fun. I didn't even go for the Events Buildings, I had no idea what they did or why I would want them. I knew what Forge Points were, so I played for them.

At some point time ran out and the Event was done. I have no idea how many Quests I completed, or how many I missed. There was no frame of reference. It wasn't until the 3rd Event that I understood enough to be disappointed with the results.

We know that there's a huge loss rate of new players from the start of the game up though to the end of IA. It would not surprise me, if the loss rate was measurably lower when players start during an event.

DeletedUser35475

In a game that is free to play, don't confuse game growth with sales growth. I'm sure the two share some correlation, but without the numbers Inno looks at, we have no information about which player demographic has the highest conversion rate to sales. If I were a betting man, I would not put money on the brand new player.

More players means more potential diamond buyers. Sales is and always has been a numbers game. The more potential customers you have the more sales are more likely tol make.

DeletedUser35475

Hence your disappointment. You came to the event with a set of expectations someone new to the game wouldn't have. I started my city right as an Event was kicking off. I was clueless about the game and I was clueless about Events. Some quests were easy, some were hard, but all I knew was the every time I finished a Quest, wherever I found it, I got a reward.

I thought the Event was cool because after every 2 or 3 quests, I had enough Event currency to play a mini game and select a chest for even more prizes. In hindsight I played both the game and the Event all wrong, and made the worst choices imaginable. But at the time, it was great. It was all new, it was all exciting, and I had a fun. I didn't even go for the Events Buildings, I had no idea what they did or why I would want them. I knew what Forge Points were, so I played for them.

At some point time ran out and the Event was done. I have no idea how many Quests I completed, or how many I missed. There was no frame of reference. It wasn't until the 3rd Event that I understood enough to be disappointed with the results.

We know that there's a huge loss rate of new players from the start of the game up though to the end of IA. It would not surprise me, if the loss rate was measurably lower when players start during an event.

I loved this event. I was looking at it from the point of view of a brand new player. After all it covered more than 8% of the year in days so hundreds of new people probably gave the game a look.

DeletedUser32824

Here is some actual feedback:

During this event I scouted and fought in 0 sectors on the continent map. Without spending diamonds I was able to acquire a lvl 10 Tholos (3 daily special upgrades), 1 wishing well (goal), 1 WW shrink kit (quest), 7 SOKs (6 daily specials and 1 goal) and a handful of regular buildings I will probably never use.

This took little more than some planning and patience on my part. I think walking away with +11 FP/day is not bad.

Salsuero

I just spent the last of my energy drinks (maybe get a few more from the daily giveaway to use once or twice more), but this event worked out great for me. I got 5 Wishing Well Shrink Kits, got my Tholos of Idols to level 10 (with a useless extra upgrade on top of it), and for good measure, burning through the rest of my energy drinks today, I got to Bronze (hopefully I stay there) and won 4 SoKs (to go along with the one they gave us as a goal reward at the beginning)... though I don't have any plan for where to put them yet. All in all, this event was highly productive for me. Of course, not a single diamond bought or spent.

DeletedUser35753

How many goals are people who finish the event completely likely to score? Is it 5? 6? 7? I'm curious now because it's not even the last day and now Bronze is two goals away and Silver is three goals away... and we know the last SoK is going to be a mad dash, so at least in our world, I may not even be able to get Bronze, depending on how far that gets pushed back even further than now.

I got 7 goals, no diamonds spent. Based on all the stats I've seen that's the best case if you used your energy drinks most efficiently for goal distance, but may require some luck. 6 should be certain if you worked for max distance.

Incidentally I was super lucky when the tholos upgrade was the daily special. I've ended with a level 10 and 2 upgrades spare. And a wishing Wells some shrink kits, contestants estate, winners plaza, two SoKs. For folks who have played this game for ages maybe not tons, but for a newer player like me, pretty darn useful, IMO.

DeletedUser35753

I need a little rant. A a fairly basic user (I don't spend hours on it or buy diamonds very often or anything) I was annoyed with the number of "spend xx forge points" in every level of the last half of the soccer tournament as I quickly used up the coins I had and was desperately scrabbling around at every level to raise enough to keep on buying more fps. But now, to be asked to pay over 1m coins at level 64 as well as spending more fps, so close to finishing, I am really annoyed. It's just taking the wotsit and demonstrates very little consideration for actually making an enjoyable challenge.

Rant over.

Thank you.

I'm curious, what were the fp spend requirements for the quests in different ages? For me in EMA (my only city) it was 14 for the main line, and 21 for the daily quests, so trivial even with just hourly FP production.

DeletedUser35475

Here is some actual feedback:

During this event I scouted and fought in 0 sectors on the continent map. Without spending diamonds I was able to acquire a lvl 10 Tholos (3 daily special upgrades), 1 wishing well (goal), 1 WW shrink kit (quest), 7 SOKs (6 daily specials and 1 goal) and a handful of regular buildings I will probably never use.

This took little more than some planning and patience on my part. I think walking away with +11 FP/day is not bad.

Especially if it cost you nothing. I liked this event even though it was a little long.

DeletedUser31592

In my main, I really couldn't be happier- TWO level 10 ToIs, 5 SoKs, 1 WW, 1 WW shrink kit, 1 extra ToI upgrade, plus various other prizes- no diamonds spent.

I got a level 10 in all cities. Barely in Yorkton- I just got the last upgrade this morning by scoring a goal.

DeletedUser24719

There are US servers where the majority of players are US. Why should we be bored with a sporting themed event noone cares for. And except for the fact that INNO gets to rip u off for six weeks why does this event have to be so long and so damn boring.