• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Some suggestions for beginners.

The Froggle

One of my FOE Friends was concerned about advancing into an age where your city can be attacked & Plundered. They questioned whether it was a good idea to level up, and, of course, the answer is maybe, maybe not. So, I thought I’d post this information that I pretty much learned via the School of Hard Knocks. (Not an FOE Building.) Any FOE Moderators, if you see anything wrong with this post, please message me, or answer to the post & I’ll try to correct it. And, if you just think it’s worthless, please do the same & I’ll delete it.

So first, IMO, there's only one really good reason for not leveling up your Age, and getting attacked & plundered isn't it. If you level up too soon, especially if you're doing PvP or necessary Quest, Sector, or Guild Expedition fights, you won't have good enough troops to win a battle of any kind for quite a while. Sometimes with PvP and with the Quests as well, you're stuck with attacking troops that literally have hundreds of % Attack or Defense (or both) increases. That's usually because the opponents have lots of Great Buildings that increase those %,

And attacking opposition armies is sometimes the only way to get ahead in one of several places, the Story Quests, the Daily Specials, the Event Quests and the Guild Expeditions if you don't have goods to negotiate & you don't have/can't afford much in Diamonds to spend. Until you can move into the next level's higher troops, it becomes very difficult to 'solve' some of those quests, if not impossible. (Been there.)

Regarding being attacked & plundered, there are several pretty good ways to mitigate the problem. First, get as high level troops as you can in your City Defense. If you have them, use "unattached" troops, as they don't get killed off in Defense so you don't lose them, but you will lose them or have to pay heavy Diamond costs, if you use them to attack & they’re killed. IMO, the ONLY troops you should use to attack are those you can replace from your various troop training buildings in your city, since, while they take a while to replace, they only cost Gold & Product, which are regularly replaced from your residences & production buildings.

In addition, I can give these tips. First, harvest Products & Goods as soon as you can after they’re available & on your screen. Next check your Events scroll as much as possible so you'll know if you've been attacked. Then if you're attacked & defenses are breached but you haven't yet been plundered because you don't have any completed productions or "Goods" (Ebony, Cloth, etc.), you can (a) cancel all productions, and (b) set the productions & products for the 1 day output. Whoever attacked you has only 24 hours to Plunder & you'll get beyond that time. And they don't know when you're re-set for. Also, and it’s critical to realize this, “Plunder” costs you 1 (one) and only 1 Production or Goods result. Somewhat irritating, yes. A pain, yes, but hardly debilitating on what you can do in the game over the long haul.

Finally, the "Goods" cost to get map sectors, and move down the Guild Expedition Tree gets greater (& harder to get) as you move up. I can make these suggestions there. As you gain sectors that have raw materials for "Goods," like Limestone, Marble Deposits, Copper Ore, etc., always, always, figure out a way to add those Goods buildings, even if it means selling off other Goods producers & using that population & space for the ones with the raw materials. That way, instead of 2 Goods each 8 hours, you get 10, which will fairly shortly give you enough to trade, either 1:1 or 2:1 for those you need.\ You'll find most of us pretty willing to help out & trade when we can, I think.

Finally, please remember, it’s only a game. And 3 secrets to advancing are “patience, patience, & patience.” Best of luck & I hope you find this helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ebeondi Asi

Worry about being plundered is really a new player fear. I worried about it when I was new. When new, losing some production or goods or coins seemed a big deal. But plunder is part of the game. Get over it. it is nothing.
My #1 advice is never write any sort of message to the person who plundered you at all. Never. All it does it make them want to plunder you more. Also change the two spearfighter defense out. Some players go after players wth the two Spearfighter defense gangbusters just because. Even if all you have is eight spearfighters.. OK.
The advanced player defense is collect on time. I have almost no city defense. since I have nothing worth taking*. I collect on time. *True that is hard to do when you have productionat 4 hrs etc. But it is the best advice. Nothing worth taking means no one can wait and watch continuously to plunder.so my collecting within a few minutes of everything popping is usually fine.II set my phone alarm. It also means trying to have buildings that are no vulnerable.(the most common is items that need to be aided to be safe from plunder.(like trains) or set to collect every 24 hours. this means getting your Friends to aid you every day. getting Friends who aid every day. and clearing off players who never ais you. Also means you have to aid your Friends everyday.

Moving up Era a general suggestion is when you can autobattle through GE level 4 you are ready to move up an Era.this is wonderful advice.

Ironrooster

Level up when you feel like it.
If you feel you have gone too fast, then stop for a while. Build up whatever you feel you need before leveling up again.

There are a lot of ways to play this game. Over time you'll find one you like, that will guide your future decisions. I have one city where the only battle fought was the tutorial (can't avoid that one). It plays a lot differently than a city that fights all the time (which I also have). Most people are somewhere in between.

Pickleweasel

Next check your Events scroll as much as possible so you'll know if you've been attacked.

I make no comment as to the value or veracity of the post in toto, but for this particular part:

1. Click the three horizontal lines button on the upper-left of the event history screen, then turn on filters.
  2. Under all events, select "Battle Events."
  3. Scrolling is likely unnecessary now (should be less than one screen) unless your neighborhood really is messing with you.

Johnny B. Goode

Then if you're attacked & defenses are breached but you haven't yet been plundered because you don't have any completed productions or "Goods" (Ebony, Cloth, etc.), you can (a) cancel all productions, and (b) set the productions & products for the 1 day output. Whoever attacked you has only 24 hours to Plunder & you'll get beyond that time.
The only problem with this is that after the 24 hours they can attack again...and still plunder one of those reset productions. So you've wasted an entire cycle of all your productions and still not saved that one from being plundered. Or not plundered, if the attacker was just attacking for battle points or to fulfill a quest and wasn't planning on plundering anything. Then you've wasted an entire cycle for nothing, which is even worse.
And attacking opposition armies is sometimes the only way to get ahead in one of several places, the Story Quests, the Daily Specials, the Event Quests and the Guild Expeditions if you don't have goods to negotiate
Which points to the fact that it's better to make having enough goods more of a criteria for moving up than attack boosts. You can still increase your attack boosts after moving up, but producing enough earlier era goods becomes problematic.
Also, and it’s critical to realize this, “Plunder” costs you 1 (one) and only 1 Production or Goods result. Somewhat irritating, yes. A pain, yes, but hardly debilitating on what you can do in the game over the long haul.
This is the best statement of your entire post.

The Froggle

I make no comment as to the value or veracity of the post in toto, but for this particular part:

1. Click the three horizontal lines button on the upper-left of the event history screen, then turn on filters.
  2. Under all events, select "Battle Events."
  3. Scrolling is likely unnecessary now (should be less than one screen) unless your neighborhood really is messing with you.
A great addition to my post. I'm still relatively new at this, so I missed that. Thanks.

The Froggle

The only problem with this is that after the 24 hours they can attack again...and still plunder one of those reset productions. So you've wasted an entire cycle of all your productions and still not saved that one from being plundered. Or not plundered, if the attacker was just attacking for battle points or to fulfill a quest and wasn't planning on plundering anything. Then you've wasted an entire cycle for nothing, which is even worse.

Which points to the fact that it's better to make having enough goods more of a criteria for moving up than attack boosts. You can still increase your attack boosts after moving up, but producing enough earlier era goods becomes problematic.

This is the best statement of your entire post.
Thanks for the comments. I'm on a kind of schedule, so roughly every 24 hours I pick up the goodies & usually don't have to reset the time by much. But it is more efficient to set the goods & production timers for shorter times if you're on more often, so your statement is a good addition, makes a great point.