• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

New Idea Sortable and/or exportable columns of data for GE and GBG Participation

Do you think this could be useful?

• Total voters

Vger

I'd want to see a way to export it outside the game unless that data is also made anonymous / identifiable info removed
This seems like a bit of a red herring argument.

What identifiable info? Your username is already anonymous, is it not?
^^^ That ^^^

Not just username, but everything that could be exported is ( I would assume ) data that is already visible to you in game. If you can print screen it, or manually type the data on your screen into Excel, then that data is already not secure. And does not need to be secure.

The ability to export the data makes it easier to share, or slice and dice, or print out and hang on your wall. But it doesn't create any sort of data security issue. Arguing that it does is a "Security through obscurity" argument, which is always flawed.

Graviton

Because you don't want to help people do things easier? I'm just wondering why this particular dislike.
A wonderfully ironic question from the same person who said in another thread, "I don't think this game should be made easier to get the things you currently have to work for. Some things take effort."

My support for sortable data in-game makes it obvious that it's not about some allergy to 'easier'. If you want to keep spreadsheets or whatever outside of the game, that's fine, I just don't see why Inno should help you do that. Make the data sortable in-game so everybody can use it without even the effort of exporting.

Emberguard

Senior Ingame Moderator
Not just username, but everything that could be exported is ( I would assume ) data that is already visible to you in game. If you can print screen it, or manually type the data on your screen into Excel, then that data is already not secure. And does not need to be secure.
it’s one thing to have access to info because you wouldn’t be able to play if it didn’t exist. It’s another to make that info storable permanently through exporting it. Then you need to look over privacy laws to make sure whatever given is ok. There are laws regarding how long that info can be kept and in what form or purpose. It might be fine and you might get exactly what you ask for. Or it might be done in a entirely different format from what you want.

Vger

it’s one thing to have access to info because you wouldn’t be able to play if it didn’t exist. It’s another to make that info storable permanently through exporting it.
Actually, no. Those 2 things are exactly the same from a security or privacy perspective.

Then you need to look over privacy laws to make sure whatever given is ok.
INNO already needs to do that. If they are providing any info about you in game that violates privacy laws, then they are already doing it wrong. How easy or hard it is for me to capture that data is irreverent.

There are laws regarding how long that info can be kept and in what form or purpose.
Any info that is covered by those laws already can't be shared with other users of the game.

You are trying to argue that it's OK for INNO to show me stuff about you in game that violates your privacy as long as they don't give me an easy way to capture and store that data. That's "Security through obscurity" which is always a security fail.

Salsuero

A wonderfully ironic question
How so? I wasn't asking myself. I wasn't asking your opinion based on any of my own. I was asking you. So, if you have a problem with me asking you questions, don't blame my positions for that. Answer or don't. But save the arguments against my motivations for asking. Sometimes people ask questions simply to obtain answers. That was the case here.

Graviton

So, if you have a problem with me asking you questions, don't blame my positions for that.
What? I didn't say anything about having any problems. Just noted an irony. I also offered an answer to your question, any comments about that?

OldAdam12

I wouldn't mind having ways to summarize data easier within the game. I'm not sure I'd want to see a way to export it outside the game unless that data is also made anonymous / identifiable info removed
I'm not sure what you think would be exported?
I'm talking about "username" (which, as @Salsuero indicated, is already a level of anonymity), the number of encounters completed in GE, the number of negotiations and fights completed in GBG.

The only reason to provide for exporting (be it copy/paste or an actual export to CSV or similar) is to facilitate the data-crunching done by some guilds to track their guild-mate's progress in either meeting guild guidelines or just looking at their trends so that maybe they can figure out who needs more assistance in learning how to do these events better.