• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

spiral city layout

Salsuero

I have a degree in geography and took several degree-based specialty courses in cartographic principles, civil engineering, and GIS systems. That might help me "see" some thing that others might not quicker... might allow me to make changes more easily as well.

DeletedUser26120

Nice link LLQ. Yes Sal your method is better, it's just a more complex upkeep that's all - which I don't want because I tend to plant a bunch of GBs (especially this early) and I like event buildings+sets, which have varying sizes. I'm holding out hopes we'll get daily challenges before long and start winning them.

So that'd require constantly moving roads around with your layout, and in a full city that's not easy to do at all. I'd have to repeatedly sell or store buildings to do it. I had to clear almost a quarter of my city to switch to this ring layout in the first place.

I appreciate the input and it may work well for you, but at this stage of the game it's not feasible for me at all. May look at it for V world - I'm pretty much set there, kraken and all.

Anyway just made the jump to HMA - replaced tanneries with alchemists and a couple berserker barracks. Removed the two mounted archer ranges and added 3 honey production buildings. Will soon switch the goldsmiths to glass, don't know 2nd HMA boost yet.

When I get HMA housing (not far off, about 160fp) I will get a pop boost then we'll see what I can fit in my city and I'll post a photographic update.

DeletedUser26120

Haven't converted all housing yet but here's something cool about the empty space in the corners, it lets you make room for an additional house so you can upgrade without having to delete anything else.

O44V4Ot.jpg

Salsuero

Haven't converted all housing yet but here's something cool about the empty space in the corners, it lets you make room for an additional house so you can upgrade without having to delete anything else.

I'm not trying to mess with you here, but that seems highly inefficient. You are losing the use of that space otherwise. If it's "expensive" to delete one or two Clapboard Houses and rebuild them later with the refund they give you, that doesn't sound very good. Also... I usually just delete a few roads if I need to shift some things around quickly... then rebuild them. It's a lot less expensive than deleting actual buildings. Sorry, I hope I don't sound rude.

DeletedUser26120

Not expensive, just no population available to delete them. Would have had to get rid of alchemist or a goods building, which was more inefficient in my view.

Salsuero

Not expensive, just no population available to delete them.

Bingo! You got me there. I haven't thought about population or enthusiasm in so long that I forget that's a thing people have to consider. Still, I didn't know you could disconnect houses and have it not affect your population. My point does not apply to Alchemists or goods buildings, so I would agree with you there.

Kaidi

It's nice and seems to provide some extra space but wow that'd be such a pain to rearrange with new buildings, and new GBs.

Not to mention 3x3 housing. With the other way it's a much simpler matter to upgrade.

I think you said 3x3 before, too. CA is 2x3. I don't think it just moves up as 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, etc.

DeletedUser31592

Housing goes from 2x2 to 3x2 to 3x3 to 4x3. Then it gets really random. It revisits other sizes, adds things like 3x4, 4x4, 6x6, 5x5, 5x4, and 1x1. Each era past ME (or maybe PE) can have multiple different sized houses.

DeletedUser26120

Indeed. It is so good when you finally get your Inno tower up and don't need houses anymore. Apologies for lack of updates, but have been busy.

As requested here is how it looks in a later era:
ozTed1J.jpg

I removed the two lane roads I had top when I got the sunkens. When I got to TE I used the expansions to move my town hall to the bottom right so I could make a new row with 2 lane roads.

Right now it'll only be 4x but can still use that for stealth tank factories, and may throw up a couple robotics to fill demand for CE robots. Waiting to get 2 more expansions from FE map, 2 more from tech, and 1 more from the new victory expansion.

When I get terracotta in, I will be removing estates at the rate I gain attack with it - one estate gone per 3% so I can move the SoKs to the side and make room for 2 lane buildings.

Estates were nice but they served their purpose and tiles producing only coins/medals is highly inefficient for me now.

Rank 10 on the server (US25 Z) at the moment.

Salsuero

When I got to TE I used the expansions to move my town hall to the bottom right

Perception can be a funny thing sometimes. If you were to ask me, I'd say your town hall is on the bottom LEFT. That's because I'm basing it on its location in your town from a different reference point (I see the narrow edge at the top left as the "top" while you appear to see the longer edge at the top right as the "top"). What's even more strange about how my brain is working this all out in real-time is that I have my town baked into an excel spreadsheet for ease of reconfiguration, and I use the same "top" as you are here, but only because my monitor has more width with that orientation. My brain still apparently wants to default to a different point of reference, depending on the configuration of expansions. With your town being so perfectly rectangular, my brain sees one thing, but with different expansion placements, my brain sees something entirely different. So weird. If we were talking purely about screen location I'd say it's bottom roughly dead-center. I feel like screen location might actually be less confusing than town location in your town's case, though not always, with town location clearly being more of a pure perception thing, and with my "top" reference point for determining left and right likely to be just as confusing to others who view their own towns from your "top". Funny how this sort of thing can make such a difference depending on a simple change of perception cues. Obviously this isn't of any sort of importance other than to simply point out something silly that our brains see differently.

Last edited:

DeletedUser26120

lol :) What if I had said southeast?

Was looking through this thread, I'm disappointed with myself for not posting more updates but was cool to see how my city was in LMA.

That royal cascade stuck with me a long time, I only deleted it just a week ago. The quarters make more coins and I can't afford to drop more def at the moment.

My current plan is to focus on efficiency. Want to replace TFs with better buildings - first on list is Kraken. As soon as I get 3 SoKs, will be storing or deleting 2 skywatches. Hoping to get more mills, that they'll put up the base and upgrade as daily like they did with idol. Stuff like that.

That and pushing GBs up - Arc is at 80. Chateau at 12 and going up. Traz/Inno/CDM/Hagia in the teens and cape just started going up to 11. Zeus will get attention at some point soon too, because it's cheap.

Terracotta will replace that plaza and one of the HoFs. Just stored CE champ (top one above museum) and put down my mill. Any extra mills will replace HoFs - our guild level is almost 40, not making much of a dent now.

DeletedUser32824

I'm still confused why this is considered a spiral. Care to elaborate?

DeletedUser29726

Presumably because it started out with the generic shape of a spiral and then got adjusted. Spirals do make good city shapes but it's hard to keep them 'pure' as your city grows - you have to constantly readjust the entire city for new contents. What dursland has been using since his first post is a ring road with interior branches overall which does have some of the same advantages but is more flexible - many of his recent layouts include unnecessary loops though - and aren't really any better than a simple one main road with straight branches off it.

More or less the idea with a spiral city is that unlike T intersections that necessarily create only waste locally (on the interior corners the buildings must have road on 2 sides), an L can be equal or even superior to a straight road (at least when it comes to single lane - 2LR is really hard to accomplish the same with since all the buildings that use it tend to be large) - the building on the outside corner has less road than usual attached to it and if the savings on the outside are greater than the waste on the inside you wind up saving space - so you try to put things like SoKs on the inside corner (only wastes a little road), and things like terrace farms and great buildings on the outside corners. This doesn't just have to apply to a spiral - it can also be used for a variety of winding shapes - whether or not you can save a bit with it depends on your buildings.

Now T intersections aren't always bad as they do have one advantage themself - they create an extra termination point and like corners termination points can support big buildings with less than usual road - in fact a termination point can support 2 well matched big buildings with a single tile of road and that may make up for the wasted road for the two interior-corner buildings.

DeletedUser32824

Thanks for the explanation! I might mess around with my iron age city in city planner and see if I can't work out a spiral. Most of my buildings are 2x2 and 3x3 with a couple 4x4s. We shall see!

DeletedUser26120

Winding road layout is more efficient, would save a good bit of space but is extremely inflexible.

I'm in the first year of a world - my city is still in flux. Maybe later when I'm in VF and not much else to add I can optimize.

But as stated above, this ring layout is versatile and allows me to put a lot of 3x2/2x2/2x3 buildings on the outside with less road waste. I could cut down some of the loops and corners to put more stuff in but would make it harder to adjust to new expansions and buildings.

I still have about a dozen expansions or more between the tech tree and maps, not to mention a lot of space in my city to optimize. Looking to get to 1fp per 4 tiles or better on all buildings, removing less useful buildings etc. Once all that's done maybe I can try a true sprial layout.

But doing this ring saved me at least 16 tiles vs the comb layout I see in most cities. I have about five more expansions to finish filling out a new row then must decide whether to start another or to add more space on sides to move GBs out of the way.

DeletedUser26120

I have since abandoned this design in favor of optimizing roads and placing GBs on outside of city. It worked for a long time but once you get to FE there's a lot of stuff to put down :) Here's an updated view of what it looks like.

I'm working on expansions for that bottom row then will move Himeji and plan to put blue galaxy in place of those maypoles at some point soon, and put that outside of city later as well.

I started a new guild so temporarily replaced goods buildings with HoFs for a bit. Hence the ignore that area note. :D

GB levels if interested:
Arc 100
Hagia/CDM/Zeus/Chateau/Cape in 60s
Alcatraz/Inno in 70s
Orangery/Cathedral in 40s
St Mark's/Lighthouse/Kraken in 20s
Dynamic/Museum/Terracotta/Temple/Himeji/Observatory are between 11-19

nQrvzSY.jpg