• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Spring Event - The Cherry Blossom Festival Feedback

SharonRB

I managed to get through three or so of the quests before it became clear that I will advance no further and never complete this: the task before me is to make my people enthusiastic. Right now, that would require 8000+ additional happiness, which is simply unattainable. That's really discouraging. This event looked like fun and looked like a good source of improvement for my city, but one day in and that's pretty much the end of it right there.
Perhaps you could get rid of some - less people should bring up happiness.

DeletedUser27023

Hoping someone with better math skills can help me with something. If I am only going for the daily special, which chest should I try, bronze, silver or gold? They all have different percentage chances. I currently have 600 lanterns. I don't care about the other stuff. The event buildings are my priority.

DeletedUser24787

PSS: Remember when the Easter event used to be cool? You know.With eggs & stuff & good prizes?

yep but this is not easter this is the spring event the event has changed accept the change or stay stuck in the past with nostalgia

Now it's a stressful situation.

plays game to relax.... sees new event.... must stress out over digital content lol

Algona

Hoping someone with better math skills can help me with something. If I am only going for the daily special, which chest should I try, bronze, silver or gold? They all have different percentage chances. I currently have 600 lanterns. I don't care about the other stuff. The event buildings are my priority.

I don't think I'm smart enough to answer this, but a little more info should help whoever tackles this answer your question.

What pieces do you already have?

Do you plan on finishing the first quest line to get the Gong?

I will say that I got all 5 and here's how I did it.

I blitzed the first quest line to get the Gong. Quest 2(?) gave the Zen Zone. I knew I wold get Sakura Rock as the first Grand Prize. So I knew I needed only 2 more buildings.

I used the large chests to get the Rock sooner. The other prizes in the large chest are so much better, especially the Lantern bonus. I decided to go with nothing but the large chests. Then I got lucky on my openings, getting the other two pieces in 5 tries.

I did make a horrible mistake on day 2 by opening 3 chests trying for an SoK. Dumb, at least from the perspective of trying to get the 5 pieces.

I can tell you that opening 4 small chests, 2 medium chests, or one large chest all have about the same probability of hitting the daily prize. I think.

Last edited:

DeletedUser27023

I now have all of the pieces wit
Cass, I don't think I'm smart enough to answer this, but a little more info should help whoever tackles this answer your question.

What pieces do you already have?

Do you plan on finishing the first quest line to get the Gong?

I now have all of the pieces with the exception of the Entrance and the Gong. I'm at 19/25 so yes, I'll be finishing that up. Not sure though what any off that has to do with the odds of earning a daily prize even building. I did get the Pond today by opening two gold chests. I got a Reno kit first and the Pond second. I was super happy with that.

Still, I wonder if having more chances with bronze or silver is better than less chances but a higher percentage chance with gold.

Algona

I now have all of the pieces with the exception of the Entrance and the Gong. I'm at 19/25 so yes, I'll be finishing that up. Not sure though what any off that has to do with the odds of earning a daily prize even building. I did get the Pond today by opening two gold chests. I got a Reno kit first and the Pond second. I was super happy with that.

Still, I wonder if having more chances with bronze or silver is better than less chances but a higher percentage chance with gold.

And you still have 600 Lanterns?

I can tell you the probability of hitting at least one Daily Prize for the three different chests given a certain number of lanterns, but my skills break down (crash, disintegrate) when i try to take into account the chances of winning extra tries by winning Lanterns i n the different chests.

With 600 Lanterns I get the chances of winning a daily Prize as

Large Chest 68% (1-.75^5)
Medium Chest 62% (1-.87^7)
Small Chest 64% (1-.93^15)

BUT! this does NOT include the extra chances from cracking Lanterns as prizes in the chests.

And of course I could be completely wrong on this. It's 5:30 AM for me.

I think given the additional Lanterns you can still get you are in darn good shape. Good luck!

DeletedUser25148

Cultural buildings and decorations produce happiness.

View attachment 3164

Use them.

Yes. I understand that. But cultural building and decorations require real estate and i have no space at the moment, and even if I were to get an expansion, that would not be enough space to build enough decorations/cultural buildings to gain a net 8000 increase in happiness. That is the source of my frustration is that on a basic infrastructure level, there is no room for me to simply plop down 8000 happiness units worth of buildings.

I've been informed that I can buy enthusiasm in the tavern--so I'll just have to wait until I've got the silver to do so.

DeletedUser25148

Perhaps you could get rid of some - less people should bring up happiness.

Yeah, I tried that, but at the moment I only had 300 or so available surplus population. Getting rid of them all wouldn't have made a huge impact.

DeletedUser26154

Not surprising, "support" is unable or unwilling to help. Doesn't sound like they will fix the bug. (Bug because mobile doesn't act the same as desktop)

It's not a bug.
It's a change they made last year.
People we're complaining about having to hit a tiny little bar to get things done.
Now you click anywhere on the window to get things done.

Fumble Fingers can be costly.

DeletedUser28015

This isn't rocket science. The probability of the daily special in the three chests is 7%, 13%, and 25%. The chests cost 40 lanterns, 70 lanterns, and 120 lanterns. The costs in lanterns to get 1% chance are 40/7 = 5.7, 70/13 = 5.4, and 120/25 = 4.8. Gold is best. (It's actually even better than those numbers indicate, because buying 3 bronze chests only gives you a 19.6% chance, not a 21% chance, but I'm not showing the rocket science calculation for that). It also costs fewer lanterns per cherry blossom: 40/5 = 8 for bronze, 70/10 = 7 for silver, 120/20 = 6 for gold. Be smart and only buy gold.

Addendum: With your 600 lanterns, your odds of winning the daily special by buying gold chests are
first chest: .25 (1 - .75)
first two chests: .4375 (1 - .75^2)
first three chests: .5781 (1 - .75^3)
first four chests: .6836 (1 - .75^4)
five chests: .7627 (1 -.75^5)

Hmm ... I just read Algona's comment, and he's right that the chances of winning lanterns changes the odds ... but I think they even more strongly favor gold: A 12% of winning 200 lanterns is certainly better than a 15% chance of winning only 120 or a 20% chance of winning only 70.

Also, his math is off. It should be

Large Chest 76% (1-.75^5)
Medium Chest 67% (1-.87^8) (Actually, 8 mediums and 1 small = 69%)
Small Chest 66% (1-.93^15)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser8420

This isn't rocket science. The probability of the daily special in the three chests is 7%, 13%, and 25%. The chests cost 40 lanterns, 70 lanterns, and 120 lanterns. The costs in lanterns to get 1% chance are 40/7 = 5.7, 70/13 = 5.4, and 120/25 = 4.8. Gold is best. (It's actually even better than those numbers indicate, because buying 3 bronze chests only gives you a 19.6% chance, not a 21% chance, but I'm not showing the rocket science calculation for that). It also costs fewer lanterns per cherry blossom: 40/5 = 8 for bronze, 70/10 = 7 for silver, 120/20 = 6 for gold. Be smart and only buy gold.
ummm just bought 1 gold and 2 bronze chests and got reno from gold and got 2 ponds from the bronze....so actually it is the luck of the draw.

DeletedUser8420

AH PHOOIE KA PLUUIE....I have starting getting the time quests for the event...can not do another quest till tomorrow...baloney...

DeletedUser28015

ummm just bought 1 gold and 2 bronze chests and got reno from gold and got 2 ponds from the bronze....so actually it is the luck of the draw.

^ Um, actually you have a complete failure to understand probability. Yes, of course it's "the luck of the draw", but some draws give you better chances.

Sheesh.

DeletedUser13838

The easiest way to approach the problem of having a prize with lanterns is to simply discount the cost of the chest by the expected lanterns in the chest. A gold chest costs 120 lanterns and the chest gives 200 lanterns back 12% of the time so the net cost on average is 96.

So if you have 600 lanterns you can buy 5 gold chests but in reality you can buy 25/4 chests (on average). So what is the probability of winning the daily special at least once? It's not 1-0.75^5 ~ 3/4, it's 1-0.75^(25/4) ~ 5/6

This is not exact since the distribution is no longer binomial but negative binomial (I think).

Praetorius

Currently waiting on the 24-hour production x5 quest.

Rewards so far:
Gold chest - Emperor's Entrance
Gold chest - 1500 medal pack
Gold chest - Nishi Pond

DeletedUser2802

Good quest if you spend diamonds. The lanterns you get from the occasional appearance of cherry trees on your map (never gotten more than 3 lanterns from one) and the small amount you get from the quests really don't seem to be enough to make a dent in getting decent rewards. Perhaps the later quests, if I get to them, will have more lanterns so I can get one good thing out of it.