• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Still being constantly attacked and plundered by people with points thousands ahead

Volodya

Sorry, Volodya but I don't follow. "as long as both players have agreed, at least tacitly, by saying nothing about it, that that is how they want to play the game" There are hundreds of games - board games, card games - where different strategies may be used to win, not all players use those strategies and the point is to win, which certainly implies that someone else loses. And although the loser is free to be ticked off about losing, as long as the strategy itself is not against the rules ... so I'm don't really understand your comment. Plunder is not against the rules, it's encouraged by the game developer.

So your complaint is about the attitude of the player?

While it may not be the attitude of polite society, role-playing games - online or otherwise - are often not polite. When I was little, playing Cowboys and Indians I loved being an Indian because I loved pretending I was riding a horse and scalping people. I can assure you, in RL I do not run around scalping people or screaming at the top of my lungs. I'm actually known for excellence in customer service.

There is a long standing argument about the value of role-playing, but no conclusive evidence that 'trying on' other behaviors is related to acting out in RL.

Oh, and I'm not a player who plunders.
If we're playing chess, say, obviously we know that pieces will be taken ("plundered") in the course of the game. If we're playing Risk, we know that we can lose armies and territory to opponents who take them, often quite gleefully. If I play low-stakes poker, I absolutely want to win as much money from the other players as I possibly can. I'm not at all in the no losers and everyone gets a trophy school of game playing.

Here's the thing though: We won't play these games if this stuff bothers us, because the games are literally meaningless without stakes or the loss of pieces. FoE is a little bit different, because it CAN be played as a game of city-building and cooperation. Attack and plunder are indeed built into the game, and I have no issue with people playing that way. In fact, I'm not all that sympathetic to complaints from losing players, if the opponents are reasonably closely matched. If the loser in that scenario gripes about plunder, maybe they really should look for a different game without it. I'm bothered a lot though by the plundering of much weaker players by much stronger ones. (Attacks strictly for points shouldn't upset anyone, since no harm is done to the loser.) First, I just don't see why that is fun at all, but what I really don't understand is why the aggressor in that scenario wouldn't stop their plunder when asked. I really do think that smug refusal to stop, even when the loser is obviously genuinely upset, says something about the aggressor in real life. It tells me they don't care if they upset people.

DeletedUser17558

You loseme though when you boast of disregarding requests to stop plundering. You say that your style of playing doesn't reflect the person you are in real life. You're wrong about that; regardless of how ardently you try to deny it, your behavior in this game demonstrates an empathy-deficiency in real life... because, whether you "approve" of it or not, whether or not you think it's silly or childish, you are genuinely upsetting people, also in real life, and you don't care.

I disagree. I have an empathy-deficiency in this game because it is a game. If something happens to you in this game and it upsets you, that is your problem. Absolutely nothing that happens in this game upsets me because nothing that happens in this game will ever affect me in real life. Just because you and others like you can't separate the two isn't my problem. I could discuss all day the things I do that demonstrate empathy, but the only actions of mine any of you will ever see is how I play the game, and that is not an adequate judge of a person.

DeletedUser10517

The prompts on the loading screen also explicitly describe plundering as "stealing," yet plunderers seem to be offended if they're described as "thieves." Plunderers in general seem remarkably thin-skinned, quick to take offense at the tiniest imagined slight. Poor dears. Inno also wants players to use this discussion board--presumably that's why they offer it--yet you and your comrades seem to feel that posts that cast you in an unflattering light are out of bounds. Why is that? If those posts don't violate the message rules, they ALSO are part of playing the game the way Inno intends. Most of us have learned that wanting to have your cake and eat it too isn't a viable life strategy.

For the record, none of this is about me. I can count on both hands--with fingers left over--the number of times I've been successfully plundered since I began playing the game. I put up the strongest army I can; I'll take my chances with that and my +364 defense bonus. If someone can attack me and plunder me, good for them; I'll get 'em next time or the time after that. I have no issue with plundering--as long as both players have agreed, at least tacitly, by saying nothing about it, that that is how they want to play the game. You loseme though when you boast of disregarding requests to stop plundering. You say that your style of playing doesn't reflect the person you are in real life. You're wrong about that; regardless of how ardently you try to deny it, your behavior in this game demonstrates an empathy-deficiency in real life... because, whether you "approve" of it or not, whether or not you think it's silly or childish, you are genuinely upsetting people, also in real life, and you don't care.

Good Grief......."Genuinely upsetting people"???

Because someone took their pixels????

LOLOLOL

- - - Updated - - -

If we're playing chess, say, obviously we know that pieces will be taken ("plundered") in the course of the game. If we're playing Risk, we know that we can lose armies and territory to opponents who take them, often quite gleefully. If I play low-stakes poker, I absolutely want to win as much money from the other players as I possibly can. I'm not at all in the no losers and everyone gets a trophy school of game playing.

Here's the thing though: We won't play these games if this stuff bothers us, because the games are literally meaningless without stakes or the loss of pieces. FoE is a little bit different, because it CAN be played as a game of city-building and cooperation. Attack and plunder are indeed built into the game, and I have no issue with people playing that way. In fact, I'm not all that sympathetic to complaints from losing players, if the opponents are reasonably closely matched. If the loser in that scenario gripes about plunder, maybe they really should look for a different game without it. I'm bothered a lot though by the plundering of much weaker players by much stronger ones. (Attacks strictly for points shouldn't upset anyone, since no harm is done to the loser.) First, I just don't see why that is fun at all, but what I really don't understand is why the aggressor in that scenario wouldn't stop their plunder when asked. I really do think that smug refusal to stop, even when the loser is obviously genuinely upset, says something about the aggressor in real life. It tells me they don't care if they upset people.

Yes, and anyone playing FoE can see there is an element of War involved and if they dont like the game how it is played by some, they are free to not play....the same as they are with chess.......

All the 'victims' need do is collect on time......then nothing to Plunder.

But.....what we get is a lot of people who complain, but do nothing to try solve the problem. Why should a game change how its played just because some people complain they dont like it?
No, they need to adjust THEIR way of viewing the plundering.........and put some effort into finding a way to stop it. (collect on time)

Volodya

Good Grief......."Genuinely upsetting people"???
Because someone took their pixels????
LOLOLOL
Probably people shouldn't get upset if some jerk cuts them off in traffic, but lord knows they do.

Maybe you're right in some abstract sense that people shouldn't get upset because someone took their pixels... the fact remains that they are quite genuinely upset, in real life. It says something about a person if they enjoy upsetting other people, or even if they just don't care one way or the other.

DeletedUser10517

Probably people shouldn't get upset if some jerk cuts them off in traffic, but lord knows they do.

Maybe you're right in some abstract sense that people shouldn't get upset because someone took their pixels... the fact remains that they are quite genuinely upset, in real life. It says something about a person if they enjoy upsetting other people, or even if they just don't care one way or the other.

No, it really doesnt and to say that those who plunder "enjoy upsetting other people" is hyperbole at best.

To me, and many other, its says much much more about the person who is "genuinely upset".

Cutting someone up in traffic is a real life, physical thing......that can 'upset' a persons balance for the day. Hardly comparable.

This is a game and people choose to play knowing what is involved. If they are unaware of the plundering aspect of the game when they start, then they are certainly aware of it after being plundered for the first time............and they can choose to either continue to play knowing about this aspect or quit.

If they CHOOSE to carry on playing, then they shouldnt be whining about being plundered.

Choice......choose to play or dont choose to play. Simple as that.

DeletedUser9433

You seem to believe you can read minds. That says something about people who believe that imho. I don't enjoy upsetting people however in this game I don't really care if they get upset by my plundering as it is simply part of the game and they can avoid it by simply being timely. People who are upset by something happening that they have full control to prevent are beyond my help so no need to worry about them becoming upset.

cbalto1927

You seem to believe you can read minds. That says something about people who believe that imho. I don't enjoy upsetting people however in this game I don't really care if they get upset by my plundering as it is simply part of the game and they can avoid it by simply being timely. People who are upset by something happening that they have full control to prevent are beyond my help so no need to worry about them becoming upset.

ever since the new neighborhood merge 2 weeks ago, there one player number 2 in H world attacks and plunders on daily basis. Since i now know his behavior and assuming his goal is just to attack everyone and plunder everyone regardless. Because of that kind of behavior, everyone simply stopped playing. As for myself just to check in for forge points collections. That player don't realized what he doing to the neighborhood. He does the same thing before the merge with other hoods. As long people in this form makes excuses of what he doing is right and it the game. Your wrong about that. Being collected on time isn't the valid excuse anymore. I have played this game for a long time. Develop good relations with the neighbors to advance in the game. I use combination of Neighbors, Friends and Guilds to get resources, tech, and other things. That is how you supposed to play the game. The whole point is to make your empire stronger. As being a strategist, how does plundering to get a 5 goods of wine for example would be a great addition to your supplies, where you could get alot more wines just by trading with other players and Guilds. I know some of you pointed out that i played by using diamonds, after reading the forms i changed the way i play. The whole point of the game is to have fun.

Mustapha00

There is absolutely zero doubt in my mind that some players do enjoy "greifing" other players, in large part so they can feel good about themselves.
I ran into this back when I played World of Warcraft. On most servers, you could level your character up to the mid-20s in zones which either made it very difficult or impossible for players from the opposing side to enter. However, once you got to the mid-20s level-wise, you had to venture into what was called "contest zones". A more accurate term would be "griefer zones". Players from the other side, most all at level cap and truly decked out in the best equipment, descended into the contest zones in order to kill characters who had precisely zero chance of defending themselves; a level 60 versus a level 25 would be roughly akin to having the New England Patriots play your local Pee Wee 70lb football team. There were plenty of zones where these high level players could have gone for a fair fight- and even received rewards for doing so- but, no, they chose this practice.
Now FoW is not WoW (and for that I am indeed grateful). I have no idea how prevalent greifing is here. But I have experienced high level (or at least high point) players attacking those who present no real challenge to them, and I have to wonder why, if there were other players more closely matched in relative strength, these players sought those who could offer to least competition to them.

cbalto1927

There is absolutely zero doubt in my mind that some players do enjoy "greifing" other players, in large part so they can feel good about themselves.
I ran into this back when I played World of Warcraft. On most servers, you could level your character up to the mid-20s in zones which either made it very difficult or impossible for players from the opposing side to enter. However, once you got to the mid-20s level-wise, you had to venture into what was called "contest zones". A more accurate term would be "griefer zones". Players from the other side, most all at level cap and truly decked out in the best equipment, descended into the contest zones in order to kill characters who had precisely zero chance of defending themselves; a level 60 versus a level 25 would be roughly akin to having the New England Patriots play your local Pee Wee 70lb football team. There were plenty of zones where these high level players could have gone for a fair fight- and even received rewards for doing so- but, no, they chose this practice.
Now FoW is not WoW (and for that I am indeed grateful). I have no idea how prevalent greifing is here. But I have experienced high level (or at least high point) players attacking those who present no real challenge to them, and I have to wonder why, if there were other players more closely matched in relative strength, these players sought those who could offer to least competition to them.

Agreed, As with plundering, in this game when you plunder you don't get alot of resources or coins. Plunder only allowed once in 24 hours span. It pretty much useless to plunder a one house, or one good. There are far better benefit if you trade for much more goods, coins. I have noticed that players generally would not help you if a player kept plundering. GB in this game requires alot of forge points to level up. It would make alot sense to have connections with other players to help you to level the GB. I hope the next neighborhood merge happens this Monday then it would in a better neighborhood i hope. I looked at the player's city and he not advancing, or even leveling up his GB's. It looks to me that he just there to plunder and mess the hell out of the game.

DeletedUser

I have played this game for a long time. Develop good relations with the neighbors to advance in the game. I use combination of Neighbors, Friends and Guilds to get resources, tech, and other things. That is how you supposed to play the game. The whole point is to make your empire stronger....The whole point of the game is to have fun.

Off and on, I've played FoE since the beginning. I play slightly differently in different worlds. (Look me up in 1, 2 and 19) In 19, I attack plenty and I plunder whenever I can. I attack for battle points which turn into ranking points more readily than coins/resources. My city becomes stronger. Since I'm attacking, I'd be a fool not to plunder as plundering not only gets me coins, supplies or goods but bps, too. Why turn down the chance to get a bp? I can sometimes pick up over 100 different goods just going through half the hood. Oh, and I get a whole pile of fun from plundering goods. Since the whole point of the game is to have fun, and I'm having fun playing the way I play, then plundering must be okay.

DeletedUser10517

You dont paint an accurate picture though......

In Wow.....what youre referring to is PvP.....player v player......and players have to Turn PvP combat on. 99% of WoW players play with PvP combat off....so no matter where you travel in WoW, another player can never ever attack you.

So its choice again.

If you are level 20 and choose to turn on PvP, then you have to take the rough with the smooth......if you dont like the rough....then turn it off.

It isnt the same situation as here at all.

cbalto1927

Off and on, I've played FoE since the beginning. I play slightly differently in different worlds. (Look me up in 1, 2 and 19) In 19, I attack plenty and I plunder whenever I can. I attack for battle points which turn into ranking points more readily than coins/resources. My city becomes stronger. Since I'm attacking, I'd be a fool not to plunder as plundering not only gets me coins, supplies or goods but bps, too. Why turn down the chance to get a bp? I can sometimes pick up over 100 different goods just going through half the hood. Oh, and I get a whole pile of fun from plundering goods. Since the whole point of the game is to have fun, and I'm having fun playing the way I play, then plundering must be okay.

i understand and accept that it is how you play. I am not advanced as you are. I am sure someday i would be in the same level as you. I guess we have different way of playing the game. I like the " Roman Empire" strategic style of play. Direct attack not only useful, but making alliances, building up your empire.

DeletedUser10517

Agreed, As with plundering, in this game when you plunder you don't get alot of resources or coins. Plunder only allowed once in 24 hours span. It pretty much useless to plunder a one house, or one good. There are far better benefit if you trade for much more goods, coins. I have noticed that players generally would not help you if a player kept plundering. GB in this game requires alot of forge points to level up. It would make alot sense to have connections with other players to help you to level the GB. I hope the next neighborhood merge happens this Monday then it would in a better neighborhood i hope. I looked at the player's city and he not advancing, or even leveling up his GB's. It looks to me that he just there to plunder and mess the hell out of the game.

Your problem is you dont read. People have posted lots of information on why he does what he does, and why it is NOT better to trade with a neighbour rather than plunder them......but you have ignored all the points raised.

I can imagine you starting to read a response, realise that it doesnt agree with your way of thinking after the first line, then you start shaking your head saying "Youre wrong, youre wrong"......and you make your mind up about the rest of the post without bothering to read it.

Most people would read the points and consider them before once again making a post saying exactly the same thing....which in essence is completely wrong.

You keep saying "there are better benefits other than plundering"..........no, there isnt.
Perspective.....
My Town at the start of my day is fully Mo/Po'd.......there are no more buildings left to Mo/Po because all my guild and friends have done it for me.......during the day, after Ive collected, any remaining guildmates and friends do any others.

So I dont need neighbours to Mo/Po me.

Trades........
I have more than enough people to trade with with my guild and friends........dont forget, you can have 140 friends, and pick and chose who you have.
Plus.....Trades only work if you put something up..........youre not getting any Goods free of charge.
The other thing to note is trading with Neighbours and Friends cost forge points......why waste forge points? Thats what a guild is for.

So neighbours dont help with Mo/Po.....and they dont help with Trading goods.

What else can they do? You cant give neighbours coins or supplies.

Neighbours are the only people in the game who you can attack............and attacking them gains you points. Those points help you get medals, which then go on to buy Expansions.....which are the most valuable commodity in the game.

Sure, I can get medals from GBs......but why on Earth would anyone give forge points to neighbours GBs rather than GBs in their own guild?? Or, if you need prints for higher buildings, having higher aged friends.

If you donate to your neighbours GBs........(other than those rare occasions where you can grab a top spot for less fps than the reward gives)........then more fool you.......you are only helping to strengthen other guilds.

Getting 10/20 or 30 goods from Neighbours, along with points = medals is by far more valuable than anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mustapha00

Ruby-

I played WoW many years ago and I'm guessing the "PvP button" was introduced since then because, I assure you, I had no such option available then (I want to say that the level cap at that time was....60?, so that tells you how long ago that was). I played with several IRL friends, and more than one of them point-blank told me that he enjoyed running into lowbie zones, slaughtering all the basically defenseless players, and then running when and if equal-level enemy players arrived.

The analogy to FoE would be, I guess, if the AID button prevented people you motivated/polished from being able to attack you for the duration of the M/P, or if there was a button that you could select that would make you immune to Plundering (if not attack).

cbalto1927

Ruby,

I have read the forums and the comments. I checked the player i was talking about on foedb.com site. That player all he does is fight. It looks like he just plays to fight not advancing.

DeletedUser8428

Ruby,

I have read the forums and the comments. I checked the player i was talking about on foedb.com site. That player all he does is fight. It looks like he just plays to fight not advancing.

Yes, but CB - that's a valid game strategy. There are a ton of players that don't work their way through the tech tree, preferring to work from an era that seems to be successful for them ... Not everyone views reaching the end of the tech tree 'success'

DeletedUser10076

Ruby,

Lol

Went to go check your 'bot" on foedb as well

1. 200kish points is about right for an active LMA fighter
2. He only plays one world, this gives him more time to concentrate on his strategy for empire.
3. If i we're you id start asking him to take you under his wing.

DeletedUser10517

Ruby-

I played WoW many years ago and I'm guessing the "PvP button" was introduced since then because, I assure you, I had no such option available then (I want to say that the level cap at that time was....60?, so that tells you how long ago that was). I played with several IRL friends, and more than one of them point-blank told me that he enjoyed running into lowbie zones, slaughtering all the basically defenseless players, and then running when and if equal-level enemy players arrived.

The analogy to FoE would be, I guess, if the AID button prevented people you motivated/polished from being able to attack you for the duration of the M/P, or if there was a button that you could select that would make you immune to Plundering (if not attack).

I played since the beginning and it has always been a Turn On/Turn off feature.

If you didnt know you could turn it off, thats a different matter, but i assure you it could be.