• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Short Story] Story of How One Got Here

DeletedUser23123

Not much happening in the late part of Spring of 2015. Sitting around the house that need work but, have no money. My girlfriend and I been doing work through the off season on the house of what little cash I have left. Got a part timer at a golf coarse after my other job want in a cut back spiral after 20 years. So, sitting here looking at the computer using the neighbor weak WiFi. Luckily I'm just mowing their yard for it.
Decide to look up old Atari game to play. Ya, I said it, Atari. I'm a 80's teen. Browsing around on an very slow hand-me-down laptop. I had everything that a computer needed for gaming back then(2 years ago). After the lay off. I had to sell it and even started shutting everything off to the point where the only bills I have is water and electric.
Well, anyway. After about 30 minutes of browsing. The laptop started freaking out and crashing. "That IT!" I said. I pulled out my old XP and want over a cousin place where he works on computers. He and I went through some old stuff and rebuild a new one.
Not a bad little computer. Duel Core 5200, Intel Graphic, 6gigs of ram and a 500Gb hard drive. With a Vista 64 software. Also, a 20 inch flat screen. That cost me. Two car tune up for him and his wife. They did buy the car parts.
Brought it home and it took me 5 (F@%$%&g) hours to get this crappy Vista to connect. Had to use tin foil for a extra boost. But, I'm back on. Taking a deep breath and started browsing again. Sort of got lost at why I did this in the first place. Then after a week of just popping in on news, weather and Facebook. I got bored again. "Ah", I said to myself. So, back to browsing for "Old Games". Then, I saw this. "Forge of Empires Free Online Strategy Game by InnoGames".
CLICK. Damn, more password stuff. Well needless to say. I just jump in. No checking on reviews or asking around about it. And, after about the first hour. I started getting into it. Mostly, I was just going to play by myself. Not getting involve with other players. Well, that didn't last. 8 month later. I have 2 worlds. One with my own Guild and Mates and join a Guild in the other one.
I made to High Middle Age with a loads of Coins, Supplies and not doing to bad with Goods. Now, if I can only get a mega load of Forge Points. it would go a lot smoother. Plus, figure out how to not annoy my girlfriend over this game. Thanks Innos. "What sweety. No I'm not busy." ;)

DeletedUser17558

I would say it was around spring of 2013 and I was taking the 40 hour Hazardous Material training to become qualified for my safety commitee. While on a break, I saw a guy jump on his laptop and open up FOE. I was curious and asked and he explained about the game. Being mildly OCD I was interested. Jumped on at home and tried it out and I think I have logged on literally every single day since then. My first goal was to be in the top 500, then get a million, then top 250, etc. At this point I am hovering around 125-130 and have over 10 million points. This game is addictive.

DeletedUser

I played browser games for years, but things like tribal wars, Ceasary, etc, but was sick to death of having to be on ALL the time to not lose cities. I happened to see an ad for this and clicked it. It was about the time GvG had just been introduced, and I was hooked. There are plenty of things to complain about, but when your tiny, underdeveloped guild makes bigger guilds cry, there is nothing better.

DeletedUser23123

I played browser games for years, but things like tribal wars, Ceasary, etc, but was sick to death of having to be on ALL the time to not lose cities. I happened to see an ad for this and clicked it. It was about the time GvG had just been introduced, and I was hooked. There are plenty of things to complain about, but when your tiny, underdeveloped guild makes bigger guilds cry, there is nothing better.
Still working on my Guilds. Filling up the treasure and getting military build up.

DeletedUser

late December 2013....i was just looking for some apps on google play, just stumbled upon this game know as Forge of Empires, thought id try it out for 5-10 mins. those 5 mins turned into hours pretty quick...sometimes 15 hours a day i was playing this game!!! met some wonderful ppl from all over the world, never ever thought id be so addicted to this game.:D literally there hasn't been a single day in 3+ years i haven't logged in
I have finished FE on my main server(BETA) and still love the game as much as i did in those starting days!:)

and finally a bit sad to see some Guildmates leave the game...without them i probably would have quit this game:(

DeletedUser8428

I started out just before Tanmay16 - October 2013. Never played a browser-based game before, :) the last electronic game I played was PAC Man! I struggled mightily in the beginning. I lurked in the forum, started asking questions privately of those that seemed to know what they were doing. Although I didn't post about it often, I was one of those who was really ticked off about attack/plunder. And being attacked at all by higher ages made me nuts. I spent a lot of time talking with long-term plunderers.

.. and thanks to them, the penny FINALLY dropped - THIS is the game. The game is attack/plunder, regardless of how many ages it is. If you hate this core aspect of the game, get over it and find another game. That's when I started protecting myself better (pick up your stuff on time), making progress and enjoying the game. I still don't attack/plunder, but I don't begrudge those who do - they're playing the game within the rules.

Early on, I also made friends with some of the highest-rank players on my world by simply sending them a friend invite. Once they were in my friends list, I felt comfortable messaging them and asking them questions - 'how do you', 'when do you', and 'how do I adjust for 2 lane roads'. They are a GREAT resource

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The ad for it kept popping up on YouTube videos. It started to look kind of interesting, and finally I was like, "What the hey?" and installed it on my phone. I don't usually spend a long time playing at once, but I usually check on it about a dozen times a day.