• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

strategic efficient military planning

DeletedUser40061

although now iam using more stronger armies such as heavy armored units. i can see -as noted in foe military guide..

"here are 1 or 2 battles that you need to face in the Continent Map that cannot be beaten with just an 8 archer army. For these battles, we advise long-ranged units."

iam in EMA, soon to get to LMA. which ones would be efficient in battles in C map/GE?...i had thought maybe 8 unit catapults...or 4 cats and 4 knights.. or 2 cats, 2 trebuchets and the rest rogue and knights. the goal is to avoid defeat. but then again, in an impossible quest, to not be wiped out. because most army uits from EMA and LMA take up a lot of resources to re create them in time for battle again. and im always running low on supplies.

also noted in the military guide :

"When it comes to upgrading, Crossbowmen provide new benefits to archers in regards to damage and also in their defense. They frequently receive a 2-hit just like archers, but sometimes require 3 hits to be destroyed. The downside is in their range, which is only 5. Archers, on the other hand, have a more promising range of 6. The lower range of Crossbowmen should not distract you however, and once you unlock crossbowmen, they should become your focus. Sell off your archery ranges and build 3 or 4 crossbow ranges. More if you frequently fight. For the most part, 3 will be sufficient."

maybe i should invest more in CBMs. but still use knights and cats too.

source:
https://www.forgeofempirestips.com/military-guide/

DeletedUser30312

That advice goes only up to CA and calls it the "end game" That looks like it's a very old FoE site from the game's early days and thus the advice is going to be rather outdated. I don't know if GBs were even around when that was written, that includes GBs with attack bonuses. In any case, the early GBs only went to level 10. Presumably this was maybe pre-Traz, so no easy unattached unit generation. Definitely before Rogue Hideouts, thus the reliance on ranged units. No event buildings with attack boosts.

Generally these days, a typical military strategy goes like this:

1 Heavy + 7 Rogues. This is the main tank strategy, quite literally from PE onwards when the Heavy units are actual tanks. Heavies have the best defense and soak damage pretty well, they are also good at dealing out damage. They do have a downside of being slow. However, Rogues mitigate that fairly well, since they have a better movement range early in the game so you can move them far on the first round and they'll be in a good position to attack once transformed. Rogues also work as decoys because the AI targets them first, basically wasting it. Up to CA, typically a unit will hit a Rogue at close range and transform it, at which point the transformed unit will counter and damage the unit as well. From Indy onwards, units attack at range, so you can no longer rely on the counters, and PE changes the map scale so the Rogue generally has a worse range than the age's units. But event then, for most of the game Rogues with Heavies are a pretty reliable strategy unless the opposing army is heavily composed of units that have advantages against Heavies.

1 Fast + 7 Rogues. Heavies lose to Ranged units up through Indy however. So you don't want to use them against Ranged or Artillery. Fast units however, have an advantage against Ranged and Artillery units, so use them instead of Heavies.

8 Ranged or mixed Ranged/Artillery. If the opposing army is mostly all Heavies, then use a Ranged strategy. Ranged units have an advantage against Heavies and will inflict more damage on them, so just hammer away at them while they crawl towards you.

There's a more recent guide here that shows the basic unit relationships here:

https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/attacking-with-troops-basics.16670/

That works up through Industrial. Once you hit PE things change and get a bit more complicated with each unit type being strong against two types of units rather than one. Somewhere around or past FE I think combat has another shift, but I've never played that high. But that link should do well for where you're at. Also keep in mind the AI works differently on the Continent Map! Normally, the AI will try to transform Rogues first, thus the use as decoys. On the map, the AI will pile on the closest unit instead, so Rogues are harder to use as decoys.

Jern2017

I'm in the Modern Era. I generally use one light unit plus seven Rogues, or one heavy unit plus seven Rogues.

One of the exceptions was a few days ago, when a neighbor set up a defense consisting of eight light units (Bazooka Teams) and I attacked with one fast unit (Mechanized Infantry) plus seven Rogues, as the MI has an attack/defense boost against light units.

I use light units in PVP, as they have higher attack than heavy units. In PVP, I rarely come across a neighbor with a very high attack boost, but high defense boosts are common.

When fighting in the GE, I use heavy units, because the attack boost of the enemy units there is high, especially in GE IV. I can kill a unit with two hits with both light and heavy units, but since the opponent's attack boost is high, I lose more light units, whereas my heavy units take a shot or two more to kill.

DeletedUser30312

Yes, Light Units have their uses too. In the early ages, I didn't find them to be all that great because they could occasionally die fast. CA Rangers and Indy Jaegers are pretty good because of Stealth. Bazooka Teams do have a good attack rating but they're fairly slow, and they require Trenches for defense boosts, and those can be somewhat rare. I like using Commandos against tough enemies because they can hit hard and they go back to forest-based defense and Stealth, and the Stealth really helps when everything on the battlefield will tend to have ranged attacks.

Anyway, he's still in the Middle Ages, so this stuff is past where he's at.

DeletedUser40061

Wish had more rogues. During playback of an attack, opponent's rogues magically transformed into other units..very cool effects. Need at least 10. If lucky i would win 10x rogues in GE or other