• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Student suspended for refusing to wear RFID chip in school

DeletedUser22

A Texas high school student is being suspended for refusing to wear a student ID card implanted with a radio-frequency identification chip.

Northside Independent School District in San Antonio began issuing the RFID-chip-laden student-body cards when the semester began in the fall. The ID badge has a bar code associated with a student’s Social Security number, and the RFID chip monitors pupils’ movements on campus, from when they arrive until when they leave.

The suspended student, sophomore Andrea Hernandez, was notified by the Northside Independent School District in San Antonio that she won’t be able to continue attending John Jay High School unless she wears the badge around her neck, which she has been refusing to do. The district said the girl, who objects on privacy and religious grounds, beginning Monday would have to attend another high school in the district that does not yet employ the RFID tags.

(source: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/11/student-suspension/)

Any thoughts on this?

DeletedUser

According to the linked website, that suspension was itself suspended, "pending further hearings".

Personally, I think it is an invasion of the students' privacy. Does a high school really need to know the exact whereabouts of every student? And, if they feel that need is justified, what are they going to do with that information? "Lucy, we can see that you visit the bathroom more often than your peers. Do you need to see the school nurse?" "George and John, it seems you spend a lot of time together. We have a counselor available for that." (This being Texas and all.)
The next logical step would be to implant a chip. :p

And if the privacy issue isn't sufficient, how about the lack of trust? Every single student in that school is getting the clear message that he or she is untrustworthy. That's not a message you want to deliver to teens.

DeletedUser

The Hernandez family, which is Christian, told InfoWars that the sophomore is declining to wear the badge because it signifies Satan, or the Mark of the Beast warning in Revelations 13: 16-18.

Some people...

DeletedUser3

While I agree it's a privacy issue, and thus should not be mandatory, what bothers me more is this:

"Radio-frequency identification devices are a daily part of the electronic age — found in passports, and library and payment cards. Eventually they’re expected to replace bar-code labels on consumer goods. Now schools across the nation are slowly adopting them as well."

How many of you know your passport and credit cards are carrying around RFID chips? It's news to me and, quite frankly, I deem it a gross invasion of privacy (assuming it's true).

DeletedUser

"Radio-frequency identification devices are a daily part of the electronic age — found in passports, and library and payment cards. Eventually they’re expected to replace bar-code labels on consumer goods. Now schools across the nation are slowly adopting them as well."

How many of you know your passport and credit cards are carrying around RFID chips? It's news to me and, quite frankly, I deem it a gross invasion of privacy (assuming it's true).
RFID chips have been mandatory in new US passports since late 2006. Link relevant: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/910f/

DeletedUser1692

Ughh. I think it's a horrid breach of privacy and lack of trust in schools. You choose to have a credit card (even if it may not always seem optional) but if the authorities can suspend you for disagreeing on being spied on...bad news.
Particularly reminds me of a portion of a favorite novel, by Cory Doctorow, Little Brother. In it the protagonist nukes a library book for the RFID chip, disguises his gait with gravel to evade the gait recognition, and skips school ;).

Liberty

While I agree it's a privacy issue, and thus should not be mandatory, what bothers me more is this:

Yeah, it's true.

Yay for Bush Jr and the neocon movement...

It's bigger than that, Hellstromm.

Last edited:

DeletedUser3911

A Texas high school student is being suspended for refusing to wear a student ID card implanted with a radio-frequency identification chip.

Northside Independent School District in San Antonio began issuing the RFID-chip-laden student-body cards when the semester began in the fall. The ID badge has a bar code associated with a student’s Social Security number, and the RFID chip monitors pupils’ movements on campus, from when they arrive until when they leave.

The suspended student, sophomore Andrea Hernandez, was notified by the Northside Independent School District in San Antonio that she won’t be able to continue attending John Jay High School unless she wears the badge around her neck, which she has been refusing to do. The district said the girl, who objects on privacy and religious grounds, beginning Monday would have to attend another high school in the district that does not yet employ the RFID tags.

(source: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/11/student-suspension/)

Any thoughts on this?

I must have checked out for the past 7 years... I been overseas, really can't imagine in my life time, that such a huge enslavement of mankind is happening. To track, monitor another individuals movement, economic trends, thoughts for the sake of the grater good, is nothing less the loss of the human soul. Here as a people we have lost what it is to be free, freedom comes at a cost of individual sacrifice, but not sacrifice of the human person being enslaved by motorization devices. People are so obsessed with saving children from possible threat of being killed, that they are willing to forgo their ability to live. Part of living is the risk of death, and the freedom to move without others monitoring you. I won't get too religious but this is Ar Magedon. The time of the end where people must chose the god of technology over the god of the human spirit... If we lose this war we are know longer a human being...

DeletedUser

I'll tell you what...what's happening goes way deeper than them just wanting to know where your at....I'm just waiting for the moment that they state getting a chip implanted in your body is mandatory. that's when I'm going to leave this country. And if you were smart, you would too.

DeletedUser3911

I'll tell you what...what's happening goes way deeper than them just wanting to know where your at....I'm just waiting for the moment that they state getting a chip implanted in your body is mandatory. that's when I'm going to leave this country. And if you were smart, you would too.

I have my exit plan already! Its a place where there is little local government and control. Some place where some one won't track my every movement. If it gets as bad as I think it will, time to change the stripes on the flag to a neo Nazi symbol. I live in a great state its moto is live free or die, what part of that sounds like, I give permission for government to watch my every move. Even more so my child, that choice is even more a concern, that the choose is taken from the guardian of these children. If I want my child tracked that my call. Oh by the way do you think child predictors will be able to hack into these systems, track a child, take out the device and now what. What is the point of this, its less protection not more.

DeletedUser

I live in a great state its moto is live free or die, what part of that sounds like, I give permission for government to watch my every move. Even more so my child, that choice is even more a concern, that the choose is taken from the guardian of these children. If I want my child tracked that my call. Oh by the way do you think child predictors will be able to hack into these systems, track a child, take out the device and now what. What is the point of this, its less protection not more.
Your argument is absurd. It is the equivalent of claiming that seat belts are unsafe, since it is possible they become caught around your neck during a car crash, resulting in death. In reality, seat belts save more lives than they end, and reduce the net risk of irreparable injury. Just because it is possible child predators could hack a tracking system to kidnap a child, it is similarly possible that a properly secured tracking system could help locate and free a kidnapped child. Unless you can produce statistics or other evidence showing that RFID technology in schools or general society poses a security risk more substantial than its security benefits, it is fallacious to claim otherwise based on anecdotes, particularly those that are merely hypothetical.

DeletedUser

Unless you can produce statistics or other evidence showing that RFID technology in schools or general society poses a security risk more substantial than its security benefits, it is fallacious to claim otherwise based on anecdotes, particularly those that are merely hypothetical.

Fact: ANYONE can hack any RFID chip with a standard Laptop computer and the proper software, which, by the way, can be downloaded from almost 1000 different sites. This is one reason that I don't have a passport, credit card, ATM card or any other object that may have an RFID chip in it. Once a hacker, and they don't have to be a sophisticated hacker, hacks into one of those chips and downloads all your information, you may as well kiss your assets goodbye cause they'll drain you bank accounts, make a duplicate charge card with your information and a name that they choose. There goes your credit history faster than an ex-wife can destroy. Don't believe me, as a hacker that has experience in this area and they'll tell you, if they are honest about it, that you are dust if someone hits your data.

DeletedUser1972

How about this one..

As part of a class assignment these days. one class I attend wants students (College level) to post their actual real resumes online for all other students in the class to view, comment on, give advice on..talk about unethical request by a teacher. It's no one's business what's on your resume, EXCEPT a prospective employer. This teach is the head of the department in which students have to do a practicum, for the degree, and so she wants resumes attached to the practicum application, but to ask them to post them fro open viewing is a grievous breach on their personal information. I don't need some creepy stalker latching on to my personal info or having my addres announced openly that way. Teachers will not stop abusing their power, and stretching the limits of twhat they have a right to do, or make you do, until we fight back.

DeletedUser11463

Ve vant to know vere you are at all times. Ve are ze gubmint and we must control ze sheeple. If ve train you young zen you vill be more open to full control ven you are adults. Velcome to ze new Amerika! Ze Constitution no longer applies!

DeletedUser

I work in a tertiary institution and there have been a lot of discussions about implementing IDs with those chips. They have met with fierce resistance, surprisingly from many lecturers. The main idea behind the usage of IDs with RFID chips is to monitor "hot zones" on campus and with a view to better allocate funds and resources. So if many students use a particular building but it doesn't have lots of facilities such as car parks, wifi hotspots, etc., then they can use the data to support upgrading those facilities.

Several lecturers deemed it the most gross invasion of their privacy since they do not at all support the idea of being tracked as they move around campus. I have no real issue with it, because if you are where you're supposed to be, you have no worries. Regarding the original student, before you begin a school, you are issued with the rules. The ID wasn't a sudden thing, and if she and her family didn't want or support the idea of it, why did they bother enrolling her there in the first place?

DeletedUser11463

I work in a tertiary institution and there have been a lot of discussions about implementing IDs with those chips. They have met with fierce resistance, surprisingly from many lecturers. The main idea behind the usage of IDs with RFID chips is to monitor "hot zones" on campus and with a view to better allocate funds and resources. So if many students use a particular building but it doesn't have lots of facilities such as car parks, wifi hotspots, etc., then they can use the data to support upgrading those facilities.

Several lecturers deemed it the most gross invasion of their privacy since they do not at all support the idea of being tracked as they move around campus. I have no real issue with it, because if you are where you're supposed to be, you have no worries. Regarding the original student, before you begin a school, you are issued with the rules. The ID wasn't a sudden thing, and if she and her family didn't want or support the idea of it, why did they bother enrolling her there in the first place?

"If you are where you are supposed to be, you have no worries" Orwell's 1984 loves people like this. "What's wrong with camera's watching your every move? As long as you aren't doing anything illegal, you have no worries."

Except with the tens of thousands of laws on the books, who in Amerika today can say they haven't broken any rules???