• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Supply Building Efficiently

DeletedUser28400

You might look at a Blacksmith's supplies per hour and look at a fruit farm's supplies per hour and determine that the fruit farm is superior. You're not wrong, but you're not fully right. For me, supplies are hard to come by at times, so I like to make as much as possible. In this thread I will explain how to make supplies efficiently.

Note: I am only covering up to Iron Age.

As I said before, Blacksmiths make 32ph (per hour) and Fruit farms make 130ph. At first glance, Fruit farms seems like the better option, but is bigger. Here are the sph and the sizes of the suppliers.

Stone Age
Hunter - 34ph taking up a 3X3 space

Bronze Age
Pottery - 50ph taking up a 4X3 space
Fruit farm - 130ph taking up a 5X4 space
Blacksmith - 32ph taking up a 2X2 space

Iron Age
Goat farm - 220ph taking up a 4X5 space
Butcher - 160ph taking up a 4X3 space
Tailor - 360ph taking up a 3X4 space

To find out the most efficient supplier, I needed to find out the area of a building the supplies per square.

Note: Any decimals might not be the exact amount to simplify the results.

Stone Age
Hunter - 3.7ps (per square) with an area of 9

Bronze Age
Pottery - 4.1ps with an area of 12
Fruit farm - 6.5ps with an area of 20
Blacksmith - 8ps with an area of 4

Iron Age
Goat farm - 13ps with an area of 20
Butcher - 13.3ps with an area of 12
Tailor - 30ps with an area of 12

Obviously the premium supplier is the best. and it seems the order of least to greatest follows the order they are in research, as of what I've seen. It's also surprising how the blacksmith is the best in bronze age, at it make the least per hour in bronze age, but also only takes up a 2x2 space.

Final Note: My research is based on the the amount the suppliers make in an hour. I have not tested this on any other time by I believe the results would be exact or near to exact, assuming the programmers made the supplier times balanced with the other suppliers. Also to get the maximum efficiency you'd need to set it to 5 minutes, as that is the option with the highest output compared with the equivalent of the other times (If you didn't understand that, a blacksmith makes 5 for 5 minutes and 13 for 15 minutes. If you just did the 5 minute option 3 times you'd have 15 instead of 13). But I'd say most people don't have the time to collect and restart every 5 minutes. Doing that is also not seamless and choosing a longer time is just more convenient. My research doesn't cover 5 minute as well so results might vary.

DeletedUser25273

To complete the analysis, you should add in an estimate of the area needed for the other requirements for the building. For example, all these buildings need a road. In general, if you are going to assume multiple buildings, I cost out the space for 1 lane roads as 1/2 the shortest side (since the road will hopefully be shared with whatever is on the other side of the road).

The next thing to add, is to meet the population requirement, needing both houses to provide the population, and happiness to keep the people happy so you get full production. Again, the houses for population will need roads, as will any cultural buildings used. This will add some complications to the analysis, as you will find that as you progress through the tech tree, your Blacksmiths become a bit more effective, as they use less space due to better houses becoming available.

DeletedUser28400

To complete the analysis, you should add in an estimate of the area needed for the other requirements for the building. For example, all these buildings need a road. In general, if you are going to assume multiple buildings, I cost out the space for 1 lane roads as 1/2 the shortest side (since the road will hopefully be shared with whatever is on the other side of the road).

The next thing to add, is to meet the population requirement, needing both houses to provide the population, and happiness to keep the people happy so you get full production. Again, the houses for population will need roads, as will any cultural buildings used. This will add some complications to the analysis, as you will find that as you progress through the tech tree, your Blacksmiths become a bit more effective, as they use less space due to better houses becoming available.

To do this would be like making a guide on the whole game itself. I was only interested in improving my supply system as the one I have (or had) is flawed.