• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Swap threads. A terrible idea.

DeletedUser26965

No worries, nothing you do is as good. Why should trolling be any different :p .

How's the shower going? Remember to use soap. Maybe even Brillo. Avoid sandpaper unless strictly necessary :) .
Whatever clown, my record is available for all to see in all its glorious usefulness, it speaks for itself.

DeletedUser31882

Yet, virtually everyone has the same opinion on your flatulent post. Brevity is a sign of intelligence, long winded redundant, boring posts aren't. So, why don't you listen to what virtually everyone is telling you and shorten your post so people will read it. It's not just me telling you this, so why don't you listen and actually get people to read your posts, instead of being aghast at how long it is, on something that's a fairly simple topic?

Academics would like a word with you!

Then again, you may be onto something with the flatulence and redundancy.

You could never approach a fraction of what I have provided by way of useful posts on this forum because, well that's not what trolls do. But you keep on projecting sunshine cuz it's all you got.

*slaps SJS's hand* Don't ride around on your high horse while feeding someone you judge a troll! Unless your riding a unicorn, then you may carry on because the mental image that evokes is a testament to the madness of the forum. Or something.

You know, length of your post aside, why would anyone read past this? First, it's FoE, and second, that is the worst definition of sniping I've seen since someone thought sniping meant leveling someone else's GB. I'm not going to waste my time with the rest of your post, because what sniping is has to be the foundation for any discussion of it, and you apparently don't know what it is.

~Complains about the worst definition of sniping.
~Doesn't share their definition of sniping.

More Trolling from the Shanks. Disappointing.

This should be a fun read.

I'm beginning to wonder if I really do want to debate this. You're obviously a bit over my head and I"m afraid you could somehow convince me the sun doesn't shine.

Hrmm... Perhaps I'm the one in need of change. If I have that much power, I should use it more sparingly.

I'm going to pour over your thoughts here and think about them. I will say this much, you bring up one point that I may be willing to concede: The argument has little to do with what is the "fairest" and most economical way, etc... to get things done, rather it might have more to do with how people perceive things. If they perceive things as being unfair it doesn't really matter if it's true or not. They will revolt, or quit, or what have you...

I'm going to differ to @Claire the Divergent . I think they captured the core of what I was going for, without delving too deep into the complexities. Numbers don't lie, but feelings can control what is mandated as fair and how the numbers are interpreted.

To make my stance more concrete: I think no-sniping rule is fine, if it cuts down on guild drama and is meant to promote cooperation. If a group of individuals want to enjoy the contribution race to it's fullest, the no-snipe rule can go out the window. Worst case scenario: Collusion of high-ranking guild members to snipe swap threads under the smoke screen of no-snipe rules.

DeletedUser28132

As SJS alludes to earlier: Who gets to define the differences between good or bad? Is it a strict binary switch or are there shades of grey? Is it selfish for someone to demand their family take care of them when they have lost the ability to take care of themselves or is it selfish for the family to contract the care to an institution?

I believe you are misunderstanding the intent of SJS. If I'm not mistaken, SJS is referring to how hard it is to tell if a snipe even occurred because there are too many ways to define snipe and more important, too many ways to game the rule. Simply tip off an outsider that your GB is ready.

This is the most important question for anyone who considers implementing a no sniping rule. Understanding who can use the system to their benefit and track that will help leadership root out the bad actors versus the earnest mistakes. When someone argues you 'just know' the right thing or some other abstract 'feeling' argument, then you should be wary of that leadership's intent. Intuition can be a wonderful tool, but it lacks the analytical intelligence to support and keep the people in power from making mistakes, or worse, abusing their power.

A very strong argument against the No Sniping rule.

To augment JCera & Stephen's side of the argument: Swap threads allows for a hybrid contribution race; It is controlled and overseen by guild leadership and laid back to promote team-building over cutthroat profiteering.

I have a problem with your referring to the very beneficial act of paying for a reward position and bumping down someone who paid nothing as "cutthroat profiteering". Would you say the same about virtually every item on earth that is sold?

This is why the 'No-sniping' portion is implemented, to stamp out profiteering between guildies and direct it towards hoodies or 'enemy' guilds.

This is OSTENSIBLY why the no sniping rule in implemented. In reality, it does nothing of the sort. It does occasionally work, but at a greater cost than the benefit it provides, and also, as discussed at length, it can and is easily worked around. I believe I prove it hurts the smaller players more than it helps them by providing a false promise of "help".

Unfair feelings is where a lot of drama can spawn from, so it makes sense to erect systems that help minimize it.

This is the crux of the matter. I agree with this, of course. It's obviously true, but does the No Snipe Rule help this issue or hurt it? I believe it hurts it and only provides a false sense of security that we care about our "family", all the while providing a bonanza for the bigger player to get their positions for free.

Free Trade systems are less empathetic, as they focus on the numbers game with little regard to feelings of 'fair'. This is why we see many defensive arguments revolving around team-work, family and feeling based put-downs to opposing viewpoints.

Two things: A win/win transaction is more sympathetic than a win/loss transaction, so free trade wins here. Math. Second, I believe the defensive arguments spawn from the illusion that that something was promised for free and was not delivered. I added this analogy since you last read my post, but if you had people line up for a chance to get your car for free if it doesn't sell, of course they are going to be mad at the person that comes along and buys the car. It's all perception and human nature, but the reality is nothing was lost. There was no harm.

Even filthyhorse has waded into the feelings side of the equation by speaking to the 'negative' tone that sniping brings and framing arguments as good/bad in their attempt to convince others.

This is laughable. Are you suggesting I'm human?

That's the internet and humanity for you. 10% nuggets of wisdom, 90% garbage spewing. I try to average 13% nuggets myself.

lol. You're very magnanimous, Sir.

DeletedUser26965

*slaps SJS's hand* Don't ride around on your high horse while feeding someone you judge a troll! Unless your riding a unicorn, then you may carry on because the mental image that evokes is a testament to the madness of the forum. Or something.
Yes, might get pulled down into the slop and splash it all over my unicorn;

images

DeletedUser28132

You again fail to understand what objective and subjective is.

And no, your posts are very pedestrian, and without any insight. I'm sure you think they're useful, but really, without any insight, they aren't. It's not your fault.

lol, this is good stuff. I need some popcorn.

DeletedUser26965

lol, this is good stuff. I need some popcorn.
Yes, he's great for that, like;

upload_2018-5-22_14-32-1.jpeg

not good for much else though, sometimes I think I subconsciously get him going just to see what he'll come up with next lol.

Meanwhile while he's flinging poop I get praises uplifting the FoE community;

Excellent Great FAQ! I guess I'm a Normy.

13a1000fac2e5e97d149c81ea27fe8ac.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ta 152H

Yes, he's great for that, like;

View attachment 10190

not good for much else though, sometimes I think I subconsciously get him going just to see what he'll come up with next lol.

Meanwhile while he's flinging poop I get praises uplifting the FoE community;

13a1000fac2e5e97d149c81ea27fe8ac.jpg

I haven't flung you yet :p.

Uplifting? First, your posts are banal, contrived, and unoriginal. But after that, I have nothing good to say about them :p.

Also, that you point to that, it shows you are depending on this forum too much, and that's why your posts suck. Dude, get out of here for a bit, stop responding to every post, and get a life outside of here. Seriously. Come here as a distraction from something else, and you'll be much happier. I deleted my whole account at one time because I was spending too much time here(well, in game), so I'm not even judging you in a bad way. Stop living here and the quality of your vapid posts will improve, and the quality of your life will improve.

This is fun as a distraction, but not as a lifestyle. By the way, did you need sandpaper, or was the Brillo enough?

DeletedUser34800

What is going on in here?

This forum is so ridiculous sometimes. It's like a bad soap opera. Not that there's really a good one....

Anyways, sniping is a matter of opinion. If a guild doesn't care, it gets done. If they do care, they enforce rules.

There's way too many people playing and way too many guilds for it to really matter. Just join one who's rules you agree with or create one yourself.

DeletedUser29726

Good post (yeah, it could still be shorter) with solid logic. However, IMO there is no right or wrong answer here, it's more an issue of what individual players want. If you want a family style or touchy-feely guild then sniping should be discouraged despite the fact they leave things open for outsider snipes and are less efficient. If you prefer efficiency, a no sniping guild is obviously the way to go.

However, in both cases there might be middle ground. I'm in a guild with no rule against sniping but show restraint when people need prints for OBS and other GBs, and when they have obviously invested a lot of the way to the prize. Nothing generates animosity in a guild like sniping, even in one that clearly has no rule against it so our high Arc owners all try to show some restraint (most of us also give 1.9s when we do snipe, so there is no argument about the efficiency of our snipes when we do it).

And in a guild with a no-sniping rule, the costs to level for the GB owner can get horribly out of control without sniping. In those cases, someone should snipe them to put them out of their misery.

Part of the issue is once you've reached the point where you've decided you have to make a decision on the matter you have people in two camps and are likely to lose some from one or the other whatever you do.

Camp 1: People who've already developed strongly and are already sniping. Also people who aren't there yet but understand the math and hope to use it to their advantage to get there quicker.
Camp 2: People who will never be that strong, don't get the math, and want to be in a situation where they can get the big rewards anyways regardless of its inefficiency.

In my eyes the right decision is always to side with efficiency. Put some bounds on sniping if you want (like a particular minimum % that's the guild rule), but don't outlaw it completely. Do your best to explain to the folks in camp 2 who don't get it how they can take advantage of it. Accept the loss of the ones who just won't get it and create drama over it.

It's far easier to explain a position that is sound to those who don't get it than to explain an irrational position to those who do.

DeletedUser28132

I didn't realize that I needed to educate you. Sniping is when someone without a significant donation presence on a GB swoops in at the last moment (or creates that last moment by virtue of their donation) and dumps a large amount of FP to lock in a/the top reward spot.
That is essentially the same explanation I gave except you used verbiage to favor your argument and your explanation is not as complete as mine. A snipe does not need to be last moment, does not always require a dump of a large amount of fps, nor does one need to not have a significant "presence" on a GB in order to snipe. A snipe can occur with just one fp when both players have 3000 fp each on the same GB. Thank you for your reply.

DeletedUser31308

In my eyes the right decision is always to side with efficiency. Put some bounds on sniping if you want (like a particular minimum % that's the guild rule), but don't outlaw it completely. Do your best to explain to the folks in camp 2 who don't get it how they can take advantage of it. Accept the loss of the ones who just won't get it and create drama over it.
This is definitely the "smart" thing to do. Some people, however, are willing to sacrifice their own progression and efficiency in order to foster a stronger sense of community. I say let them flock together, since it's their right to enjoy the game how they wish, and don't worry about trying to make them feel comfortable in a guild that actually intends to be competitive.

Edit: I guess smart might not be the best term here. It assumes wanting efficiency is a smart characteristic, and I'm not sure I can prove that.

DeletedUser28132

Part of the issue is once you've reached the point where you've decided you have to make a decision on the matter you have people in two camps and are likely to lose some from one or the other whatever you do.

Camp 1: People who've already developed strongly and are already sniping. Also people who aren't there yet but understand the math and hope to use it to their advantage to get there quicker.
Camp 2: People who will never be that strong, don't get the math, and want to be in a situation where they can get the big rewards anyways regardless of its inefficiency.

It's far easier to explain a position that is sound to those who don't get it than to explain an irrational position to those who do.

This is the first sound argument I have ever heard in favor of the rule. Thank you. I still disagree. lol

DeletedUser28132

This is definitely the "smart" thing to do. Some people, however, are willing to sacrifice their own progression and efficiency in order to foster a stronger sense of community. I say let them flock together, since it's their right to enjoy the game how they wish, and don't worry about trying to make them feel comfortable in a guild that actually intends to be competitive.
This is an excellent point, Thru. Did you see this, Claire? ;)

DeletedUser28132

What is going on in here?

This forum is so ridiculous sometimes. It's like a bad soap opera. Not that there's really a good one....

Anyways, sniping is a matter of opinion. If a guild doesn't care, it gets done. If they do care, they enforce rules.

There's way too many people playing and way too many guilds for it to really matter. Just join one who's rules you agree with or create one yourself.
I certainly agree with your first point, M9, but I think I disagree with the second, at least the way I'm taking it. Just because trolls come in who want to squash debate doesn't mean it's not healthy, and sometimes very necessary to debate an issue.

Woody*

This is OSTENSIBLY why the no sniping rule in implemented. In reality, it does nothing of the sort. It does occasionally work, but at a greater cost than the benefit it provides, and also, as discussed at length, it can and is easily worked around. I believe I prove it hurts the smaller players more than it helps them by providing a false promise of "help"

People will define how often it works differently..."occasionally" to you might be "often", or "often enough" for other people to accept the downsides of such a rule. While we agree that a no sniping rule is unenforceable, it doesn't prevent some people choosing that route and being happier playing the game that way. Even brilliant people could choose a more "family-style" approach than one they might view as cutthroat. It is a game after all, and everyone should play the way that makes it fun for them. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

Maximizing efficiency is what drives me. I run numbers to see whether leveling my CdM or Cape from 69 to 70 is more efficient, etc. But I'm won't criticize people that have fun playing this game a different way (the only exception is in-game jerks).

DeletedUser28132

People will define how often it works differently..."occasionally" to you might be "often", or "often enough" for other people to accept the downsides of such a rule. While we agree that a no sniping rule is unenforceable, it doesn't prevent some people choosing that route and being happier playing the game that way. Even brilliant people could choose a more "family-style" approach than one they might view as cutthroat. It is a game after all, and everyone should play the way that makes it fun for them. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

Maximizing efficiency is what drives me. I run numbers to see whether leveling my CdM or Cape from 69 to 70 is more efficient, etc. But I'm won't criticize people that have fun playing this game a different way (the only exception is in-game jerks).
Excellent points, don't get me wrong, but what I find doesn't belong in a debate over whether something is good or bad is how it makes people feel. My discussion is just about if the rule is a good one or a bad one. Whether or not people want to implement it is an entire one all together. Communism has failed everywhere it's tried. I'm not trying to prohibit communism, I'm just debating whether or not it's a good idea. If anyone wants to go and form a commune. for example, by all means, do it (so long as there is the freedom to leave when you want). I'm not making a moral judgement, just one of good policy or bad. I am not attempting to prohibit the Fair Trade Rule, just discuss its efficiency and/or harmfulness. Obviously, I find it more harmful than good. AND IF PEOPLE WANT TO GO AND RUIN THE FUN OF THIS GAME, WHO AM I TO ARGUE!?