• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Swaps vs 1.9 (or 1.8)

DeletedUser28991

Same problem here. What proved effective was a comparison of GB cost vs. method for self levelling, swap lists and 1.9. Also we needed a bit of time for everyone to become familiar with it. I think 1.9 is now firmly established, though the swaps remain popular with low level players and it took a few months. It seems clear that pretty much everyone who has levelled a arc to 80 is sold on the 1.9 list, and thinks swaps are stupid, except for a few usages. A comparison:

1. Start with self levelling as the base method, which nobody does. The cost is GB Total cost. Very expensive.
  2. Next we try swaps. The cost to level you GB that way is still the total cost of the GB. The only difference is we get back some rewards at your arc level. So the net cost is Total GB cost - rewards * your arc bonus.
  3. Finally, we try a 1.9 list. In this case, the cost will be Total GB cost - rewards * level 80 arc bonus.

The rewards term is not totally the same. For the swapper case it is the average reward for all the GBs you invest in while levelling up your GB, whereas in the 1.9 case the rewards term is the rewards from your own GB. We can guess these will be pretty comparable terms for the average GB. If your arc is nearly level 80, this difference may be important. For the vast unwashed masses with little to no arc, the arc 80 advantage should make the 1.9 list a clear win. That should be enough to get the math heads on board.

I personally don’t buy the FP pack argument made by swappers. You don’t need FP packs for the self funded portion of the 1.9 list, which is the part they would be doing. You also don’t need packs to get GB goods. Just find a supplier who is a little patient. Same goes for tech, etc. Your really only need packs to be a 1.9 Donor, and that shouldn’t be attempted until the arc is big. At that point dumping daily production or coins into 1.9 donations should reasonably quickly create a FP pack stockpile. Until that point, it isn’t needed.

Players do need BPs. One method is to encourage senior donors to stop funding positions 4 and 5 on GBs in the 1.9 list. Leave them for the little guys. They are the cheapest way for them to buy BPs. That worked well for us. Often these go for competitive auction.The other thing you can do is talk to the little guys about maybe buying the occasional 3rd place. Yes, it is expensive, but probably not more so than the swaps. Having a 1.9 list in a guild tends to set prices at 1.9 levels whether or not the GB was actually advertised in the 1.9 list. If that is the case, then swappers are probably generally paying more because their ability to control how much they bid is curtailed placing the, at a disadvantage. 1.9 prices might be cheaper than what they’d get otherwise.

It’s nice to get medals too. If you want a ton of medals, just level up your arc. The 1.9 list isn’t the problem there.

Vger

Start with self levelling as the base method, which nobody does. The cost is GB Total cost. Very expensive.
That's not an accurate cost estimate for self leveling. You only put in enough of your own FPs to make it attractive for others to invest.
Cost would be GB Total cost - ( X times rewards). X will vary, depending on who your pool of potential investors are (including what their arc bonus is) and how much demand there is for the BPs. But X is never zero, which is what you are assuming.

DeletedUser38659

I don't know if it's been mentioned already but it should be the common belief. Swap threads are created for the players with high level GBs, and high city FP output, to take advantage of the Swap threads participants. They put the same GB in all the lower threads to force the next contributor to waste their prize hopes on bullies within the guild. I only use swap threads to push freeloaders off my prize lists. I started a guild on Walstrand server to show what an unselfish group can achieve but nobody has accepted invites so I let that city sit idle.

ODragon

I don't know if it's been mentioned already but it should be the common belief. Swap threads are created for the players with high level GBs, and high city FP output, to take advantage of the Swap threads participants.

Sounds like you are in the wrong guilds. Our high level members get our 1, 2 (sometimes 3) filled with the 1.8 or 1.9 thread, then swap for 4 and 5? Either way, people using the swap threads still have the chance of getting something AND they are guaranteed to get the FP they put up put back on their building. What's the issue?

Kranyar the Mysterious

You aren't forced to put your fp on that player's great building, so therefore they aren't being bullies. They are simply playing the game. You have plenty of other options if you don't like the swap threads in your guild, including doing private swaps, investing selectively on the swaps, or even changing guilds.

I get sick of hearing people complaining that anyone who has taken the time to build up their strength (whether fp or combat) is a bully because they took the time to learn how to play the game, and play it well.

RazorbackPirate

I don't know if it's been mentioned already but it should be the common belief. Swap threads are created for the players with high level GBs, and high city FP output, to take advantage of the Swap threads participants. They put the same GB in all the lower threads to force the next contributor to waste their prize hopes on bullies within the guild. I only use swap threads to push freeloaders off my prize lists. I started a guild on Walstrand server to show what an unselfish group can achieve but nobody has accepted invites so I let that city sit idle.
I agree with @ODragon. I've only had this issue with one guild. As soon as I saw what was going on, I found a new guild. There are many great unselfish guilds out there, no need to start your own. I personally would not join a start-up guild as they have very little to offer even to beginning players.

I've been in great guilds, and crappy guilds, the difference between them had very little to do with the swap threads, but the members within it and the leaders of it.

DeletedUser38659

I tried to post this but I believe my connection was bad.
My opinion is that a guild without strict rules on GB limits in each of the swap threads has put the swaps in place so that they can take advantage of the newer players whose GB can be leveled with a small fraction of the FP required for the GB of the "leaders". Many "leaders" will enter their GB into every thread including the lowest ones so that every class of player has to either contribute to the high level GB with no chance of a prize or wait until someone else bites the bullet.

My plan is for players with differing GBs of similar levels to build team to contribute between 3 and 5 FP to each member's GB and take turns in each position in the rotation so that no member wins the same position on the same member's GB within a 5 day period.

1.9 is awesome. I wish it worked for everyone but when it doesn't, find another way to promote growth within your guild instead of just for yourself.

DeletedUser38659

By the way My guild is called Thinkers Club. It makes sense that you guys would bash my way of thinking. Believe it or not, there are people in the real world who act like the followers in the guilds I described. People like you are the reason people like me have to be the ones to offer them a greatly improved and safe way to get what they need. No contribution threads needed but they actually help when I design them. Oh, this thread actually gave me what I need to effectively recruit. You aren't a complete waste of my time after all.

ODragon

My plan is for players with differing GBs of similar levels to build team to contribute between 3 and 5 FP to each member's GB and take turns in each position in the rotation so that no member wins the same position on the same member's GB within a 5 day period.

That sounds fine it you have months or years to upgrade one building...

Emberguard

I don't know if it's been mentioned already but it should be the common belief. Swap threads are created for the players with high level GBs, and high city FP output, to take advantage of the Swap threads participants.
That was never the intention of swap threads. It’s a byproduct primarily of guild size. You have 5 slots to give. The more players the less useful a swap thread becomes unless it’s lump sum.

RazorbackPirate

It makes sense that you guys would bash my way of thinking.
So you had a bad experience with a crappy guild. In no way is your experience indicative of how all guilds are run. In no way should your one bad experience be the common belief, because it's not the common practice. I've been in quite a few guilds, including on Walstrand, and I've only only experienced your issue with one guild on Rugnir. So no, your bad experience should NOT be the common belief, because it's not the common practice.

Now if you want to relate your experience as a cautionary tale for new player to be aware of, great. But to say that
Swap threads are created for the players with high level GBs, and high city FP output, to take advantage of the Swap threads participants.
Is just plain wrong. Thinkers Club as your guild name aside, I'll steal a phrase from @Algona and simply say your conclusions are based on "poor thinkery"

Algona

I'll steal a phrase from @Algona

You rang? Oh. Catching up.

your conclusions are based on "poor thinkery"

Wow. Agreed.

put the swaps in place so that they can take advantage of the newer players whose GB can be leveled with a small fraction of the FP required for the GB of the "leaders".

Completely wrong conclusion. Swap chain threads have been around years longer then players had access to Arc (good ol' Arc, warps everything it touches) and could seriously power GBs and that a lot of Guilds established those swap chains years ago.

I understand your underlying objection, players with high lvl GBs using mundane swap chains to backfill. That's suboptimal play on the high lvl GB owners part. It's bad for the Guild and the owner is using a far from efficient FP strategy. Advanced Guilds don't have swap chain threads; the players in those Guilds understand swap chains are an awful, awful way to utilize FPs. Advanced players in Guilds with swap chains don't use them.

By the way My guild is called Thinkers Club.

The one member 0 level Guild?

Ace, a player who has played as long as you have and whose main city has progressed only as far as yours has can not have the perspective or experience to understand the concepts you are trying to discuss. Your city is proof of that.

Instead of silliness like this:

this thread actually gave me what I need to effectively recruit. You aren't a complete waste of my time after all.

You should either join a good teaching Guild or ask in this forum for effective FP strategies. And help with a lot of other things you're doing wrong.

My plan is for players with differing GBs of similar levels to build team to contribute between 3 and 5 FP to each member's GB

Yeah, it's been done, if you ask, you can learn them. Or read this:

https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com...ap-you-have-been-a-part-of.26220/#post-257995

the reason people like me...

...are bad players is you don't listen to people. If you want to live up to your name and become exceptional at this game, you are going to have to chuck your awful attitude, understand you're bad, and decide to actively seek out players who will teach you how to play.

People like you are...

...laughing at you, not just at your choice of GBs, but because you'll never actually do what's recommended. Instead you'll just be another bad player who never gets it.

Last edited:

Kranyar the Mysterious

Well, looks like Xepshunall listened and joined a new guild. It's a decent guild, but beware of high level members using the swaps to prep their buildings for the 1.9 thread (that's why I left that guild earlier this year, not sure if the people who do that are still there).

DeletedUser38659

Actually, some of my strategies require more contacts so being alone in a guild makes for as few as roughly 66% of what I could have. I could show players how to advance quickly without being part of a clique within a guild. My intentions were to create a place where some of the players of FoE would gather to analyze the mechanics of GB development and it's impact on progression. The main theme would be a cooperative effort to bring every member up as quickly as possible such as is done in OUTA but without the Egos that are displayed openly by players who think of themselves as elite. I have worked out the mechanics of other games and risen to the top like a rocket. I'm most notable for my success and game play ethics at Pirates Glory. It's the direction the game moved in that got me to leave. Guild leaders requiring members to pay homage daily. If you think it's rare to fall into a guild in FoE where newer players are taken advantage of then you must have found a good home early on. Sure, OUTA is as you described but the leaders refuse to look at the flaws in their well-intentioned threads.
The title of this thread seemed to invite opinions the participants (with few exceptions) seem to want it to be a place to fight without decorum. I understand there's a barroom brawler in each of us but a forum that people will refer to for useful information is no place for such behavior. We come for enlightenment. So far I find little value in the thread except to locate players in the guilds of the fighters and invite them to a Utopian environment.

DeletedUser38659

I just read some more of your comments and despite your intentions to ridicule and belittle me. I excel on Langendorn server (11) and have earned respect from the players that I have rewarded for their generosity and team spirit.

DeletedUser38659

And for the record, I treat the swaps the same on that server as i do on any other and there is no 1.xx thread groups in Rogue Rangers.

DeletedUser38659

Well, looks like Xepshunall listened and joined a new guild. It's a decent guild, but beware of high level members using the swaps to prep their buildings for the 1.9 thread (that's why I left that guild earlier this year, not sure if the people who do that are still there).

I joined whatever guild I'm in on Walstrand solely to have more high level players to aid for prints and I hadn't even noticed a 1.xx thread because I leave most guild threads asap if I stay long enough for them to think I've settled. And again, I will only keep the lowest swaps to move parasites out of the spots that would profit them on my GB.

RazorbackPirate

I joined whatever guild I'm in on Walstrand solely to have more high level players to aid for prints and I hadn't even noticed a 1.xx thread because I leave most guild threads asap if I stay long enough for them to think I've settled. And again, I will only keep the lowest swaps to move parasites out of the spots that would profit them on my GB.
Seems then, you're missing half the point of a good guild. If all you're doing for higher age prints is hitting the aid button, you're seriously slowing down your game. Seems you need some understanding of swaps.

It also sounds like you're self leveling. Send me a FR. I'll be happy to snipe you for profit when your GBs are ready.