1. Cultural Settlement - Feudal Japan

Arising from the Sengoku period of Feudal Japan, the clan of Akechi Mitsuhide has requested your help.
    As the Daimyo of his village, it is your task to lead the Feudal Japan to prosperity! Detailed information here!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Changelog 1.153

Hello Queens and Kings,
    The update to 1.156 will take place on Wed, July 10, 2019. There will be a short period of downtime during the update, we apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
    For the detailed description of the upcoming changes, please see the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. GvG Improvements

Hello Queens and Kings,
    We'd like to keep you updated on what we're planning to do, as we're about to get started on implementing the following improvements, and would love to hear some community insight into if you feel these additions address some of the fundamental issues GvG faces.
    For the detailed description of the upcoming changes, please see the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

[Not A Bug] Tavern grammar errors

Discussion in 'Addressed' started by agamemnus, Jul 26, 2017.

1. agamemnus

agamemnus Member

1) In the Tavern tooltip display for various floors, "whenever you visit a friends' tavern" should be "whenever you visit a friend's tavern"

2) In the Tavern building tooltip in the main game window, "Click to visit Tavern" should be "Click to visit the Your Tavern." or "Click to visit your Friends Tavern."

It seems these issues are arising because you guys haven't nailed down whether these are Taverns or Friends Taverns, with the resulting grammar Wild West. If it is the latter, (1) would look like "Whenever you visit a friend's Friends Tavern"....

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    RobinHood70 and Kataphractos like this.
  2. Stephen Longshanks

Stephen Longshanks Well-Known Member

They are, in all official writings that I have seen, called Friends Taverns. I'm guessing because it's a Tavern where your friends can visit. And it's kind of ironic that while complaining about Inno's alleged grammatical errors, you commit one yourself by referring to it as "Friend's Taverns", which would make no sense at all. It is your Tavern, not your friend's Tavern. Although, bottom line is that this is all much ado about nothing.

iujmhar likes this.
  3. Kataphractos

Kataphractos Guest

Presumably because nobody working for InnoGames owns a thesaurus, there are two completely separate kinds of "tavern" in the game. The first is a Bronze-Age cultural building, simply called the "Tavern", which provides happiness and should be replaced with the "Inn" once you reach the Early Middle Ages. The second is the building outside your city, introduced late last year, which is technically called the "Friends Tavern". But nobody -- including the developers talking about "Tavern Silver" rather than "Friends Tavern Silver" -- seems to use the "Friends" part of the name with any kind of consistency. (Possibly because they're all playing at such advanced levels, they've forgotten the Bronze Age even exists.)

Grammatically, where you put the apostrophe depends on who visits where. If you're visiting the Friends Tavern which you own, then of course it's "your Friends Tavern". But if you're visiting the Friends Tavern owned by your friend, then it's "your friend's Friends Tavern". Only if you're visiting several Friends Taverns, which are owned by multiple friends, does it become "your friends' Friends Taverns". So you're both right...and once again, the need for a thesaurus in InnoGames headquarters becomes painfully clear.

agamemnus likes this.
  4. Stephen Longshanks

Stephen Longshanks Well-Known Member

I would say that people drop the "Friends" part of it when referring to it, because the context will easily tell you which one they're talking about. For instance, when referring to Tavern Silver, there is no context for that with the Bronze Age building, so it is obvious which building you're talking about. So, for the sake of brevity it is just referred to as "Tavern Silver", because everyone understands it.

5. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I am labelling this not a bug, as it isn't a bug...just poor spelling or grammer...lol

6. Joanna 190 the warrior

Joanna 190 the warrior New Member

But problems with the new update.. my Forge Points aren't filling in all of the worlds I play in. Kind of irritating as I'm doing swaps with people and anytime I log out and then back in it restarts back at 1 hour

7. agamemnus

agamemnus Member

@Maestro:

Incorrect spelling and grammar is, technically, a bug.

But in any case, if it is not a bug, WHERE DO I REPORT IT?!?

But in any any case, I have beta-tested other things before, and a grammar or spelling error has always been considered a bug.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    RobinHood70 likes this.
  8. Dursland

Dursland I am Dursland Forum Moderator

Since you posted it here, the devs are aware of it. I'd suspect this would be extremely low priority for them though.

Good spotting, let us know if you find more.

RobinHood70 likes this.
  9. ardak kumerin

ardak kumerin Well-Known Member

695acce86886702d04f5364de99e0549.png

Friends' can also mean Plural of multiple friends.

10. agamemnus

agamemnus Member

Yes, but in that case it was an adjective.

11. clesindl30

clesindl30 New Member

lol i think the grammar is correct in friend's tavern if you ask me