• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

The Basics: Improving Army

DeletedUser

I'm new to FoE and have been progressing nicely but I just lost my first battle once I reached the 4th area on the map.

My question is very basic: what's the first and most obvious way to upgrade your army? I had a full 8 troops...I think it was 3 slingers and 5 normal spear fighters. I'm trying to find something to do in army management but don't see any options...

any help is appreciated. Thanks.

DeletedUser2145

There is no direct way of upgrading your army. To obtain better units you would need to add new better military buildings and then produce those new units.

However, you may want to simply try and switch the units you're using. For example slingers are good versus some type of units. Spearfighers can be good versus some type of units. But both of them have their "counter-units" so if you're facing those you will have a hard time with that army. You may need to try a different combination.

If you can let us know what units you're facing we can let you know what might work best.

DeletedUser10806

Also take advantage of any terrain defense bonuses your units have and try to position them there. Keep slingers behind a defensive wall of spearmen.
I'm terrible at fighting so take my advise with a bucket of salt!

DeletedUser8796

Another big game changer is attack boosting GB's IE: Zeus. Getting one ( or more) of the atk GB's can give you an edge against other armies.

DeletedUser

Another big game changer is attack boosting GB's IE: Zeus. Getting one ( or more) of the atk GB's can give you an edge against other armies.

GBs? Sorry, I'm a total noob. I'm impressed nobody harassed me for asking dumb questions though, thanks for that!

Btw I'm in Badakus, the avatars of the enemy army looks like archers and swordsman...

While I have you guys, can someone give me a kind of crash course summary of how the "ages" work? Do I just keep completing the tasks and eventually evolve into a new age? The army I'm fighting definitely looks like they're in a more advanced age...should I have evolved by now?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser10806

Or join a guild, trade your goods and look to barter your way out of trouble!

DeletedUser6172

To vastly oversimplify the game:
  • If you negotiate your way through the provinces, you'll max out your tech tree with fewer than 500,000 global rank points, because you'll have very few battle points.
  • If you attack your way through the provinces, you'll max out your tech tree with more than 1,000,000 global rank points.

The game is far more balanced, and more interesting even if you don't actually like PvP, if you try to attack each province sector, at least twice, before you give up and negotiate. Your goods and military will be nicely balanced if you use goods for the Tech Tree and military units for the provinces.

Your ability to attack province sectors, and win most of the time, should be your primary throttle on how fast you progress through your tech tree.

DeletedUser5556

Up thru the Late Middle ages each age has a light, fast, heavy, short ranged, and long ranged unit. In Bronze age they wear blue uniforms and are light=spearman, fast=horseman(pretty useless), heavy=warrior, short ranged=slinger, and long range=thrower. In Iron age they wear red and light=spearman, fast=mounted warrior (much more usefull than horseman), heavy=legionair, short ranged=archer, and long ranged=ballista. Each age's units have more attack and defense than the last making them stronger. What type of terrain and which unit to go against that are most favorable to a certain type of unit seems to stay the same with all ages.
TIP; Don't try to push to far ahead of your tech on the map. It makes doing some of the millitary quests for special events too difficult to complete. I skip taking some provinces that have trasure chest only and aren't part of a neccesary regular quest and save them for special events quests.