• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

The electoral college, how archaic is it? and who does it really benefit?

DeletedUser

The electoral college was created at the inception of this once great nation to support the farming and illiterates that were the victors in a real close call of a war.
Not forgetting that the immigrants that came here were of European decent, (yes even the Spanish, from whom I descend from) were as educated as you could get in Europe early 1700's, there needed to be a way to closely represent the peoples and the land owners in this new democracy. Unlike the English, there had to be some sort of governing of the election system. The best solution was submitted and it was to work until no longer needed. People now can read, and well... though their writing skills seem to lack... No Wat I m syin? :))... R U folwin me?
Why do we need it any longer? And who benefits from it but those that redraw constituent lines every two years when their numbers fall below their expectations. Republicans as well as democrats. Also, A state was promised = vote for = nation.... Really? 2000 farmers can Dictate what 33 miilion people quest?
I think that need to be revamped to SGP (state growth product)
Anyways.
Any thought (on the topic)?:hmph:

DeletedUser

It's useless, and we're far from getting rid of it or restructuring it.

DeletedUser34

electorial college is worthless, but then this government is not the government that the forefathers set up, so the way it is meant to work is fine....IT works just fine, the country has changed.

DeletedUser

America, the great democracy where the people lead the government vote for president vote for who else may vote for president.

DeletedUser34

America, the great democracy where the people lead the government vote for president vote for who else may vote for president.

Actually The forefathers didn't think everyone was informed enough to make the decision. They didn't truly want it open for everyone. It was a republic...now it is as we can see a rather useless hodgepodge of who is better looked at by the media, and then which groups can pay to have the most people register and show up. OH and let us not forget the dead voting. That is my biggest beef.

DeletedUser

Actually The forefathers didn't think everyone was informed enough to make the decision. They didn't truly want it open for everyone. It was a republic...
Most people still aren't these days, albeit more than 538... :p

DeletedUser

So I'm not alone on this.... so if we pass this on, verbally, there be a time when enough people ask it, and then it becomes news.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Dead people voting, huh. Might I recommend this bit of reading? All nicely cited. I haven't read the whole thing yet but I've read the part that addresses this concern. Suffice to say there is no need to be concerned.

DeletedUser34

lol....I am not reading anything about dead people voting :p
Why? Because I just got another voters card in the mail for my father....he has been dead since 07. They have gawd only knows how many death certificates sent to them. I finally sent them one certified a few years ago...signed for it and all. And yet somehow, just in time to vote in the primaries, what did I get? Another freaking voter card........Dead people voting will always be a joke with me because of how I am having to pull teeth to get him off the roster.

oh yeah, and since nobody wants to card people to vote, I could really hand his card off to anyone. I wouldn't, but if I am still getting a dead mans voter card, how many others out there do you think there are? And it isn't hard to find out who are dead, it is all public record. Wouldn't take rocket science to do a few. And in elections that are CLOSE.....every little bit counts. And lately we have had a few close elections.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I'll accept that whoever's handling that in your area is completely incompetent (or overworked or undertrained or whatever), but it's extreeeeemely rare for a ballot to be cast in the name of a dead person. Like I'm sure it's possible but I haven't seen any documented cases in which it actually happened.

Also the penalty for voter fraud is sooooo not worth one extra vote.

DeletedUser34

hahahaha seriously, the new black panthers seem to get away with everything these days, voter fraud allegations are just the starters. I can give you a list of things they are willing to do, and a list of things they DO do, and when we are done, I can start over, with new ones. And lets not forget good ole Acorn.......nice folks there yeehaw

DeletedUser

One scandal at one location and you're branded for life... as for the panthers, I'll be needing citation once more :p Allegations are not convictions, incidentally. People love throwing around allegations of voter fraud whenever they don't get what they want from democracy, but for some reason it never amounts to much. A lot of smoke, no fire.

DeletedUser34

LOL...funny you are, there wasn't even an investigation worth a salt in response to THE allegations. However, putting a public bounty on a mans head, oh wait...same thing....no investigation was done, although there was no END of proof in action.

DeletedUser

Like I said, citation please.

As for the bounty, yes, that was one of the things that I severely disapproved of, to put it very lightly.