• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

The latest on Global warming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser35375

It has been proven without any doubts that the earth's temperature has risen + 4 degree's in a 100 years, caused by man-made pollution. Yet the Trump Environmental people have their heads in the sand. saying it is not so. with their hand out for the money from the polluters who want no change, so they can make money.

DeletedUser26965

has risen + 4 degree's
Wow, I'm pretty sure the theory on anthropomorphic climate change states once the world average temperature hits 3+ degrees we're in absolute worldwide total cataclysmic all species wiped forever from the earth state of being and now it seems we're surpassed that ay? Huh, would wouldathunk it.

there's already a thread on this stuff: Global Cooling(oops) how about warming?

Freshmeboy

The temperature on this planet has and never will be static...the warming period we are in now is a long one, longest in the last 300,000 years...Take a look at the Greenland Ice sheet project of 1995 to get a better understanding of climate change and realize our planet is affected by a vast amount of variables and our weather is part of a solar system wide process we still don't understand.

DeletedUser35375

Wow, I'm pretty sure the theory on anthropomorphic climate change states once the world average temperature hits 3+ degrees we're in absolute worldwide total cataclysmic all species wiped forever from the earth state of being and now it seems we're surpassed that ay? Huh, would wouldathunk it.

there's already a thread on this stuff: Global Cooling(oops) how about warming?
At this point, they are not willing to say worldwide cataclysmic yet. but if you take into account micro Islands already being flooded

DeletedUser35375

The temperature on this planet has and never will be static...the warming period we are in now is a long one, longest in the last 300,000 years...Take a look at the Greenland Ice sheet project of 1995 to get a better understanding of climate change and realize our planet is affected by a vast amount of variables and our weather is part of a solar system wide process we still don't understand.
True, it is not understood very well. But the earth's map has changed quite a lot from the time of Greece Plato's time. much change

DeletedUser35375

True, it is not understood very well. But the earth's map has changed quite a lot from the time of Greece Plato's time. much change
I had to add that the pillar's of Hercules used to be connected. now it is not. so a lot of change has occurred on planet earth.

Freshmeboy

A lot of change...? That's miniscule compared to the last 13,000 years when the oceans were an estimated 300+ feet lower than today due to the massive ice sheets that covered North America and Asia. Gone were the arboreal forests of Canada and Siberia and roughly ten million square miles of land were exposed by receded oceans....This planet, like the organisms that thrive on it, are in a constant state of change, volcanically, tectonically and climatically.....Gaining a broader perspective of our planet by thinking cosmologically rather than with geological determinism is necessary to a better understanding of our climate...

RazorbackPirate

It has been proven without any doubts that the earth's temperature has risen + 4 degree's in a 100 years, caused by man-made pollution. Yet the Trump Environmental people have their heads in the sand. saying it is not so. with their hand out for the money from the polluters who want no change, so they can make money.

Yes indeed, proven without a doubt. Seems like there might be some actual scientists who might disagree.

April 2018 Was Coldest in 20 Years, What Does This Mean for Climate ...
www.newsweek.com/april-colder-average-temperature-noaa-climate-922319

May 11, 2018 - Spring was a bit of a late bloomer this year, and cold temperatures affected much of the contiguous United States for the month of April. In fact ...
April 2018 Was the Coldest in Two Decades For the Continental U.S. ...
https://weather.com/.../2018-05-08-april-2018-record-cold-temperatures-united-states-...

May 8, 2018 - The Lower 48 as a whole finished as the 13th coldest April on record and the coldest since 1997.
Is 2018 the coldest UK winter on record? | The Week UK
www.theweek.co.uk › Weather

Mar 1, 2018 - The icy grip of the so-called Beast from the East continues to tighten on the British Isles, with more snow, wind and punishingly cold ...

April cold: It was the USA's coldest April in more than 20 years
https://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2018/05/08/...coldest...years/590122002/

May 8, 2018 - If you thought it was unusually cold last month, you were right: April 2018 was the USA's coldest April in 21 years, a new report says.

It's the coldest and snowiest April on record near the Great Lakes, and ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/.../2018/.../its-the-coldest-and-snowiest-april-on-record...
Apr 18, 2018 - Winter weather advisories and winter storm warnings stretch from southwest South ... Brian Brettschneider (@Climatologist49) April 17, 2018.

But please continue. Enlighten us with your vast expertise. No need to let some pesky facts get in the way.

Last edited:

DeletedUser13838

I didn't realize scientitsts publsihed their peer reviewed studies in newsweek, usa today etc. ;)

Freshmeboy

Check out what the Russian solar scientists have to say..they are the world renowned experts in solar .since the sixties...might freak you out a bit..

RazorbackPirate

I didn't realize scientists published their peer reviewed studies in newsweek, usa today etc. ;)

No, but reporters write articles about peer reviewed studies in these publications and many of those reporters cite the original peer reviewed study they are reporting on.

But you already know all that, but since it does not fit your narrative, you'll just try to imply that the evidence is somehow suspect, or irrelevant.. So save your talking points, and the lame little 'gotcha' smiley for someone else.

And since I'm not going to do your homework for you, I just did a quick Google search and posted the first few links to the many articles that have reported that so far, 2018 is proving to be the coldest year on record. I know this, because it's been in the news lately, but I'm sure this is the first you've heard of it, and will simply dismiss it, since again, it doesn't fit your narrative.

So why don't you go read the articles, find the studies they're writing about, read those studies and come back to us why all those studies are invalid, and all those scientists are wrong. When you do come back,having read the studies, please let us know where you got your Doctorate in Climatology, and where you're currently employed in the field.

In the meantime, until you come back to prove those scientists wrong, I'll just trust what those scientists, you know, the ones actually working in the field, and doing the research have to say.

DeletedUser35375

An update to global warming. Did you know that the forest fire's up north & the volcano eruptions, three mind you worldwide. are contributing factors to global warming. natural factor's not man-made.

DeletedUser35375

I didn't realize scientitsts publsihed their peer reviewed studies in newsweek, usa today etc. ;)
They publish thru all media to try and get the word out. It is hard to get enough people to agree. so the more you throw out there to get people to listen before it is too late.

DeletedUser35375

No, but reporters write articles about peer reviewed studies in these publications and many of those reporters cite the original peer reviewed study they are reporting on.

But you already know all that, but since it does not fit your narrative, you'll just try to imply that the evidence is somehow suspect, or irrelevant.. So save your talking points, and the lame little 'gotcha' smiley for someone else.

And since I'm not going to do your homework for you, I just did a quick Google search and posted the first few links to the many articles that have reported that so far, 2018 is proving to be the coldest year on record. I know this, because it's been in the news lately, but I'm sure this is the first you've heard of it, and will simply dismiss it, since again, it doesn't fit your narrative.

So why don't you go read the articles, find the studies they're writing about, read those studies and come back to us why all those studies are invalid, and all those scientists are wrong. When you do come back,having read the studies, please let us know where you got your Doctorate in Climatology, and where you're currently employed in the field.

In the meantime, until you come back to prove those scientists wrong, I'll just trust what those scientists, you know, the ones actually working in the field, and doing the research have to say.
Stay Frosty. I am with you brother on this. It is going to take some time to sway the non-believer's who physical need to see the effect right in their backyards.

DeletedUser13838

My narrative? You have no idea what my "narrative" is. The point is that reporters are not trained in science and universally do a poor job of science reporting in almost every field. Sometimes it's not even their fault as they rely on press releases from universities or government offices which are also often poorly written. There are just so many examples of this to make one wary of relying on the mainstream media for science information (and perhaps a lot of other things).

Here is the climate report for May 2018 from the NOAA.

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/national-climate-201805

But go ahead and believe that you can better rely on science reporting from newsweek or People magazine.

RazorbackPirate

Here is the climate report for May 2018 from the NOAA.

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/national-climate-201805

But go ahead and believe that you can better rely on science reporting from newsweek or People magazine.

I never said I was going to rely on science reporting, and certainly not from two publications I never read anyway. What I said was,

I'll just trust what those scientists, you know, the ones actually working in the field, and doing the research have to say.

Nice attempt at twisting my words though. Oh, and speaking of scientists:

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/national-climate-201804

Yeah, those same ones.

DeletedUser13838

I never said I was going to rely on science reporting, and certainly not from two publications I never read anyway. What I said was,

Nice attempt at twisting my words though. Oh, and speaking of scientists:

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/national-climate-201804

Yeah, those same ones.
You should have posted this intially then rather than the articles from newsweek that you claim you never read. I agree that the temperature has been fluctuating the past couple of months (cold April, hot May). I'm not sure what it has to do with global warming, though. My only point here is that the only reliable way of knowing what scientists are saying is to go to the source. Otherwise what you read is layered with various levels of bias on top of the science. This is sespecially true in politically hot topics and other areas with a lot of for-profit pseudoscience including health and nutrition. You read far too much into my post.

Freshmeboy

Problem is that most of what is being churned out there is from the IPCC, whose mandate is carbon emissions from humans...while it tells part of the tale, by itself it is not conclusive. Far too many variables in our planet's weather and its history to use IPCC models to forecast future weather models or planet wide climate change. It's unfortunate the IPCC is so close minded to other scientists' findings in solar science and Milankovitch cycles as well as completely ignoring ice core data. My hope is that they induce humans to recycle and use more renewable resources and cleaner energy production....

get back to me when you have proof that man put us in the last ice age and then how man took us out of it......the climate is always changing always has always will. the earth has short term (the 4 seasons) and long term heating and cooling. man cannot stop this even if he could we wouldn't like the results. all this said polluting our planet is beyond insane. we need get off fossil fuels..wind power is not the answer as it take nearly the same amount of energy to build 1 mill as it would produce in it's lifetime and deadly to birds.....solar power i think is the best way if we can make it affordable and incorporate it in building materials, window panes / roofing material

DeletedUser35877

Local weather is not the same as global climate. Yes, there is natural variation, but the off cited solar differences due to orbit ought to be making the climate colder at the moment, yet 8 of the 10 hottest years on record are in the last 10 years.

Since the oxygen is coming from the air, each pound of gasoline produces about 3 pounds of co2. Now how many tons of gasoline do we burn each year?

Status
Not open for further replies.